Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 06:31 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,355,911 times

Advertisements

There's three things that make a car go. Fuel, electricity and mechanical. You got fuel and you say you got spark so that leaves mechanical. Your timing may have gone wonky somewhere. It could be the belt or it could be the crankshaft position sensor. It could be something else.

Gonna need a mechanic for diagnosis but you can get a handheld scanner and pull the codes from it.

This site will translate it for you.

OBD-Codes OBD-II Trouble Codes - DTC Codes Car Repair
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 07:59 PM

2,259 posts, read 4,722,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Might sound silly, but you're not out of gas, right?

I wonder if your timming belt has slipped.
Yes it has a full tank.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:37 PM

2,341 posts, read 11,973,688 times
I assume you're not punching the accelerator like you would with a carbed engine. That can flood an injected car pretty easily.

If your timing belt had slipped some cogs, it wouldn't have been running perfectly the other night.

I've seen the wrong - or badly worn - spark plugs do weird things like that. Some cars are extremely sensitive to having certain plugs.

I have run across a couple vehicles where a faulty coolant temp sensor had the ECM screwed up, and it was just dumping too much gas into the engine when it was cold. That's a long-shot, but a possibility.

Beyond that, it's really hard to guess from from my warm, comfortable recliner that is sitting in front of the fireplace...

Old 01-04-2014, 10:50 PM

25,340 posts, read 16,989,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
So our car has been sitting for most of the week and we went to start but nothing. It would crank and crank but would not start , the spark pulgs have gas on them so im thinking fuel isnt an issue. The wife said it started last night. The weather man said its been around 10here or below, but feels like -5. Could the cold be messing with the battery enough to turn it but not enough to start the engine.
You verified spark, right? If not get yourself a spark tester. They're cheap. $5.

You smell gas on the plugs, right?

Suspect timing belt. When the car turns over is it a steady wa-wa-wa-wa-wa, or an interrupted wawawaw-wa-wa-wawawawa.....
Should be the former.
Timing belt could have gotten old, cold, and broken.....

Old 01-05-2014, 07:35 AM

131 posts, read 223,406 times
OP,
How many miles on the plugs? Had the same issue in cold weather with my daughter's car. Original plugs, non-platinum, non-iridium, had almost 50K on them. A new set of Denso platinum plugs was the cure.
FWIW
YMMV

Old 01-05-2014, 08:04 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,544,333 times
The battery may have been too cold to provide the voltage needed operate the fuel and ignition systems properly. Try jump starting it from another car with the source car spinning its engine to provide the voltage. You really do not need to heat the wet plugs that much. A heat gun or hair dryer will do. Try placing the plug on a grounded metal part of the engine, away from the open plug hole, and try the starter. Check if a nice bright spark jumps the gap. Do not try holding the plug end of the ignition wire in your fingers while doing this test. Modern ignitions systems can put out enough current and voltage to be a shock danger. If you are holding onto a leaking plug wire and the engine starts you will get really zapped.

After getting the thing running treat it to a new set of plugs and wires.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:19 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,722,546 times
I put motorcraft platinums in this fall. I did have it hooked up to the battery charger but not for to long.... i did notice when trying to start it (cranking it) the interior lights kind of flicker and the tape player would act like its trying to play.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:32 AM

1,767 posts, read 2,390,763 times
I don't know if this vehicle has a security chip key? Possible dead battery? When my DW recently lost the guts to our key the engine would still crank and not start.

Old 01-05-2014, 01:18 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,720,249 times
My vote is...............timing belt

A 12 year old car, very possible

Old 01-05-2014, 01:24 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,108,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
I put motorcraft platinums in this fall. I did have it hooked up to the battery charger but not for to long.... i did notice when trying to start it (cranking it) the interior lights kind of flicker and the tape player would act like its trying to play.
When you figure out what the problem is please report back. That will be helpful to other people who may have a similar problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive