Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your thoughts on gas prices?
The Lower the Better 143 65.60%
Its fine where it is today 15 6.88%
The Higher the Better 50 22.94%
not sure/other 10 4.59%
Voters: 218. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 11:39 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,461,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
New alternative fuels will probably not be any cheaper than what we're paying per gallon now. When you have an economy that's generally driven by greed, by OPEC and the oil companies, we're never going to see fuel prices around $1.00 a gallon.
I disagree

I think all electric cars would be MUCH cheaper. I have heard some esimates of .25 cents per 100-200 miles of charge.

makes me salivate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 12:01 PM

3,533 posts, read 12,304,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Huh?????

Why would we want higher gas prices? I'm not sure I understand this thread.

I agree 100% . huh !!!!!!! who in the hell wants to pay more for gas.
i can't beleave there are any votes to pay higher gas prices. what are those people smoking any how.

Old 04-27-2008, 02:05 PM

793 posts, read 2,213,697 times
the gas in the US is so low compare to Europeans prices. How would you feel if you had to pay between 5 to 7$ a gallon? Many people do already.

Old 04-27-2008, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djf863000 View Post
the gas in the US is so low compare to Europeans prices. How would you feel if you had to pay between 5 to 7$ a gallon? Many people do already.

They said on fox news that in germeny , gas is between 8 and 9 dollars a gallon. so i'd have to say that were not doing to bad.

Old 04-27-2008, 05:06 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,657,736 times
Why should we be comparing our prices with other countries and why are we sending the oil that is coming out of the ground in our country to another country to be refined and then we have to buy it back. And as far as the ethanol refining goes, why are we using corn, we can get more ethanol out of switch grass then we can out of corn and you can only grow corn in the same field for only two years before you have to rotate it, with switch grass you don't have to do that, it continues to grow and you can cut it two or three times a year and you will get at least twice as much ethanol have a bushel of switch grass then you will from corn, not only that the processes is the same. Kind of makes you wonder doesn't it.

Old 04-27-2008, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFRRACING View Post
I agree 100% . huh !!!!!!! who in the hell wants to pay more for gas.
i can't beleave there are any votes to pay higher gas prices. what are those people smoking any how.
because, if gas was higher, people would buy more fuel efficient cars, use public transit more, and better cars would be coming.

Old 04-27-2008, 05:24 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,657,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
because, if gas was higher, people would buy more fuel efficient cars, use public transit more, and better cars would be coming.
you know I don't agree with higher priced gasoline, but your analogy makes sense, if the price of gasoline was like it was back in the 70s then the research and development for more fuel efficient vehicles probably would not continue and as far as trying to come up with alternative fuels that particular science would probably ceased also, so in hindsight, what you say makes sense. However I still don't agree with higher price for gasoline...

Old 04-28-2008, 06:39 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,166,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFRRACING View Post
They said on fox news that in germeny , gas is between 8 and 9 dollars a gallon. so i'd have to say that were not doing to bad.
Ya, but that's because they tax the crap out of it. If the federal government added 4 more dollars to the price of gas, there would probably be a revolt in this country. Also, Europe has had a long history with outrageous taxes on motor fuel, we haven't. A good chunk of our lifestyle is based on inexpensive fuel. Things in Europe are really crammed together, where here there is room to spread out and people have done so. If they taxed us like Europe, you would have to be rich to afford a cross country vacation. The financial burden would be massive and probably put us into a depression. How I wish I could return to the days of 50 cent a gallon gas. I didn't know how good I had it back then.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:48 AM

The dangers of ethanol - Apr. 28, 2008

one thing to consider, by not taxing gas and discouraging use, we are in effect taxing food.

something to think about.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post

look at it this way, if gas was higher the people that drive cheap cars now might not be able to afford to drive at all. so making the price higher would probably only hurt the lower income people. the rich would still be driving their gas gussling suv's and so on. i have a 35 mile to the gallon car and a 50 mile to the gallon motorcycle and i strugle to fill them with gas. so you are wrong wrong wrong !!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive