Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mazda
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 11:58 PM

4,709 posts, read 5,053,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
The only effort you put into a rotory is taking out and throwing in the nearest scrap bin
I have never thrown one into the scrap heap. Read post 24 again and understand it. Look at the Wankel's strengths, what is being R&D's and its ideal application. Then all will fall into place. Somehow I don't think you can objectively analyse.

Last edited by John-UK; 11-15-2014 at 01:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 07:36 PM

6,728 posts, read 4,403,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litefoot View Post
Wankel Engine.......
The reason the beautiful Mazda RX-8 bit the dust. You cannot find anyone to work on them. The RX-8 was great but with the wrinkle engine not so much.
I have always said, The Rx series were great looking sports cars, If they just didnt come with a @$#^%$ rotary engine. If they could of come with a decent 4 or 6 cylinder, they couldnt of made them fast enough. They would of sold 2 or 3 times as many each year.

Old 11-16-2014, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
I have always said, The Rx series were great looking sports cars, If they just didnt come with a @$#^%$ rotary engine. If they could of come with a decent 4 or 6 cylinder, they couldnt of made them fast enough. They would of sold 2 or 3 times as many each year.
Your knowledge on rotaries is near zero. The RX 8 was in a class sector with Porches. It performed the same as the Porsche and had about the same mpg. But it was vastly cheaper to buy. It was also a superb car to ride. The reason the rotary was put in this class sector was for the reason in my post. The apex seals lifted on low revs and low load. Sports cars by nature are at high revs and load a lot of the time. The Renesis engine was superior to the Porsche engine.

But directly driving the wheels of vehicles with rotaries is not its most efficient application. That is in range-extender applications where it surpasses piston engines on just about every point. So, carping on about a direct a drive engine that is no longer is made is pointless. It is what they do in the near future is what matters.

"This cars is sensational."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5FNjyaLfC8

Last edited by John-UK; 11-16-2014 at 05:24 AM..

Old 11-16-2014, 05:20 AM

4,857 posts, read 5,808,624 times
I could care less about any hybrid, and hope to be gone from this earh before the piston engines "demise," just let me know when the Miata gets a rotary powerplant.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
I could care less about any hybrid, and hope to be gone from this earh before the piston engines "demise," just let me know when the Miata gets a rotary powerplant.
Sadly you have little clue and full of prejudices. Sit and learn. Expand your mind.

Old 11-17-2014, 11:20 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,125,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
The rotary is a great design with very compact dimensions, low weight, fewer parts and good efficiency but only truly effective under certain loads and rpm, so this may be an ideal application. Issues with tip wear, emissions, and economy may be better managed in this application allowing for a relatively small reliable range extender.
Exactly, if a Wankel can be run in a stable RPM range that it likes then it can be very efficient and reliable. Running constantly between 1000 and 9000 RPM is terrible for a Wankel.

Old 11-17-2014, 11:34 AM

114 posts, read 358,679 times
Some great info in this thread. As the owner of an RX-8, I'll be happy to see the rotary put to another use for which it is very well suited.

Old 11-17-2014, 04:07 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,547,526 times
Mazda just squashed rumors of another wankel.

All their eggs are in the skyactive basket.

Old 11-17-2014, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
Mazda just squashed rumors of another wankel.

All their eggs are in the skyactive basket.
They never. They have dropped the RX sports cars. The Wankel is scheduled to be in a series-hybrid of which it is better suited.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:37 PM

4,857 posts, read 5,808,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
Sadly you have little clue and full of prejudices. Sit and learn. Expand your mind.
I do have a clue, when the honda insight first came out, I- as a child drew up a car with an engine powered generator that ran wheel motors- as a child. I might be "full of prejudices," but my mind isn't narrow, I'm not saying the idea is anything negative. I know what I like, and I just don't like hybrids, unless it's a m35 with the hurculean motor. I'd rather see the return of steam cars, and I've been designing one of those, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mazda