Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 09:20 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,830,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Give me the model pontiac and your zip code and I will find you all the parts you need.

Did they show you the crack in the knuckle?

Second opinion is good advice.
excellent advice. if you trust the source that gave you the initial diagnosis, then likely the inspection is good, but unless you trust the source implicitly, get a second opinion, just dont tell the second shop what the first one said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 10:19 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,678,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atben99 View Post
ok so i got some new tires last week and they weren't able to do the wheel alignment because theres something bent on the front wheel/suspension.

went to get it checked today and theres a crack in the steering knuckle. also found other problems...
they quoted me around $650-900 for parts and labor.
knuckle/strut: 140
hub bearing: 203
tie rod:85
alignment: 70
labor for knuckle and hub bearing: 187
labor for tie rod: 93
so adds up to 800 something with tax.

it is an old car with lots of miles so its only worth like around $2k. expect more problems in the future because things get old.
should i fix it? is it worth it? or spend the money on a new car?

is it safe to keep driving it? should i stay away from potholes?
The quote is actually pretty good given the work they claim needs to be done. I would personally get a second opinion just to see if they come up with the same diagnosis. Preferably you should be getting a quote from at least one reputable independent shop. After that it being "worth it" all comes down to your personal situation. If you like the car and its been good to you, then it may be worth the investment. If you are in a place to get something new, this may be the time to get a new vehicle. The decision to repair is too dependent on your personal situation to give clear advice.

Old 01-08-2014, 11:33 AM

2,341 posts, read 12,041,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
The quote is actually pretty good given the work they claim needs to be done. I would personally get a second opinion just to see if they come up with the same diagnosis. Preferably you should be getting a quote from at least one reputable independent shop. After that it being "worth it" all comes down to your personal situation. If you like the car and its been good to you, then it may be worth the investment. If you are in a place to get something new, this may be the time to get a new vehicle. The decision to repair is too dependent on your personal situation to give clear advice.
Right. The estimate sounds okay, provided the work is actually needed, and/or they actually DO the work they charge you for.

Today has been "one of those days" at the shop. Just got in an 01 Volvo on which both lower control arms & ball joints are so badly worn that the car won't do down the street straight, let alone hold an alignment. The owner has a folder of all repair receipts - including a bill showing that those arms were replaced at "House Of Mufflers And Brakes" less than 12,000 miles ago, at a cost of $478. The ones on the car are the OEM arms, and the numbers on the part don't even match the ones on the invoice.

Let's just say that hell hath been raised - and to a new level. The owner is likely getting a $478 refund.

Old 01-08-2014, 04:14 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atben99 View Post
ok so i got some new tires last week and they weren't able to do the wheel alignment because theres something bent on the front wheel/suspension.

went to get it checked today and theres a crack in the steering knuckle. also found other problems...
they quoted me around $650-900 for parts and labor.
knuckle/strut: 140
hub bearing: 203
tie rod:85
alignment: 70
labor for knuckle and hub bearing: 187
labor for tie rod: 93
so adds up to 800 something with tax.

it is an old car with lots of miles so its only worth like around $2k. expect more problems in the future because things get old.
should i fix it? is it worth it? or spend the money on a new car?

is it safe to keep driving it? should i stay away from potholes?
If the knuckle is actually cracked, yeah, it's not safe to drive till fixed.

The above work looks like all new parts to me. Unless this model frequently cracks steering knuckles and the new one is an improved design, a used knuckle from a yard would have the bearing already on it and would likely be cheaper.

As to the decision on fixing this car or buying something else, you have not provided near enough information to offer any advice. Offhand I would not buy NEW, anyway - no newer than CPO.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:51 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,759,139 times
please give model and zip code for part locating and prices!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive