U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Your thoughts on gas prices?
The Lower the Better 143 65.60%
Its fine where it is today 15 6.88%
The Higher the Better 50 22.94%
not sure/other 10 4.59%
Voters: 218. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 08:20 AM

3,975 posts, read 6,918,468 times

Advertisements

Would the US be better off (define that as you will) with higher or lower gas prices?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 08:23 AM

17,948 posts, read 22,745,702 times
Huh?????

Why would we want higher gas prices? I'm not sure I understand this thread.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:42 AM

if we have lower fuel prices, people will no longer be interested in alternatives.

this country has a VERY short attention span!

we will continue to sprawl

wont help the air much, etc...

Old 11-27-2007, 02:21 PM

262 posts, read 24,482 times
who the heck is saying higher gas prices that makes no sense companies are looking inot alternative fuels regardless of the prices

Old 11-27-2007, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfrench8456 View Post
who the heck is saying higher gas prices that makes no sense companies are looking inot alternative fuels regardless of the prices
not true

if gas fell to 25 cents a gallon, research would dry up overnight.

Old 11-27-2007, 02:43 PM

5,511 posts, read 10,720,442 times
I'm all for higher gas prices. I've had my car for 10 years this spring and only have 60k miles on it (at 30+ mpg). I currently fill my tank every 4-6 weeks, in the summer when I can ride my bike to work, its more like every 6-8 weeks. There needs to be more incentive for people to find alternate forms of transportation, and for the car manufacturers to find affordable, green sources of power. On average, Americans spend a tiny portion of our available income on fuel compared to other countries around the world.

Personal opinion, there should be much higher gas taxes, and the difference should be used in some fashion to reward those individuals or companies who take steps toward a greener form of transportation.

An interesting article: The Oil Drum | The Cost of Gasoline around the World

I read a quote once that has stuck with me, along the lines of: "The difference between an American and an Englishman is that an Englishman thinks 100 miles is a long way and an American thinks 100 years is a long time." Yes, in the US we do a lot of driving because things are farther apart. This is no excuse to be wasteful, rather it is THE reason why we should be the world's leaders in the advancement of fuel alternatives.

Old 11-27-2007, 02:44 PM

520 posts, read 1,338,431 times
I agree with crystalblue. THe only reason companies are researching now is that gas prices are at record highs. No one cared about ethanol before gas prices started rising a couple years ago. Now you can buy cars that run off E85. Other alternative energy sources are also seeing increased funding.

Personally I'd like to see gas prices go higher so that I have less people do deal with on my commute

Old 11-27-2007, 04:11 PM

1,528 posts, read 4,241,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Huh?????

Why would we want higher gas prices? I'm not sure I understand this thread.
Simple, It would discourage use of Fossil Fuels. Not only so but maybe JUST maybe they could use the extra money investing into another type of energy. whether you agree with global warming (and that it out fault or that its natural or whatever) the fact is Gas will run out and we have to find alternative sources. This will be easier to do with more money, but...idk the US government can't seem to pull its thumb out of its mouth sometimes.

Lower gas prices will get you by Tomorrow, and the next day, and maybe until Next week...but after a couple of weeks, there are months, and then years, and then what? we have higher prices and have accomplished nothing. We might as well take the time to suffer now that way we don't have to suffer MORE latter.

Old 11-27-2007, 05:11 PM

2,249 posts, read 4,147,908 times
I like them lower. Alternative fuel sources are going to be developed no matter what the price of oil is because eventually it will run out, and by expediting the process we can get it done more quickly.

Old 11-27-2007, 05:13 PM

2,249 posts, read 4,147,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
if gas fell to 25 cents a gallon, research would dry up overnight.
No it wouldn't. With more gas consumption, oil reserves are eventually going to be exhausted more rapidly and we'll have no choice but to look for alternative fuel sources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive