Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 11:02 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,831,699 times

Advertisements

Meh.. they are all front heavy and have to work against the laws of physics (acceleration transfers weight off the drive wheels).

Not to mention the traction circle. A tire only has so much traction, so it's kinda dumb to have the drive wheels also turn the car.

Then there's the total inability to invoke power on oversteer in tight corners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 05:51 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
That's great for racing. The other 97% of the time it's driving around it's just a rattly, harsh, loud, uncomfortable tin can.
Unfortunately, you can say the same thing about muscle cars that were gutted for drag racing and driven on the street. Saw those all over the place in the '70s. Jacked up, with slapper bars on them, bolt on Harwood hood scoops, poorly tuned tunnel rams or overcarbed crap.

It's just young guys doing what they've always done.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:53 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
Actually quite a few FWD cars can handle just fine in the curves and that is where many of these lightweight Honda's excel. They just need enough thrust to accelerate though some tight curves and a solid suspension to back it up.
They can, but as has been discussed many times here, most of these stanced ricers can barely operate as a daily driver. I've seen many that are so tightly sprung that they're almost literally hopping over small changes in road height.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:55 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
Meh.. they are all front heavy and have to work against the laws of physics (acceleration transfers weight off the drive wheels).

Not to mention the traction circle. A tire only has so much traction, so it's kinda dumb to have the drive wheels also turn the car.

Then there's the total inability to invoke power on oversteer in tight corners.
You obviously have never been to a road race track or an autocross course, where small FWD sport coupes and hatchbacks have been successful since the early '80s.

Getting kind of tired of supposed automotive enthusiasts who really have no clue about what cars are good at what, and think only musclecars can be fast.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:24 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I loved stop light dragging these fart canned ricers with my old Buick Roadmaster Wagon. The ass end of the great old barge usually cleared the far side of the intersection before they even started to move.

"You've been smoked by Santa Clause."

Old 12-18-2013, 06:53 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Who cares? I certainly don't begrudge someone enjoying their choice of cars. More power to them.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:17 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,966,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
So... how many stickers are on your Civic, and how much horsepower do they add?

Hey, I'm the one who thinks my stock 04 Si(that my wife drives) is fairly boring....well, compared to my WRX that is. But Ive got a myriad of stickers waiting to go on, then I'm hitting the dyno.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:21 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,966,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
Actually quite a few FWD cars can handle just fine in the curves and that is where many of these lightweight Honda's excel. They just need enough thrust to accelerate though some tight curves and a solid suspension to back it up.
very true. there's a reason why the Integra Type R is so revered in the automotive world. And i give my Si crap for being boring, but if I'm honest, with a proper set of summer or grippy all seasons, it would be a hoot. When i bought it, it had Michelin Primacy's on it, and they are horrible for handling, but I'm not changing them til they are wore out. Plus, my wife doesnt do any spirited driving with it.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:21 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times
Honestly, why can't someone who owns a modest car not still be an enthusias too, who likes and enjoys his car?

Must there be a class system that says you must own car X or "better" to modify it, do things to change it's looks, or drive it a little more aggresasively for the fun of it?

Civics are not the car for me either, but there are some really passionate people who own them, modify them, and do some amazing things with them!

I do not have to like the the Civic, but I see no reason to not have any respect for an enthusiast just because they own one either. To each their own.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:31 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
I've owned my 94 Civic Si since 1995... and with 407K on the odometer now. I also had a '92 DX hatch as a city beater car. Before that, I had a couple of Honda CVCC's from the '70's. I find these cars to be quick and nimble on the roads. I also like their excellent greenhouse (window visibility). They are also super reliable and cheap/easy to fix.

Anyway, I keep my cars fairly stock. The only mod they've had is swapping in a JDM transmission with a viscous LSD. No, my car isn't fast, but it's a really fun car to drive in the city and at autocross. And it's an awesome road trip car too.

Being the fastest car on the road isn't everything. And going fast in a straight line is really booring!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive