Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 12:27 PM

22 posts, read 199,854 times

Advertisements

So here it is.... I have a 1995 Chevy S-10 that the turn signals dont work on ...AT ALL! I have replaced every bulb on the truck except the ones I cant get to (in the instrument cluster) AND the thermal flasher unit, and they still dont work! The passenger side indicator light (in the instrument cluster) is the only light that I cant get to come on - but I cant prove that that means it is out... I have looked all over the web and cant find a single link to help me diagnose this thing. Is there anyone out there that has any experience with this issue or knows someone that has had an experience like this that can help me out? PLEASE????? Thanks in advance for anyone with anyhelp :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 12:49 PM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,225,768 times
have you checked the fuse?

Old 12-17-2013, 12:50 PM

2,136 posts, read 2,311,364 times
Based on your description I would suspect the switch to be the culprit. Do you know how to use a DVOM or 12volt test light? If so, check for voltage at the switch connector, if good check at a light socket. If voltage is present check to be sure the ground circuit is in tact. The ground side of the equation is often overlooked and is just as often the culprit as lack of voltage.

Old 12-17-2013, 02:36 PM

@ C8N - yes, and I replaced it just so I could be positive.
@ AK76 - yes I do - checked voltage at the flasher - its good. Didnt think to try the connector - but I will probably have to pull the steering wheel just to get to it....wont I? I dont have tilt or cruise so its a tight fit...but thats great advise! Will check it out now :-) Thanx

Old 12-17-2013, 04:17 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,509,477 times
Do your hazard lights work?

Old 12-18-2013, 07:27 AM

@ Electrician4you...No, they do not! And - when I went out to check the voltage at the connection - as advised - I took apart the steering column cover and noticed the hazard pop-up (the red post) has been superglued to stay where it is...That HAS to be it - yes?

Old 12-18-2013, 07:30 AM

@ AK76 - I could not get to the connection to test the voltage - not enough room. So apparently I am going to have to disassemble the steering column anyway - to get the turn signal lever assembly off - but Iam going to wait until I see what Electrician4you has to say...I appreciate everyone's help so far! Thanks a ton :-)

Old 12-18-2013, 09:04 AM

I posted my suggestions in the opposite manner in which you should perform the checks. Check ground and voltage at a light socket first, if no voltage then go to the switch and check. The harness for the switch runs along the bottom of the steering column in a black plastic sheath that is flat and about 2" wide perhaps( been several years since I was into the column of an older GM) at the base of that sheath will be the connector-about 2 1/2" wide and flat it will have a red, yellow, light green, dark green and black wires in it, maybe one or two more. It should be "relatively" easy to test at that connector.

As someone asked earlier, did you check the fuses, ALL of the fuses? One shorted light bulb, or scoket can/will blow the fuse for the entire signal circuit.

Old 12-18-2013, 11:13 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,509,477 times
There was a recall on some of the hazard light buttons on GM vehicles. I had to replace it on a 1995 gmc. Make sure you disconnect the battery otherwise when you pull the switch out the horn goes off and won't stop

Old 12-18-2013, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
There was a recall on some of the hazard light buttons on GM vehicles. I had to replace it on a 1995 gmc. Make sure you disconnect the battery otherwise when you pull the switch out the horn goes off and won't stop
Only if you let the wire ground against the column after the horn parts ars disassembled, just keep the wire under control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive