Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 06:38 PM

8,080 posts, read 6,682,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtodd View Post
4 year / 50k miles free maintenance...that can be extended 2 years up to 100k miles for an extra cost.
Thanks! That is why I want to go to BMW....also I think that BMW is more performance oriented.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 07:59 PM

11,138 posts, read 15,908,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Most late model luxury cars are being traded in on NEW luxury cars, as there is no status symbol in driving around last year's luxury. Sucks for the vain, but it's great for the rest of us that love getting bargains on luxury items.
This is unintentionally hilarious.

So, if someone buys and drives a new luxury automobile, they are vain and simply want to be seen in a status symbol. However, if you buy and drive a used luxury vehicle, you are a bargain hunter getting a great car at a cheap price.

LOL

Old 12-26-2013, 08:15 PM

2,631 posts, read 6,986,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
These are all good questions. I am in my 50s now, still young enough to want to take road trips but old enough that I really value the most smooth comfortable and quiet ride I can afford. Also, no more 4 cyl. for me. I want a bit more power, at least a 6 cyl. and AWD because I want a car I am confident will handle itself well in poor weather conditions. Reliability is a big plus. I hate breakdowns!
I like the German cars but some posters here are scaring me away from those based on what seems to be a temperamental nature of those cars. Plus I just don't want to spend a huge amount on maintenance. I don't care all that much about presenting an image to anyone that I am driving luxury and don't care all that much about exterior styling, it's more about what is inside and what makes me feel like I am riding in comfort and insulates me from the outside noise and conditions.
So basically you want a 6 cyclinder.
Awd
A car that is reliable.
You don't want to spend big money on maintenance
You don't care about presenting an image to anyone that your driving luxury.
You care about whats inside and riding comfort

Your looking at a used 2010-2012 Acura tl sh-awd. Make sure its the SH-AWD model. (Super Handling All Wheel drive). That particular model sports a 307 hp 3.7 L v6. There more expensive to maintain then their Honda counterparts but not nearly as expensive to maintain as a German car.

Prices are fro 25,000-33,000 depending on mileage year condition etc.

Old 12-26-2013, 08:40 PM

3,025 posts, read 4,972,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtexan99 View Post
Yes, but a lesser car does not require Z rated hi performance tires which cost $300 each.

Price an alternator on any autoparts site for a Mercdes S class and then price an alternator for the other car. You will see the difference.
$180 for the S500 vs $140 for a Camry. $40 isn't that big of a difference...

From what I have seen, yes, it is more expensive, but if you're willing to go used/reman and an independent mechanic, the difference isn't as big as people say.

Old 12-26-2013, 08:43 PM

2,335 posts, read 4,123,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
Your looking at a used 2010-2012 Acura tl sh-awd. Make sure its the SH-AWD model. (Super Handling All Wheel drive). That particular model sports a 307 hp 3.7 L v6. There more expensive to maintain then their Honda counterparts but not nearly as expensive to maintain as a German car.
Yeah, I was going to say either a SH-AWD TL or a G35/37x. I purchased a new G35x back in 2004 and kept it for almost 8 years. It was a good car, not bulletproof but reliable enough. The dealer was a bit of a ripoff too but I guess that comes with the near-lux territory.

They hold their value well too, I got a pretty good price when it was time to trade. My car was spotless, though.

Old 12-26-2013, 11:13 PM

11,337 posts, read 10,971,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
This statement couldn't be more false.

Go look up the costs of an oil change on a Ferrari or Maserati, or price tires for a high performance car that are only made by a handful of brands.
And this statement couldn't be more true. Out-of-warranty repairs on your typical BMW or Mercedes will destroy your supply of dollars in multi-thousand unit chunks. I wouldn't touch one of these cars used, unless they were ultra-low mileage with plenty of remaining warranty life.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant View Post
Yeah, I was going to say either a SH-AWD TL or a G35/37x. I purchased a new G35x back in 2004 and kept it for almost 8 years. It was a good car, not bulletproof but reliable enough. The dealer was a bit of a ripoff too but I guess that comes with the near-lux territory.

They hold their value well too, I got a pretty good price when it was time to trade. My car was spotless, though.
The tls for some reason are a little cheaper then the g35s for some reason which is what the OP was looking for. My personal theory that it has something to do with the engines. The engines in the tl are SOHC while the engines in the g35s are DOHC. DOHC engines produce more power but their not as reliable as sohc and cost more on labor.

As far as other labor I think they may be pretty much even but the nudge goes to the Tl for being slightly cheaper even though a g35 is slightly faster.

Aside from the Awd system which actually some accord variant models due have there is really very little difference between a tl and accord aside from a bigger engine, better suspension and more electronic features. The suspension for the tl is fully independent which is what the OP was looking for. It provides a smoother and more comfortable ride over its Honda counterparts.

SH-AWD will be slightly less fuel efficient then its fwd counterpart but thats in all awd systems. AWD cars are heavier which is why acura had to outfit it with a 3.7L instead of a 3.5L.

But I think the OP will be extremely happy with a 2010-2012 TL.SH-AWD.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:52 AM

914 posts, read 938,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
By definition I am using premium as cars that are cut above your basic sedan but not in the true luxury category.
In the $40- $45000 which range which I can put up soon ,I could buy a brand new Buick or Chrysler 300 or a entry level Lexus ES class or Mercedes C class.
But there are 3 to 4 year old used Lexus LS class and Mercedes S class sedans and Cadillac CTS-Vs that are $70-$90000 when new that selling for $40,000 with 30000-50000 miles or so from 2008 to 2010 model years.

If you had the cash, would you by the brand new Buick/Chrysler/Lexus ES/Mercedes C class or would you by the super luxury used 3 to 5 year old Lexus LS/Mercedes S Class/Cadillac with 30000-50000 miles?
No matter HOW much cash I had, I would NEVER spend $40,000 on an automobile. I find such a high price for a car OFFENSIVE.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalisiin View Post
No matter HOW much cash I had, I would NEVER spend $40,000 on an automobile. I find such a high price for a car OFFENSIVE.
When you die you can't take the money with you.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:23 AM

11,337 posts, read 10,971,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalisiin View Post
$40,000 is no longer a "high price" for a car. It is pretty much average. I would spend up to about $80,000. Beyond that, cars over $100,000 offer amenities and capabilities that I don't need. However, no price is "offensive". I don't think of money that way. It is simply a tool and something to trade for something else that I might want. That some people have lots of it does not "offend" me, it actually inspires me to do better!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive