Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 12:10 AM

258 posts, read 229,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
The newer WRX's are available with a CVT auto.
The new WRX isn't out yet and won't be out for several more months being a '15. Also, as a WRX owner I strongly believe that people who don't buy a WRX with a manual should turn in their man card immediately. WRX should only be purchased with a manual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 02:53 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchromesh View Post
The new WRX isn't out yet and won't be out for several more months being a '15. Also, as a WRX owner I strongly believe that people who don't buy a WRX with a manual should turn in their man card immediately. WRX should only be purchased with a manual.
If the buyer never owned a manual, I strongly suggest not buying a WRX with a manual otherwise start saving for a new tranny.

A WRX with an auto is not terrible for those who never driven manual before. The turbo can be tricky to get it to spool and their gear ratios are not great for performance.

Old 01-11-2014, 03:22 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,885,624 times
The WRX with a CVT will be fun I bet. Always in boost. I can't wait to drive one.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:01 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
Quote:
The OP is a female so I don't think she would have too much of a problem with that haha

Having a WRX myself I would never consider a manual transmission, they are just more fun to be rowing the gears and getting into the boost, also, I am a guy so would have to agree with you on turning in my man card.

I am quite certain intermittent wipers have been standard on all Subarus for well over a decade so I think the OP should definitely clear that off as a concern.

Old 01-11-2014, 07:56 PM

51 posts, read 81,467 times
From: Are Subarus the best cars money can buy? - Fortune Management

Are Subarus the best cars money can buy?

Subaru's latest models are winning the highest marks for quality and safety. Here's how the tiny, quirky, "artisanal" car maker does it. By Alex Taylor III, senior editor-at-large

FORTUNE -- By the usual measurements, Subaru should be no more than an afterthought in the U.S. car market. It sells just seven car and crossover models and accounts for a slim 2.3% of U.S. auto sales. By itself, the Toyota Camry outsells the entire Subaru lineup. For years Subaru has been essentially a regional brand -- strong in the Northeast and Northwest but unknown in the rest of the country. No overnight success, Subaru of America -- the U.S. arm of Japan's Fuji Heavy Industries -- began selling cars in the U.S. 44 years ago and still ranks only 12th in size. Hyundai and Kia, which arrived two decades later, have developed broader product lines and sell several times more vehicles.
Yet Subaru has racked up more endorsements by independent arbiters of automotive quality and safety than just about any other manufacturer. Consumer Reports rates Subaru above Mercedes-Benz, BMW, and every other manufacturer in performance, comfort, utility, and reliability, and says the company makes the best cars in America. ALG (formerly Automotive Lease Guide), the industry's arbiter of residual value and used-car prices, named Subaru the leader in retained value among mainstream brands. And after crash tests, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety made Subaru a "top safety pick" across its entire product line, a distinction no other manufacturer can claim.
Fueled by this trifecta of achievements, just about everything Subaru sells is flying off dealers' lots this year. Despite a chronic shortage of inventory, the company has been breaking monthly sales records with regularity, and sales for the year are up 26% compared with last year's -- nearly double the 14% gain for the industry as a whole. Hurricane Sandy struck right in the heart of Subaru's customer base, yet the little car company saw sales jump 30% in October, vs. the industry's 7%.
What Subaru has done is to make itself into the first automaker that could be described as "artisanal" -- focused, individualistic, and really good at a very few things. With only limited resources, Subaru has made smart bets on features like all-wheel drive, developed memorable marketing and advertising that set it apart from the competition, and learned more about its customers than any other automaker. In appealing to them by geography, lifestyle, and, at times, sexual orientation, it has built the deepest loyalty in the car business. The company understands itself so well that for years its advertising tag line was the self-referential "It's what makes a Subaru, a Subaru."

Old 01-11-2014, 09:51 PM

1,558 posts, read 3,855,402 times
Lol.... Just reading your posts all. Right now I have a Toyota Corolla with 132k miles that is my commuter car. I'll be hanging onto that car for now. I am looking for a car I will be using in extreme northern Vermont and had my eye on the impreza. I am a car girl through and through. However I will also be living off a dirt mountain road so the crosstrek may be a little more practical. Don't worry about me and the wrx. I am not looking for that and I agree, manual for that all the way. It's kind of like me and a motorcycle.... they have them with auto transmissions? That's no fun. And yes I am a girl. But continue on with your conversation, I am enjoying it lol.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:48 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,855,804 times
I remembered a plus for auto trans: remote start in the winter.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:01 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,966,853 times
Quote:

while I tend to agree, as Ive got a manual in my WRX, hearing the reviews on the CVT sounds very intriguing. some reviewers are saying it's the best CVT theyve ever driven, and it goes perfectly with the WRX. That said, I would still opt for the manual as they also said it's probably the best manual thats ever come in the WRX.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:35 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,855,402 times
I just wanted to update you all on my journey or lack thereof with the car. Tomorrow I am going to the dealership to test drive and I'm sure that will determine a multitude of things....

I love the looks of the Impreza. Everytime I see one, I think they are just awesome looking. However, even though I love cars and am not the biggest fan of SUVs, etc (not that any Subie is THAT big) I am leaning towards the Crosstrek....possibly would even look at the Forester.

I have to remind myself that this vehicle will not be used for city driving, but primarily country driving, back roads, 3 mile dirt and rock road to get to my house, etc.

So - now that I've completely, completely, completely ruined myself with the Impreza....I am hoping the test drive will settle a lot of 'issues'.

Old 01-17-2014, 05:42 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times
Good luck on the drive!

BTW, just tell the dealer the "must have" packages or options. I am sure they can locate and bring in the an Impreza equipped as you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru