Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 12:56 PM

1,767 posts, read 2,390,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
WOW, was it company policy to not have DUIs or was there more at play? Did you recover and find a new job that was comparable?

There are countless people that never learn...
Group insurance dictates they will not cover employees with DUI conviction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 02:10 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,745,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordsmith680 View Post
Group insurance dictates they will not cover employees with DUI conviction.
Exactly. Hard to manage a dealership uninsured.

Yes, I was able to get my life back on track. But an arrest, even without a conviction, can have a major impact. I was fortunate enough to be able to learn from it and have a second career. Not everyone is that fortunate.

Old 01-06-2014, 02:50 PM

9,774 posts, read 11,430,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
WOW, was it company policy to not have DUIs or was there more at play? Did you recover and find a new job that was comparable?

There are countless people that never learn...
Most companies have a code of conduct. A lot companies also require you having and keeping a clean and free driving record(For insurance purposes).
Most major insurance companies will drop you after your first DUI.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:19 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,745,931 times
I now own 2 companies and my income has increased. Maybe it was the "kick in the pants" that I needed. I can think of easier motivational tools, though :/

Old 01-06-2014, 03:45 PM

4,260 posts, read 8,119,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
It absolutely is different.

Summer of 2012 I was attending a bachelor party at a local hotel... I had been drinking but didn't have any intent on driving. Once they started playing rap music I went outside to my car to get some different CDs. Apparently the hotel security guard saw me and called the police.

I was sitting in my car in the parking lot, key in the ignition (not running, just turned back to power on the electronics) and a cop knocks on my window asking me if I had been drinking. "Yeah, but I'm just searching CDs I'm not driving."

I was arrested for DUI... they called it "willful control of a motor vehicle" because I was in the car with the keys. The fact the engine wasn't running didn't matter. They impounded my car. They didn't take me to jail though... they called my roommate to come get me.

I hired a good attorney and my charge was reduced to reckless driving and I got 3 years UNSUPERVISED probation (which means I just send them a check for $20 a month). I still had to attend DUI classes and get an ignition interlock for 90 days.

Total cost?

Attorney - $3000
Impound - $350
DUI class - $400
Interlock - $400
Probation fee -$720
Reckless driving fine - $350

$5220... and my insurance went up $40 for the year due to the SR-22 I have to have for 3 years.

I honestly did not know you could still get a DUI just for being in the car with the keys... but oh well, an expensive lesson learned. Now I don't go anywhere near my car if I am having a drink (which isn't often)... The fact that I'd never been in trouble before and had a perfect driving record aided in my plea deal.

As far as the money... don't let anyone tell you otherwise... DUI is nothing more than a money making deal for all those involved. Why else would people be out on the street after 4 and 5 DUI arrests?
One of my friends had something similar happen.. Its been a while, but, he realized he was too drunk to drive, so, he pulled over somewhere, left the keys in, and crashed in the back seat... We was charged and convicted of DUI

Old 01-06-2014, 05:09 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,355,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
It absolutely is different.

Summer of 2012 I was attending a bachelor party at a local hotel... I had been drinking but didn't have any intent on driving. Once they started playing rap music I went outside to my car to get some different CDs. Apparently the hotel security guard saw me and called the police.

I was sitting in my car in the parking lot, key in the ignition (not running, just turned back to power on the electronics) and a cop knocks on my window asking me if I had been drinking. "Yeah, but I'm just searching CDs I'm not driving."

I was arrested for DUI... they called it "willful control of a motor vehicle" because I was in the car with the keys. The fact the engine wasn't running didn't matter. They impounded my car. They didn't take me to jail though... they called my roommate to come get me.

I hired a good attorney and my charge was reduced to reckless driving and I got 3 years UNSUPERVISED probation (which means I just send them a check for $20 a month). I still had to attend DUI classes and get an ignition interlock for 90 days.

Total cost?

Attorney - $3000
Impound - $350
DUI class - $400
Interlock - $400
Probation fee -$720
Reckless driving fine - $350

$5220... and my insurance went up $40 for the year due to the SR-22 I have to have for 3 years.

I honestly did not know you could still get a DUI just for being in the car with the keys... but oh well, an expensive lesson learned. Now I don't go anywhere near my car if I am having a drink (which isn't often)... The fact that I'd never been in trouble before and had a perfect driving record aided in my plea deal.

As far as the money... don't let anyone tell you otherwise... DUI is nothing more than a money making deal for all those involved. Why else would people be out on the street after 4 and 5 DUI arrests?
This is BS. What does D in DUI stand for? DRIVING!!! and you're not driving. So what if you're sitting in the car without engine running and on a private property.

Old 01-06-2014, 05:18 PM
MJ7 MJ7 started this thread

6,221 posts, read 10,677,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeGer View Post
This is BS. What does D in DUI stand for? DRIVING!!! and you're not driving. So what if you're sitting in the car without engine running and on a private property.
Some just clump OUI in with DUI...could have been the case here.

Old 01-06-2014, 05:18 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,210,798 times
It depends on the state and what their laws are. Massachusetts instituted melanie's law in 2005 which seriously changed the
rules. The DMV used to go back 7 years in regards to DWI's and then they where erased, now they go back your entire lifetime
and hold you accountable, also they share all info with the other 50 states..
Personally, IDT someone that had a DWI 20 something years ago should be held against them now, where it can royally
screw up your life and family. You can go out and have a couple of beers and blow a .08 and be charged when in reality your
not impaired..
Especially when there is no accident involved, and something like a random checkpoint

Old 01-06-2014, 05:37 PM
MJ7 MJ7 started this thread

6,221 posts, read 10,677,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brienzi View Post
It depends on the state and what their laws are. Massachusetts instituted melanie's law in 2005 which seriously changed the
rules. The DMV used to go back 7 years in regards to DWI's and then they where erased, now they go back your entire lifetime
and hold you accountable, also they share all info with the other 50 states..
Personally, IDT someone that had a DWI 20 something years ago should be held against them now, where it can royally
screw up your life and family. You can go out and have a couple of beers and blow a .08 and be charged when in reality your
not impaired..
Especially when there is no accident involved, and something like a random checkpoint
Yes, I agree. Also, police often state it is your own ignorance for not knowing the state laws. Most people don't even know their Congressman, Sheriff, Mayor and they expect you to understand the laws of the state? If they are going to be so harsh they need to also educate the populations, and you don't do that effectively by not telling anyone and by otherwise first hand accounts after the damage is already done.

In the state I reside the law holds each DWI/DUI on your driving record for 5 years.

Old 01-06-2014, 05:42 PM

18,748 posts, read 11,707,041 times
Hope the police officer that arrests you retires like my husband did after his last DUI arrest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive