U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Your thoughts on gas prices?
The Lower the Better 143 65.60%
Its fine where it is today 15 6.88%
The Higher the Better 50 22.94%
not sure/other 10 4.59%
Voters: 218. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-23-2008, 11:51 AM

2,739 posts, read 5,556,520 times

Advertisements

They just jacked regular up to $4.40....and diesel is $5.15....just in time for Memorial Day weekend....

Bud
Seward, Ak
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 12:12 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,869,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
The sad thing is everyone is bitching but how many are actually trying to do something about it?

As many fat asses as America has, I think it's time more more people start riding bicycles. It will help burn calories while reducing the need for gas.

Then just save the car for when you need to do something you can't do with a bicycle, such as drive on the free way to get to the grocery store once or twice a month.

But nope, fat ass Americans would rather gripe about how it costs them $100 to fill up their Expedition that only they ride in, while stuffing a big mac in their mouth with the other hand. Nevermind getting a smaller vehicle, you NEED that big ass SUV to tote just yourself in. And you CANT break loose of that big mac long enough to start riding a bicycle.

In the mean time the oil nazis, who now have this game down to a science (because they know you have no other option and you're gonna pay for it on your own free will), will slowly continue to raise the prices of oil in small increments (so you don't go into shock) until you are paying over $10 a gallon....for 87 octane. Believe it, it will happen.

America.....gotta love it.
Agreed.... +1

Old 05-23-2008, 12:51 PM

546 posts, read 1,418,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetar10 View Post
do you really think the amount of gas they use for sporting events is responsible for increasing the demand?
Well of course it increases demand, they're consuming it aren't they? I never said they were SOLELY responsible....

I'm not blaming sporting events for the high prices, but the government is regulating car manufacturers gas mpg requirements, at what point/price should the government regulate events that are not necessary? 10 bucks a gallon?

Old 05-23-2008, 12:52 PM

546 posts, read 1,418,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
They just jacked regular up to $4.40....and diesel is $5.15....just in time for Memorial Day weekend....

Bud
Seward, Ak
I thought gas was cheaper in Alaska.... FYI: gas in venezuela is like 10 cents a gallon...

Old 05-23-2008, 01:47 PM

3,541 posts, read 9,081,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetar10 View Post
do you really think the amount of gas they use for sporting events is responsible for increasing the demand?
I think all the motor sports combind might make up a big portion of fuel useage but i don't think it is the reason why. but you figure all the tractor trailers and race cars in all motorsporting events use alot of fuel though. wether it be diesel or gas.

Old 05-23-2008, 03:45 PM

22,304 posts, read 17,469,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFRRACING View Post
I think all the motor sports combind might make up a big portion of fuel useage but i don't think it is the reason why. but you figure all the tractor trailers and race cars in all motorsporting events use alot of fuel though. wether it be diesel or gas.
They also cerate many jobs.

Old 05-23-2008, 03:54 PM

6,704 posts, read 10,822,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
The sad thing is everyone is bitching but how many are actually trying to do something about it?

As many fat asses as America has, I think it's time more more people start riding bicycles. It will help burn calories while reducing the need for gas.

Then just save the car for when you need to do something you can't do with a bicycle, such as drive on the free way to get to the grocery store once or twice a month.

But nope, fat ass Americans would rather gripe about how it costs them $100 to fill up their Expedition that only they ride in, while stuffing a big mac in their mouth with the other hand. Nevermind getting a smaller vehicle, you NEED that big ass SUV to tote just yourself in. And you CANT break loose of that big mac long enough to start riding a bicycle.

In the mean time the oil nazis, who now have this game down to a science (because they know you have no other option and you're gonna pay for it on your own free will), will slowly continue to raise the prices of oil in small increments (so you don't go into shock) until you are paying over $10 a gallon....for 87 octane. Believe it, it will happen.

America.....gotta love it.
cold as ice, but true.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:12 PM

229 posts, read 924,045 times
Gas prices are cheap compared to that theyll be in the future.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:31 PM

24,939 posts, read 18,532,301 times
It's not the gas prices I worry about paying...It's the cost of everything else that is rising because of those prices...I also heat with oil...Ouch! Gas went up again here today to $5.20 per US gallon.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:37 PM

22,304 posts, read 17,469,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caution View Post
drill here. now.
find a long term solution by subsidising the risk of research (like we do for space and military programs), but drill here while you're at it.

:-)

the prices don't bother me since I hardly drive, but the costs will creep since nearly everything we consume depends on oil
China drilled 50/60 miles form the US border in Cuban waters in 06. These wells are pumping productively. How stupid can we be?????????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive