Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 03:18 PM

2,955 posts, read 4,964,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Perfect illustration of why I'm not a Lambo guy. Their designs have all the elegance and finesse of a punch to the face from Mike Tyson. I haven't really cared for anything from the Countach era forward except for the early Gallardo.
Yeah, they're crazy and over the top but that's still better than the squashed toaster eating a horseshoe look on the Veyron.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 03:25 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,107,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeatheist View Post
If you haven't seen a Bugatti Veyron, there is one at the Lamborghini dealership on Eastgate rd in Las Vegas by the Automall.
They aren't everyone's favorite car BUT they are an engineering marvel. A very rare one at though. I believe only 399 exist. I've been an avid car guy for a long time. I've been to a lot of shows, this was the first time I've seen one in person.

I apologize for the poor quality of the pictures. I wasn't prepared, I left my tripod and shutter remote at home. Hand held long exposure pics are no bueno. Anyway, enjoy.

I have seen one. Does that mean the car isn't at that dealer?

Actually I don't think I have seen one in person. I know there is one in town because a couple people I know have seen it.

Old 01-13-2014, 03:28 PM

6,410 posts, read 6,939,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
I remember that match up. The race was a mile long. The F1 was ahead from 0-250ish km per hour (a little past the quarter mile) before the Veyron caught up.

F1 is the better car.

I just watched it again, I was wrong, it didn't embarrass it. I do think if the stig was in the Veyron and Richard in F1 it would have been a different story, but nonetheless, the F1 is still one if not the best car ever made! People saying the Veyron can only go in a straight line are clueless, for a car of its weight to be top 5 or so of production cars to lap the top gear track is insane!

Old 01-13-2014, 03:53 PM

28 posts, read 29,751 times
Wow only 3 Veneno's. Crazy.

I've seen the Veyron on Rodeo Drive. Here's a pic I took of it:

Old 01-13-2014, 04:00 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,481,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
I just watched it again, I was wrong, it didn't embarrass it. I do think if the stig was in the Veyron and Richard in F1 it would have been a different story, but nonetheless, the F1 is still one if not the best car ever made! People saying the Veyron can only go in a straight line are clueless, for a car of its weight to be top 5 or so of production cars to lap the top gear track is insane!
First, there are two different Veyrons: The 'regular' one aka 16/4 and the Supersport.

Second, the Top Gear track is not as demanding as you think. It is considered an 'equalizer' track, but the brute power of the Veyron helped it. Top Gear was "disappointed" with the performance of the 16/4 but felt that the Supersport (which holds 8th place among production cars) was very fast but "held back considerably because of its curb weight".

Third, the 16/4 has been run on the Nurburgrin, a much more grueling track than the Top Gear one and only managed a 7:40 time. That time makes it slower than a whole host of cars and is considered a pretty "average" at best 'Ring time these days. An analysis of the lap also showed that it was all about the ability to put on speed on the straights that helped them get the time that low. The Supersport was apparently run on the 'Ring for a press event, but has never officially been timed.

I don't think anyone was saying the Veyron was incapable, but it's not a track car.

Old 01-13-2014, 06:52 PM
EA EA started this thread

6,791 posts, read 7,076,037 times
It's an engineering marvel. It's a show piece capable of very high speeds, and it does those speeds effortlessly.
I think Nissan did a better job with the GTR although it's not as artistic looking. The GTR is 1/2 to 1/10 the cost of other supercars, with a smaller engine, and a lot of weight, yet still wipes the floor with the others.
With a few mods, still well under the cost of just buy many other supercars, the GTR can beat them all.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:02 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,911,188 times
The area I live in these type of cars are seen everyday in all flavors of the rainbow....

Old 01-13-2014, 07:23 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,722,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
The area I live in these type of cars are seen everyday in all flavors of the rainbow....
No they're not.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:06 PM

16,979 posts, read 21,639,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeatheist View Post
It's an engineering marvel. It's a show piece capable of very high speeds, and it does those speeds effortlessly.
I think Nissan did a better job with the GTR although it's not as artistic looking. The GTR is 1/2 to 1/10 the cost of other supercars, with a smaller engine, and a lot of weight, yet still wipes the floor with the others.
With a few mods, still well under the cost of just buy many other supercars, the GTR can beat them all.
Ok, but they aren't really great looking and it is a "me too" car. I have seen dozens of GT-Rs but only 2 Bugattis. Bugatti is rare, a GT-R is not.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:15 PM

16,979 posts, read 21,639,463 times
My biggest turnoff to exotic/rare cars is who is around to fix them and who really wants them as a used car?

Case in point, Mercedes CL/SL/S-65 AMG (200 of each made each year), they cost 190K+ new and can be repaired at any Mercedes dealer in the country (world actually). Yet they aren't worth 50K after 5-6 years, 30K after 7-8 years. Who would fix a Bugatti? Who wants it once it's performance has been bested by a newer model/competitor (hassle for a used supercar that is no longer the best, the fastest, etc.) The tires on a Bugatti have to be mounted in France at a cost of $42,000 and after 3 sets of tires you have to throw the $69,000 wheels away! This is tons of hassle!

From Car and Driver:

Every U.S. Super Sport buyer also pays a 2.71 percent import duty, or about $62,000, plus a $51,000 delivery charge and $6400 in federal gas-guzzler tax. Adding an extra year to a regular Veyron’s two-year factory warranty costs about $70,000, though Super Sport buyers get it free.
A set of the Super Sport’s special Michelin tires costs $42,000 and may last 10,000 miles if you’re careful, though they last only 15 minutes at the car’s top speed (at that pace, however, the 26.4-gallon tank is sucked dry in just 10 minutes, and there’s no place on Earth to safely go that fast that long anyway, so no worries). At the third tire replacement, Michelin requires that you also swap out the $69,000 wheels—coincidentally, the only wheels that fit those tires—to ensure a proper bead seal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive