Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 02:42 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,656,926 times

Advertisements

The 2 fitty is a great choice for a beginner. Will run forever, too.
The only thing that cant be overstated is to ride like you re in video game and cars get points to run you over, then conduct your affairs according. Most accidents happen at intersections. Cars, as many times as not, will left turn in front of a bike cuz they cant judge the speed. Also, Newer cars have serious blind-spot issues. NEVER assume a car will see you. Even you have made eye contact, NEVER assume the car will yield to you. Sad, but true. There is a "dominion by tonnage" mindset amongst some anti-cycle car drivers, too. Cars, scary stuff when you are on a bike
Have fun You'll get it by riding smart and taking your time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 05:28 AM

2,341 posts, read 12,036,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurn Blansten View Post
Well, you may have been operating motorcycles for 35 years, but we have yet to determine whether you are capable of actually riding or not.
That's just stupid.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:40 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,815,689 times
Boots--always! Something with a heel--always! I don't care how hot it is--never tennis shoes or UGH! flip-flops. Seen it all.

Helmet--always!

Gloves--always!

Pants--always!

Pretend you are INVISIBLE! Always!

Old 01-07-2014, 07:07 AM

131 posts, read 224,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post

Assume you're invisible, and act accordingly, because to many drivers, you are.
This^. Here in New Jerky, many drivers seem oblivious to anything smaller than a canary yellow 18 wheeler.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:24 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,166,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHavensFinest View Post
Be careful with the front brake.
In the sense that, of the two, it's the one you REALLY don't want to lock, OK. But street riding does/should use more front than rear (which is the complete opposite of dirt riding)

Quote:
Do use the brakes when your leaning over.
I wouldn't reccomend this, at least not when beginning. Get all your deceleration done with the bike upright, then turn. When you're comfortable with all this, then start reading up on concepts like trail braking, etc.

Quote:
Watch out for oil spots and sand on the road. It only takes a drop of oil on the street to slide out.
Yes. Add street paint and bots dots to that list as well.

Quote:
Use both brakes, not just one. You need to figure out the proper balance when braking. 50/50 would be a good balance.
More important than the balance is to understand what each brake does to the balance and riding dynamic of the bike, but learning to NOT rely solely on your front brake (a bad habit of yours truly) is a good thing.

Quote:
Always keep enough space so you never need to "slam" the brakes.
Absolutely, though having some parking lot practice so you know how much you can "slam" on them before lock-up is a real good thing. Brakes will do a lot more than folks give them credit for. I'd also recommend getting into the habit of keeping at least one finger on the front brake at all times (as opposed to having your entire fist on the throttle). The time it takes to extend the finger to the lever is that much more time you're not braking. This technique is known as 'covering the brake' and is taught in a number of riding/racing schools.

The debate over whether to start on a small or big bike has and will rage on forever. It's not worth re-hashing. Best advice on this (as has been mentioned) is to buy a bike that fits you. And I don't mean your personality, I mean it should physically fit you. It should be a comfortable position where all controls are easily within reach and you can comfortably reach the ground. I do agree with learning on something other than a cruiser so you can learn how to use your body to affect the ride. Because of the riding position of a cruiser, you don't really get that opportunity. Besides, new riders tend to think that bikes fall into one of 3 categories: cruisers, sportbikes, and dirt. Once you find out there's a whole middle-ground of great bikes in between, you may find a bike more suited to how you really want to use it. I'm not saying you should ditch the Rebel immediately. I'm sure it's a perfectly fine bike, but maybe try some other styles once you get a bit more comfortable riding. Besides, the market for 'beginner' bikes like that is really good. If you keep it upright and well-maintained, you'll be surprised how much you can get for it even after you've put some miles on it.

Yes, buy good gear. Leather all over is best, though admittedly in more casual riding situations (e.g. commuting), I wear jeans with knee/shin guards under instead, but everything else stays. Good gear costs more, but that doesn't mean you HAVE to spend a ton. There are plenty of websites that sell clearance gear for very good deals. A realistic budget is $100-$400 for a helmet (SNELL or ECE approved is best), $150-$500 on a jacket (same for pants), $40-$150 on gloves, and $80-$300 for riding boots.

As for the debate among the old saying that 'there are 2 kinds of riders; those that HAVE crashed and those that WILL crash', it's more about having the right mindset about the discipline needed to ride. At minimum, it should be interpreted as a good reason to always wear appropriate gear (All the Gear All the Time, aka ATGATT).

Mike

Last edited by whiteboyslo; 01-07-2014 at 07:32 AM..

Old 01-07-2014, 08:04 AM

2,341 posts, read 12,036,531 times
I'm not sure what the street crews is Baaaaastan do, but around here they spread a lot of sand during the winter months. A lot of novice riders, all excited for the first ride of the spring, get into trouble on that stuff. First corner they lean into, they're laying on the street and their cycle is up on somebody's lawn.

Lots of stuff to be careful of.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:43 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,450,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguirk View Post
You are certainly absolutely not guaranteed to go down if you lock the rear, lol. I would much rather lock the rear, and indeed I sometimes accidentally do that on my Ducati. The important thing us to KEEP IT LOCKED UNTIL YOU REACH A FULL STOP. If you don't, THEN you risk the rear "snapping back" into alignment with the front, and a probable high side.

This all comes back to my prior post, where I advocate REALLY learning how to handle a motorcycle in a safe, sandbox environment. Any competent rider can achieve maximum braking with a good squeeze, and any competent rider can make it out of a rear eagerly lock up, because they've practiced it before, know exactly what it feels like, and font panic.
Actually one piece of advice I haven't seen mentioned here, is to steer clear of the self-styled "experts", who often feel "entitled" to do crazy sh*t, especially while they're trying to show off to other bikes nearby! And in my experience, owners of certain 'sport bikes' are often some of the worst offenders!

Old 01-07-2014, 09:13 AM

364 posts, read 732,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Actually one piece of advice I haven't seen mentioned here, is to steer clear of the self-styled "experts", who often feel "entitled" to do crazy sh*t, especially while they're trying to show off to other bikes nearby! And in my experience, owners of certain 'sport bikes' are often some of the worst offenders!
Absolutely. My number one mantra is, "don't be a squid."

That said, not all people who ride big bikes are squids. I love seeing older guys in one-piece Dainese suits taking their GSXR1000RRs to the twisties on the weekends. There's nothing like tagging behind an experienced rider who knows how to SAFELY handle a big bike on public roads.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:16 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,825,951 times
I haven't owned a bike in many years, but I do drive a small hot rod where I am dwarfed on the road by SUVs and trailer trucks. I always assume the people around me are going to do something dumb, so I drive very defensively. I have had people swerve into my lane while trying to take a picture of my car, and everyone wants to race. You just have to constantly be on your toes and leave lots of room around you.

As for the comment about sportbike riders, those things are the armpit of the motorcycle world.....I hate them. Their riders have no respect for others, think the roads are for zooming in and out of traffic at high speed, and they have that annoying angry bee sound to them. Yes, those are generalizations, but 8 out of 10 of them drive that way.

Don

Old 01-09-2014, 12:20 PM

528 posts, read 822,982 times
Wear a helmet.
Every vehicle around you can kill you because a lot of the people driving them will never see you. So it's up to you to know whats going on around you.
Go to a large school parking lot and learn your bike, how it brakes, handles and shifts gears.
It's not a bicycle, do not ride it like one. The faster you go the less you steer, any sharp or sudden jerks on the handle bars while at speed can be disastrous. Directional changes are done by leaning into the turn. It's that balance of leaning and slight steering that can be a little scary and hard to learn for new riders.
Less crowded roads in rural areas are better to learn on than crowded city streets IMO. This does not mean you can let your guard down. Instead of pedestrians jumping in front of you it might be a deer.
Glad you are taking a safety course, pay attention and don't be afraid to ask questions.
If you are riding along and you notice someone driving in a reckless manner or tailgating you or if something just doesn't FEEL right pull over. Trust your gut.
Finally, DON'T DO ANYTHING STUPID and you will have years of safe enjoyable riding ahead of you.

Last edited by xjken; 01-09-2014 at 12:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive