Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 02:17 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,109,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
When I used to drive 4 banngers, they were floored for long periods of time heading up to the mountains (from 5K ft to 12Kft). They were so down on power you had to shift down to 3rd to get any acceleration.

Must have put over 100,000 miles on those two cars. Never an issue.

Now I drive turbos. They will do 100mph over the passes where the little NA engines would top out at 55. So obviously there is never a situation where the car is floored for more that 10-12 seconds. One of them is pushing 450hp and close to 1,000lbft of torque - 150K miles on the clock. The other has 120K miles.

As long as you keep up with maintenance you should be fine on any public roads. Race track is OBVIOUSLY a totally different story.
That is perfectly fine for driving but just remember with turbos spooled up like that you have to let them spool down a bit before shutting the engine off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 02:32 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,831,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post
That is perfectly fine for driving but just remember with turbos spooled up like that you have to let them spool down a bit before shutting the engine off.
Yeah, that is noteworthy.

You don't want to be hammering the turbo and switch the thing off within 60 seconds or so. But it's pretty hard to find a situation where that would happen. Most of the time it takes that long to pull of the highway and find a place to fill up or get coffee etc.

Actually I wish the turbo in the Forester would die. I'd love to upgrade it, but the darn thing won't quit.

Old 12-17-2013, 05:12 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
The lima 2.3 has a stronger block. I forgot the details of it other than being iron. Its also their size, a fairly karge block that weighs about the same as a 302 block.
four cylinder, five main bearings, very tough little engine. it can handle more than 500hp easily, where a 302 block would split in two pieces.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:06 PM

886 posts, read 5,713,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
It's a modded Ram with the Cummins 5.9 turbo diesel.

1,000 lbft sounds like a lot, but it is a 9,000lb truck. It will break the rear tires loose in 6th if you're not careful.
1,000 is not a lot from a diesel. Its a very respectable number. I have a pair of Duramaxes my self and I had a 98 cummins that was p-pumped that was a great truck just not as nice as my duramax.

Old 12-17-2013, 10:24 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,831,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usafracer View Post
1,000 is not a lot from a diesel. Its a very respectable number. I have a pair of Duramaxes my self and I had a 98 cummins that was p-pumped that was a great truck just not as nice as my duramax.
Yeah that's what I was getting at with my "sounds like a lot, but it's a 9,000lb truck" comment.

Duramax's are nice!

Old 12-18-2013, 06:11 AM

331 posts, read 592,191 times
I like to floor it when passing semis on the highway,
I wanna get past trucks as quick as possible.

I like to think flooring it also helps "clear" out the engine

Old 12-18-2013, 06:17 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
My normal passing technique on a two lane road is to check for a clear road about 50 ft. behind the slower car then apply full power as I pull out into the other lane and hold it until I complete the pass. This minimizes the time I am exposed to oncoming traffic. Most drivers seem to have forgotten how to pass on the two lane roads.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:22 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
Remind me to never buy a used car from you.
LOL! Agreed!

That statement about flooring ("ABUSING" is a better word) your car all of the time will not hurt it is the craziest thing I have ever heard. lol. Excess wear and tear, damage, etc. PLUS it does not sound like responsible driving... sounds like reckless driving to me unless you have a personal track or farm that you can drive on like that and not put anyone else in danger.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:30 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,967,570 times
I think the OP misspoke on a few issues, but is ultimately getting at a bigger point. Here's what he missed and what he is right about.

- Flooring your car on a regular basis is definitely not good for it. Especially if it is not a performance car and is not made to be pushed to those limits often or, "on a regular basis". Most notable, flooring a car is pretty hard on the transmission, the tires, the gears, and the engine itself if it is at all low on any fluids. If you drive a GT 500, I'm sure it could handle being floored quite often.

- Now, what the OP is right about is it is not harmful to floor your car from time to time. It is true that flooring your car will help reduce some carbon build up. Even typical family sedans or 4 bangers are made to be pushed to their limits, and doing so every once in awhile will not do any actual damage to the car.

Old 12-21-2013, 09:28 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
I think the OP misspoke on a few issues, but is ultimately getting at a bigger point. Here's what he missed and what he is right about.

- Flooring your car on a regular basis is definitely not good for it. Especially if it is not a performance car and is not made to be pushed to those limits often or, "on a regular basis". Most notable, flooring a car is pretty hard on the transmission, the tires, the gears, and the engine itself if it is at all low on any fluids. If you drive a GT 500, I'm sure it could handle being floored quite often.

- Now, what the OP is right about is it is not harmful to floor your car from time to time. It is true that flooring your car will help reduce some carbon build up. Even typical family sedans or 4 bangers are made to be pushed to their limits, and doing so every once in awhile will not do any actual damage to the car.
Good summary. That is exactly how I would have put it.

Even with a few of the cars I've owned ('66 Dart GT V-8 and '66 Plymouth Fury V-8, '69 Cadillac Fleetwood mainly), I did use full-throttle quite a bit. But certainly not all the time! Or I would use about 85% throttle to enjoy the power without taking it to maximum strain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive