Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 02:07 PM

4,327 posts, read 7,235,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
here is one to consider, the explorer sport trac. basically an explorer with a small bed instead of a cargo area. decent fuel economy for the class of vehicle, and reliable as well.
You'll need to be looking used. The SportTrac was discontinued in 2010.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post
I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think 4 doors is an option on the 4-cylinder Taco. You would have to go with the V6.
4 doors (Double Cab) with 4-cylinder is an option, in both Base and PreRunner. Not sure about the 4X4, I think it's V6 only in the Double Cab.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 02:16 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,222,868 times
The best all around truck you can go with IMO, and many will agree, is simply an F150. It is a no brainer. From beginner to seasoned truck owners, it is simply the go-to pickup truck choice. All the "import" guys just end up splitting hairs when trying to portray the F150 as the lesser choice; They will regale you with anecdotes of extreme reliability and fabricate more impressive (marginally) mpg figures. In the end, they literally have less of a truck likely for more dollar. Bottom line is you live in the US where there are millions upon millions of these things driving around. The database for issues of any model/configuration is statistically more immense than any other truck out there, so do your research.. If you do have a problem, parts and repairs are CHEAP. No sense in buying one new either, find a used one for peanuts.

BTW, this is coming from a Ram owner. I like diesels, but if I had a gasser for reasons you mention, it would be an F150.

Old 12-23-2013, 02:16 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,851,427 times
I was looking at a dakota in 2005 and while researching I realized a 4.7 QC RAM didn't get much worse MPG's then a V6 Dakota so to me it was a no brainer as I prefer full sized trucks. I bought a RAM 1500 and have since traded it in for another but with 4 wheel drive in 2007. Now they have some powerful V6's on all the full sized models that get pretty decent gas mileage. Those V6's might not be the best choice for pulling a heavy trailer but for the kind of things you mentioned they'd be fine. For the MPG's you state, a new small V8 should pull close to those numbers now. My 04 4.7 did. Real world all around for me on that truck was about 17 I would hit 20 on a long highway stretch. My 07 4wheel drive got a tad more then 10% less.

I think with the power and economy increasing of the the V6's in the full sized trucks there really isn't much of a reason to buy a smaller truck unless by chance you live in a congested city. But even then a full sized QC/crew cab short bed isn't hard to maneuver.

Another opinion of mine is there isn't really that much difference between the Ford, Chevy and Dodge or Toyota (the full sized). I'm mentioning that because there is a lot of brand loyalty on those models and it seems if one person likes one all the others are garbage. Even their adds point out one small specific thing that gives their brand a better number (such as 2 more horsepower on a V6 or something stupid like that) and they play on that as if the total truck outperforms all others. The way I look at it is they aren't paying me, I'm paying them. So unless those company's pay me I'm going for whatever is cheaper, at the time I bought mine the RAM's had better rebates. That all seems to change though. I like them all pretty equal.

Old 12-23-2013, 02:24 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,222,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post
Their prices hold high...
For reasons intangible, this is true. Although I am curious as to how long it takes the average sucker to come along and purchase at these over inflated prices. I am willing to wager that tacos stay on the market significantly longer and require more price adjustments than their more sensibly priced alternatives.

Old 12-23-2013, 02:30 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,369,351 times
If you don't really need a truck, won't be taking it off road (off pavement is not off road), want good gas mileage and mainly want the bed to carry dirty stuff maybe you should look at the Subaru Baja.

21 city, 28 hwy mileage beats any truck.

Old 12-23-2013, 02:33 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
You probably need a Hennessy Raptor. If you are single it is a guy magnet.

Old 12-23-2013, 02:49 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,894,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb19 View Post
The "mid size" trucks are now the same size as "full size" trucks of 10 years ago.

Nelson laugh. You haven't been around many trucks, right? A Colorado is nowhere near the size of my 93 full sized Chevy and that profile is smaller than my brother's old 2002 he has on his farm.

Old 12-23-2013, 02:57 PM

533 posts, read 1,112,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb19 View Post
There will be a diesel Colorado in a few years..Since you said you're still a couple years away, that might be something to research for you.

The "mid size" trucks are now the same size as "full size" trucks of 10 years ago.
I used to drive my grandpas diesel (Silverado) whenever I'd visit him. Are there any perks of having diesel over gasoline?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
Another opinion of mine is there isn't really that much difference between the Ford, Chevy and Dodge or Toyota (the full sized). I'm mentioning that because there is a lot of brand loyalty on those models and it seems if one person likes one all the others are garbage. Even their adds point out one small specific thing that gives their brand a better number (such as 2 more horsepower on a V6 or something stupid like that) and they play on that as if the total truck outperforms all others. The way I look at it is they aren't paying me, I'm paying them. So unless those company's pay me I'm going for whatever is cheaper, at the time I bought mine the RAM's had better rebates. That all seems to change though. I like them all pretty equal.
Thanks, yeah, I know there's a lot of brand loyalty when it comes to trucks, definitely want to avoid that in this thread because I'm simply trying to learn more about which one fits what i need best. Any idea on which ones cost less for maintenance?

Old 12-23-2013, 02:58 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,894,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
The best all around truck you can go with IMO, and many will agree, is simply an F150. It is a no brainer. From beginner to seasoned truck owners, it is simply the go-to pickup truck choice. All the "import" guys just end up splitting hairs when trying to portray the F150 as the lesser choice; They will regale you with anecdotes of extreme reliability and fabricate more impressive (marginally) mpg figures. In the end, they literally have less of a truck likely for more dollar. Bottom line is you live in the US where there are millions upon millions of these things driving around. The database for issues of any model/configuration is statistically more immense than any other truck out there, so do your research.. If you do have a problem, parts and repairs are CHEAP. No sense in buying one new either, find a used one for peanuts.

BTW, this is coming from a Ram owner. I like diesels, but if I had a gasser for reasons you mention, it would be an F150.
I am in the Chevy camp. A crew cab w/5.3 is great. I love my brother's and fuel mileage is what it is for a full sized truck. I have a regular cab w/v6 and 8' bed versus his 6'. Used ones are readily available and parts are way cheaper than any foreign model. The beauty of Chevy is most small block engine parts are interchangeable for the past 40 years.

Old 12-23-2013, 02:59 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,321,061 times
I getting the impression that you are female. The Tacoma, Nissan, Toyota are considered the pink trucks where I live. They are good vehicles and dependable.

If you need a truck to do some work I would go with the GMC/Ford/Dodge 3/4 or 1 tons. Yes the mileage is pretty bad but what are you going to do about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive