Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 12:17 PM

914 posts, read 943,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
EPA regulations killed the space shuttle astronauts by requiring a change in insulation.
Can you prove that?
That's a pretty tall assertion.

Yes, we all know the insulation failing was what caused the 2003 Shuttle disaster over Texas. But can you say the original insulation would not have done the same thing?

And if they knew there was a problem they should have tried to repair it while it was still up there, at the ISS.

Some of the insulation routinely came off during launches, even with the older insulation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 12:52 PM

3,046 posts, read 6,288,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalisiin View Post
And if weren't for unions in the past winning the things I mentioned, you would NOT have what you have now without a union.

Don't even pretend otherwise.

Unions when they represented the workers were fine. But they have NO PLACE in politics, and their resentment towards workers who do not want to vote for the idiot baby murderers of the dimwit democratic party is not where the Unions belong. But because they injected theirself into those areas, and have repeatily been found to use membership dues for democratic party bs, why would you want them around you at all? It's not like they are honest with the workers either!!! My opinion of the uaw after being in the uaw is until they are all locked up for their crimes, no way would I ever go to work anywhere again I was forced to pay them a penny!

Old 12-15-2013, 01:30 PM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalisiin View Post
Can you prove that?
That's a pretty tall assertion.

Yes, we all know the insulation failing was what caused the 2003 Shuttle disaster over Texas. But can you say the original insulation would not have done the same thing?

And if they knew there was a problem they should have tried to repair it while it was still up there, at the ISS.

Some of the insulation routinely came off during launches, even with the older insulation.
Did NASA Ignore Damage to Columbia? - ABC News

Quote, That foam — still in use today — was designed to be environmentally friendly, but created another set of problems, Katnik said.

"However, the foam composition changed ever so slightly … and would cause little air pockets to form, which would expand at altitude and pop the foam off. We actually called it popcorning, because it looked like little bits of popcorn coming off," he said."

Old 12-15-2013, 03:08 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Versus a non union shop where the one who gets ahead is the best brown noser, the boss's nephew or the boss's golfing buddy. LOL
Most commonly, it's the one that is the smartest, works the hardest and makes the owners the most money. You know...like employees are supposed to do.

Old 12-15-2013, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
Unions when they represented the workers were fine. But they have NO PLACE in politics, and their resentment towards workers who do not want to vote for the idiot baby murderers of the dimwit democratic party is not where the Unions belong. But because they injected theirself into those areas, and have repeatily been found to use membership dues for democratic party bs, why would you want them around you at all? It's not like they are honest with the workers either!!! My opinion of the uaw after being in the uaw is until they are all locked up for their crimes, no way would I ever go to work anywhere again I was forced to pay them a penny!
Baby murderers? You mean PRO-CHOICE people? I happen to BE a Democrat, thanks. And until they get rid of the mean-spirited, racist and overzealous "religious" nuts in the Republican Party, they have nothing to say that I want to hear.

Let's examine the right-to-lifers, shall we??

They support the south American death squads
They support the death penalty
They are against gun control
They are against nuclear weapons control

When they say "right to life" they are talking about THEIR RIGHT...to decide which people should live or die!!

Old 12-15-2013, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Did NASA Ignore Damage to Columbia? - ABC News

Quote, That foam — still in use today — was designed to be environmentally friendly, but created another set of problems, Katnik said.

"However, the foam composition changed ever so slightly … and would cause little air pockets to form, which would expand at altitude and pop the foam off. We actually called it popcorning, because it looked like little bits of popcorn coming off," he said."
If they knew about this...then you'd think that they would have made contingency plans for Shuttle astronauts themselves, to have the material onboard, and the ability to go on a spacewalk to fix it if needed.

It would seem to me, from what you just said...that it was not the insulation that was the problem...but, rather, negligence on the part of NASA, who seem to have known about this problem yet did nothing.

Old 12-15-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Most commonly, it's the one that is the smartest, works the hardest and makes the owners the most money. You know...like employees are supposed to do.
Bull. My brother is a consummate brown-nose artist, and that was how he got ahead. He is a truly loathsome and rotten person through and through.

Old 12-15-2013, 05:47 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
The woman may be smart and all of that, but nothing can save GM; not even Merkel, the German leader, because the company can't sustain the high worker wages and pensions for retired workers. In fact, if our state of the economy continues the way it has for the past few years, probably all of us, our children, and our children's children will pay taxes up our noses.

Old 12-15-2013, 06:24 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
That's what we tell kids when they are growing up.....but that is hardly reality.

IRL....not only do you have to be good at your job.....but you must also be a "team player".

Translation: You better be real good at office politics and the art of manipulation if you plan on getting ahead....skill alone won't do it.

You know the mantra nowadays......NETWORK, NETWORK, NETWORK. What do you think that means?

It's not what you know.....it's WHO you know.

Old 12-15-2013, 06:48 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
That's what we tell kids when they are growing up.....but that is hardly reality.

IRL....not only do you have to be good at your job.....but you must also be a "team player".

Translation: You better be real good at office politics and the art of manipulation if you plan on getting ahead....skill alone won't do it.

You know the mantra nowadays......NETWORK, NETWORK, NETWORK. What do you think that means?

It's not what you know.....it's WHO you know.
It's generally a combination of the two things. Unless it's a family business and you're the owner's son or daughter, it's hard to get above a certain point without being good at your job on some level. But without the ability to work well with others, good job skills can only get you so far.

I have no desire to be a CEO but I've risen relatively far, and it's not as hard as some may imagine. I haven't been excessively engaged in all the political stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive