U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 02:54 PM

474 posts, read 1,820,022 times

Advertisements

Dear Friends:

I've got a 2002 Ford Focus with about 41K miles on it. However, it was a rebuilt wreck from Florida. For the purchase price, the car was a bargain - - but now I am starting to wonder if it was rebuilt with old parts?

When starting cold, the car growls in any gear - - even neutral. However, after it is parked (hot) for awhile... then running again, it is quiet. Got any ideas on this one?

And what are the typical smyptoms of failed CV joints?

I would graciously appreciate any suggestions.

THANK YOU !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2007, 03:04 PM

61 posts, read 182,534 times
I had a Honda Civic with bad CV joints a long time ago (~20 yrs). With that car, the symptom was a loud clicking sound during slow-speed sharp turns (parking, etc.).

Old 11-26-2007, 03:46 PM

36,348 posts, read 57,054,102 times
CV joint failure is almost always a result of a torn CV boot which allows the lubricant to leak out. That would be the first thing to check. If the boot is torn, it's probably time to replace the joint. In fact, it's often cheaper to simply replace the entire axle.

Old 11-26-2007, 04:17 PM

11,970 posts, read 10,584,696 times
Doesn't sound like a bad CV joint to me.

Old 11-26-2007, 04:22 PM

36,348 posts, read 57,054,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
Doesn't sound like a bad CV joint to me.
I think he's saying that the CV problem (if it is a problem) is in addition to the other symptoms he was describing.

Old 11-26-2007, 05:01 PM
miu

13,011 posts, read 22,156,229 times
What kind of transmission does your Focus have? Maybe the tranny fluid is low or dirty. A flush and refill may be in order. Or the syncros inside the tranny are worn. With Hondas and Acuras with synchro wear, we toss in a bottle of GM Synchromesh then the balance oem Honda MTF.

Also, when you say "a cold start" what outside temperatures are we talking about? The car just having sat overnight or cold as in the outside temps being in the 30's? What state do you live in?

Old 11-26-2007, 08:21 PM

1,476 posts, read 3,801,678 times
Loud even in N? Is it a manual? Mabye the throwout bearing or pilot bearing.

Old 11-27-2007, 02:00 PM

474 posts, read 1,820,022 times
Default Thank You For All Of Your Responses And....

... Let's see if I can do some clarification. Our Ford Focus 2002 has a Zetec four cycinder engine that includes an automatic transmission with the over drive gear.

Since I am not too familiar with car mechnical situations and problems, I can't go further about the transmission.

We live near Chicago and during the summer months there is no growling. However, in temps. around 30 degrees - - and after sitting for over night - - then the car growls even after it has warmed up. However, after it sits in an outdoor shopping mall, etc. for about one half hour during our mall visit, then the car is quiet like it used to be.

A friend once told me that with his failed CV joints, the car actually locked up and wouldn't drive. So I am a little hyped up about what he said - - and every time something fails, then I first think about the CV joints.

Other things that I have thought about also include perhaps a bad water pump(?). But the anti-freeze temp. still seems normal.

The car has about 41K miles on it, but it was a rebuilt car from Florida and maybe all the rebuilt parts were already worn out(?).

Carter Glass

Old 11-27-2007, 04:00 PM
miu

13,011 posts, read 22,156,229 times
It takes a while for a transmission to warm up in the cold weather. The only way it warms up is through the radiant heat of the engine. The temperature gauge on your dash has nothing to do with your transmission fluid temperature. There is no anti freeze/coolant lines running through your transmission.

Old 10-04-2010, 06:21 PM

1 posts, read 31,426 times
If you have agrowling in cold weather , check the rack and pinion steering gear
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive