Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 08:49 PM

227 posts, read 745,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
If the car was working fine before you took it to Midas, then the problem is not any specific part (thermostat, and so on), but whoever the Midas mechanics did to it. Yes, it may end-up being a thermostat and the like, but when Midas handed the car back to you it was supposed to be in the condition it was when you handed it to them.

It could be the thermostat, or an airlock, or low antifreeze, and so forth. reading what you have written on your last post, it sounds like there was an airlock (air somewhere). Check the antifreeze level in both the radiator, and the recovery container when the motor is cool.

Yes, that's what the mechanic said yesterday ( when I took my car in) I had air in the hose, causing the car to send a signal saying its overheating, also causing the gauge to increase to the red mark. ( or something). My car worked perfectly before my flush. I'm taking my car back to midas tomorrow, or I just might go to a chevy dealership.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 09:42 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
A air bubble will cause those symptom. Some cars have a specific way to bleed the cooling system.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:38 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,919,856 times
Here's the big issue, you have an iron block but aluminum heads. If the engine overheated at all, the head gaskets are toast. Once these gaskets let go, you'll be either replacing the car or the engine. You need an attorney and Midas needs to give you a full coverage warranty on the engine. Failure of either means you better start saving your dollars cause a new car is in your future.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:22 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,837,015 times
When you change the coolant some air will be trapped inside the system and needs to be purged before the car will cool properly. Some cars have a bleeder at the highest point in the system and you open it while adding coolant and you leave it open until no more bubbles come out. Hondas, for one, are that way, and even a very small amount of air will make them overheat in a very short period of time.

I suspect that they didn't bleed your system correctly but it has now worked it out by itself. Sometimes a car will pump that air out on it's own over time, through the normal venting process via the recovery tank.

Midas may be ok for replacing mufflers, but I wouldn't trust them to do anything more on a car.

Don

Old 01-02-2014, 09:13 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,760,165 times
I beleive the law in Michigan says they have to give you the old parts they replaced. They probably won't now, but if it is still a law it's a good one.

Have documentation every time you went there with the problem written up on a repair order; don't keep going back without that. Keep them responsible. If you go somewhere else then that lets them off the hook.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:01 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,550,016 times
Some cars require the heater to be on to properly burp out the air pockets. also some rev'ing to 3k while the bleeder is open

Old 01-02-2014, 12:16 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,577,136 times
Also, I believe on some vehicles you actually have to jack up the front end to get the air bled out properly.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:30 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,078,481 times
As some other people have noted, a number of engines have very specific procedures that must be followed when draining and refilling the coolant. Some even have a big warning label under the hood to alert you that improper refill of the cooling system may result in motor damage.

Also, flushing the cooling system (especially if it has not been done for a long time previously) can break loose crud that can gum up thermostats, and block radiators/heater cores. My wife has a Jeep that she bought used, no clue if anyone ever flushed the cooling system before- I flushed it...and ended up replacing the radiator because it got plugged with so much crap.

If you drove it with the temp red-lined, and the motor is now smoking, there could be some serious damage. Have it checked out...somewhere else. I would never [again] go to either of the two big "M" places, for anything, not even a muffler.

Old 01-02-2014, 04:08 PM

427 posts, read 947,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
Stupid advice? The OP said the engine is smoking.

It's Midas. They ruined the engine - something they're accustomed to doing. They'll fight it legally.
You don't know that they ruined the engine. Don't jump to conclusions.

Old 01-02-2014, 05:06 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,042,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyDavis View Post
You don't know that they ruined the engine. Don't jump to conclusions.
You hopped on this thread only to say that?

Any advice for the OP? Any diagnosis regarding what's likely going on - or problems he/she may be facing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive