Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 02:46 AM

89 posts, read 409,642 times

Advertisements

I bought my '97 Riviera a couple weeks ago or so. The car did have a leaking radiator (and I still haven't replaced it) and when I checked the spare tank which was empty, I added green coolant (for all makes and models, it says). I just noticed the sticker saying it requires dex-cool and I'm worried that I will cause any damage to the engine if there was some red coolant beforehand. I know the previous owner used water because it was leaking some water when I went to pick up the car. I am not sure if he had flushed the system to only use green, was mixing green with water or what but I know that I added green coolant. Radiator itself is currently full of green. Car seems to run fine for the past week and does not overheat. How worried should I be? And once I do replace the radiator, is it safe to use green or should I stick with dex-cool (I read it's recommended but not necessary as long as I don't mix the two).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 05:28 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,995,776 times
Was the "green" dex-cool compatable if the bottle said it worked with all makes and models?

Double check the bottle of the stuff you used. If yes, your ok. If no, better get a flush.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:15 AM

131 posts, read 224,230 times
OP,
You're good to go. Internet rumors about mixed coolants "sludging up" are just that, internet rumors.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:26 AM

24,385 posts, read 23,044,056 times
I used the " mix with any coolant" with my dex cool only antifreeze car. Honestly, it did no harm and may actually have delayed a costly intake manifold gasket repair. That finally happened when the car was about 10 years old and it should have happened years sooner according to GM information and consumer complaints. The cars now 15 years old and the original radiator is fine. The cooling system is fine. I did have it flushed out and I've used dex cool since, but I'd not hesitate to use the green coolant if it was handy.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:40 AM

2,341 posts, read 12,036,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nas-gr View Post
I bought my '97 Riviera a couple weeks ago or so. The car did have a leaking radiator (and I still haven't replaced it) and when I checked the spare tank which was empty, I added green coolant (for all makes and models, it says). I just noticed the sticker saying it requires dex-cool and I'm worried that I will cause any damage to the engine if there was some red coolant beforehand. I know the previous owner used water because it was leaking some water when I went to pick up the car. I am not sure if he had flushed the system to only use green, was mixing green with water or what but I know that I added green coolant. Radiator itself is currently full of green. Car seems to run fine for the past week and does not overheat. How worried should I be? And once I do replace the radiator, is it safe to use green or should I stick with dex-cool (I read it's recommended but not necessary as long as I don't mix the two).
If you are concerned, flush the system and replace it with the proper coolant. Your own peace of mind is worth the price.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:43 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,995,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuenoOffenhauser View Post
OP,
You're good to go. Internet rumors about mixed coolants "sludging up" are just that, internet rumors.
Internet rumors are one thing. I have seen dex-cool turned to "pudding" first hand.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:58 AM

89 posts, read 409,642 times
Thanks guys- I thought I messed up big time. I will flush everything once I get my new radiator put in and start using dex-cool, or do you recommend sticking with green?
I don't know if what I put it was compatible, and I threw away the bottle. But it did say for all makes&models so has to be..

Old 01-02-2014, 12:49 PM

6,032 posts, read 9,206,866 times
Flush should be part of installing the new radiator anyways!

Old 01-02-2014, 01:10 PM

1,030 posts, read 4,274,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Internet rumors are one thing. I have seen dex-cool turned to "pudding" first hand.
Seen horror stories with that crap...

Old 01-02-2014, 02:42 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,214,787 times
You DO NOT want to mix dex-cool with conventional "green" coolant. Once you get your new radiator completely flush out the system with water until it comes out crystal clear. Once mostly full of clear water add about 16 ounces of CLR and run engine to full temp for 15 or so minutes. Shut off engine, let it cool for a while and flush with water again. Once its all flushed out, drain the appropriate amount and refill with pure conventional "green" coolant until you are at approx 50/50.

I highly recommend converting out of dexcool. Just make sure its ALL out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive