Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 02:26 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
You're trying to tell me that people will actually buy your 250k+ trucks?
My brother just sold his 1998 Ford F-150 with 296,000 miles on it. To someone who lives in Bakersfield.

Old 12-13-2013, 04:48 PM

50,786 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
How much is that new used car again? You're crying over having a $2200 repair bill but put you're running to the dealer to buy a USED car with some BS aftermarket warranty which is nothing more than a feel good piece of paper ( and you will pay about $1200 for that aftermarket warranty if you purchase it) that covers next to nothing and you're buying a what? 12-16k used car? You seem to think that buying a used car at a dealer somehow magically won't require repairs because the dealer doesn't sell cars that break down.

RIP your wallet for the next 60 months

My trucks have 150k and 197k. When I get to 250-280k I may sell them and get something else.
I too faced this decision, when the transmission on my '98 Acura went at 180,000 miles. It cost me $2200 plus the cost of a rental car for several days, but it now has close to 300,000 miles on it. It was definitely worth putting the money into it, and I'm glad I did it.

Old 12-13-2013, 05:20 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
Interesting read on a boring work day...yeah a 2005 Honda, and trying to put it into its grave? Say it aint so Gizmo! I just got my newest car ever, at 46, a 2000 Lexus. Whoo! I'm glad these people convinced you not to bury your 8 year old Honda. I just sold my 19 year old Honda recently, and that was only because people kept stealing it!
Nobody convinced me of anything, I'm still selling the car.

I didn't start this thread for advice on fixing vs selling, good as their intentions may be, as I've already made my decision. Not sure how many times I can say it, but I DON'T HAVE THE MONEY for such an expensive repair! My financial situation is much different than most, where I have to worry more about current expenses than long-term. So while I appreciate those who've tried to help, they cannot truly advise me without knowing the full (money) story.

Old 12-13-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRdad View Post
$2200 is way too much. clutch replacement on my all wheel drive mitsubishi car costs $450-700 plus the clutch/PP/bearing which is ~$300
Do you live in the Bay Area? If not, your experience is moot... people who don't live here really can't fathom how expensive everything is! When you're in a region where the AVERAGE rent on a 1-bedroom apartment is $1800-2000, good deals on anything rarely exist. Sad but true.

Old 12-13-2013, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Make sure you come here for advice on a new purchase because you know you can always count on good guesses here.
Haha. Don't worry, I already pretty much know what I want! Probably going for a Mazda3 hatchback, if I can find a good deal on a 6-speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
You can get 5800 for it, as is? SOLD.

Buy a NEW Mazda or whatever the car of choice is (pay NO MORE than the dealer's invoice cost) and move along. Do Not buy any of the other crap which the dealer will try to sell you.....insurance, warranty, clear coat, etc.

Way too much drama for 'just a car'.
I agree - this whole situation is too much drama for me, especially right now (with my work schedule being crazier than usual). Still haven't decided whether to go new or certified used, so I'll figure that out later.

Picked up my sister's BMW today, so at least I have wheels in the meantime... and as we "speak," I'm sitting at the DMV waiting to handle that title issue. Not too bad for the DMV today, but when will they ever find a way to streamline this process? So many people out of work these days, maybe the DMV should like double their staff.

Old 12-13-2013, 05:31 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Note that I didn't ask for opinions on whether to fix or trade/sell, and even said my financial situation is too complicated to explain here... I'm only sharing the info about my car, and asking for advice on how (and for how much) to sell it.

And for the record, I will only buy new or certified used - not some used clunker with a useless warranty.
If you buy only new or CPO you are paying too much. Do you have a friend who actually knows cars? You can find some good rigs out there for $5K or less *if* you know what you are looking at.

One place to start is the Consumer Reports recommended and "to avoid" used car lists.

Old 12-13-2013, 05:36 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
Wow. I just listed it on CL to see what would happen, at $3000 AS IS with all issues disclosed... within an hour I had about 20 replies, including offers (with local phone numbers to contact) up to $5800. I'm sure some of them are bogus, but apparently I low-balled myself!

Guess I'll delete the post, and re-list for a higher asking price when I'm 100% ready - oh, and the lien/title app arrived in the mail today, so I'm good to go on that. Serendipitously, I already had a DMV appt scheduled at 3pm tomorrow.
If you can get $5800 for a non-drivable Accord with a CEL set, all I can say is "wow". That's a lot of cash for a car that the buyer has to tow away.

Old 12-13-2013, 05:48 PM

708 posts, read 1,060,223 times
I just bought an '07 Accord when my '99 was diagnosed with a "terminal illness.' I think I understand your decision,(I didn't want to put money into an old car) so I wish you the best of luck with your new car.Luckily for me the previous owner was diligent about maintaining the '07, so it drives and feels like new.

Old 12-13-2013, 06:32 PM

2,573 posts, read 3,503,431 times
Quote:
Wow. I just listed it on CL to see what would happen, at $3000 AS IS with all issues disclosed... within an hour I had about 20 replies, including offers (with local phone numbers to contact) up to $5800. I'm sure some of them are bogus, but apparently I low-balled myself!

Guess I'll delete the post, and re-list for a higher asking price when I'm 100% ready - oh, and the lien/title app arrived in the mail today, so I'm good to go on that. Serendipitously, I already had a DMV appt scheduled at 3pm tomorrow.

My suggestions:

1) I will try to keep the car unless I want to be car-free for some reason. I think clutch should not be that expensive. Maybe try a few different mechanics and see what they have to say?

2) I wouldn't trust what people are offering right now on CL. Be very careful when dealing with them. I would first make sure if I am going to keep the car somehow. If you decide you have to let it go - only then talk to them. I have dealt with CL before and people would say anything to come and frustrate you and then go away with your stuff with much less money. You think you can always say no - believe me people get frustrated. I will not say all are same but this happens.

3) If I have to sell I will try to sell it on CL rather than going to dealer or whatever you said it was.

Old 12-13-2013, 06:32 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,744,746 times
If your credit card can do it you can call your credit card for a 0% interest special for maybe 9 months and put the clutch repair on that. And a new clutch in 119K miles means you are abusing your clutch and you don't know know how to driuve a M/T car well. Maybe you burn your clutch a lot.

I bought my 99 Civic HX with 99K miles and at 132K miles the clutch is still strong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive