Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2014, 08:35 PM

2,259 posts, read 4,750,068 times

Advertisements

So our car has been sitting for most of the week and we went to start but nothing. It would crank and crank but would not start , the spark pulgs have gas on them so im thinking fuel isnt an issue. The wife said it started last night. The weather man said its been around 10here or below, but feels like -5. Could the cold be messing with the battery enough to turn it but not enough to start the engine.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 08:48 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
So our car has been sitting for most of the week and we went to start but nothing. It would crank and crank but would not start , the spark pulgs have gas on them so im thinking fuel isnt an issue. The wife said it started last night. The weather man said its been around 10here or below, but feels like -5. Could the cold be messing with the battery enough to turn it but not enough to start the engine.
Absolutely. Time for a jump from a known good battery, and/or put it on a charger for a while.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:28 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
It's also possible that you flooded the motor when trying to start the car several times. This can happen as follows on fuel injected motors:

a. If you step or the gas pedal trying to start the motor

b. If you try to start the motor several times

This is more common when there is not a strong spark lighting the fuel being injected onto the motor. When you turn the key to start the motor, the computer allows for a greater amount of fuel to be injected at the beginning. This provides for a high idle speed. But if for any reason the spark plugs don't produce a strong spark, the very cold fuel could fail to ignite, and this in turn leaves the spark plugs coated with fuel. if there is too much fuel in there, the motor is then flooded.

If you jump start the car and it won't start right away, remove the spark plugs to allow the excess fuel in the combustion chambers to evaporate. This could take a couple of days. Meanwhile, dry and clean the spark plugs, and then check their condition or replace as needed.
---------

WARNING: whatever you do, don't try to dry the combustion chambers with any means that produces heat, sparks, or a flame. But a mechanic can use clean compressed air with the aid of a tube or narrow hose through the spark-plug holes. I have done this type of repairs to some of my cars in the past (it gets very cold up here)

Old 01-03-2014, 09:46 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post

1. battery is OK because it "kkeps cranking"

2. plugs have gas on them is just that, like Rayin said - flooded engine. Engine was cold, maybe slightly leaking injectors, too much gas condensed on plugs, causing no burn issue.

1. fix #1. Pull plugs out, hold spark by porcelain insulator with pliers, then burn electrode whiote hot with butane torch. Let'm cool down, reinsert, should fire right away.

2. fix #2. Charge battery and start "flooded" engine holding gas pedal all the way down to the floor, while cranking with starter. At some point, engine should start doing chug, chuga-chuga, then catch, let go of gas pedal right away.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:48 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
When the temp goes way down....it is harder for the engine to crank. The oil viscosity is higher and the electrons have a harder time flowing in a cold battery.

I would put the car in a warmer place and also give the battery a quick charge.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:49 PM

Diagnosing an engine flood on your fuel injected vehicle. - YouTube

Old 01-04-2014, 04:49 AM

1,617 posts, read 5,671,924 times
What if it's a '68 Dodge Dart? Not sayin' it is, but it might as well be.

Year, make, and model, please!

Old 01-04-2014, 07:35 AM

If it's 68 car, you definitely try starting it in flood mode. They liked it.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:02 PM

2,259 posts, read 4,750,068 times
Its a 2002 dodge neon 2.0 sohc automatic. Today it was a balmy 31 and still nothing. I bougt the battery this summer CCA rating of 540 amps. I had them put in 5W oil for the winter. I tried starting fluid that didnt help. I pulled the plugs they were wet and smelt of gas. I pulled the wires while it was cranking and there was spark. Its so weird that the previous night my wife started it right up and by the next morning....nothing.

Old 01-04-2014, 04:36 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,419,497 times
Might sound silly, but you're not out of gas, right?

I wonder if your timming belt has slipped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive