Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 08:49 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times

Advertisements

looks pretty nice can't wait till they update the Super Duty line up as well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 08:52 AM

327 posts, read 774,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger76 View Post
Only drawback I see with the weight decrease is how bad it may handle in snow/ice if you don't buy the 4x4 version.
The weight decrease will make it weigh as much as F150's weighed 30 years ago. I don't think it will hurt its performance in snow/ice. If someone has a 2wd up north they can throw on winter tires and some sand in the bed.

I hope other manufacturers follow suit, not just with trucks but across the line.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:09 AM

2,773 posts, read 5,159,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriansZ View Post
The weight decrease will make it weigh as much as F150's weighed 30 years ago. I don't think it will hurt its performance in snow/ice. If someone has a 2wd up north they can throw on winter tires and some sand in the bed.

I hope other manufacturers follow suit, not just with trucks but across the line.
Look at the aviation industry, aluminum body is already been replaced by the carbon-fibre body. Next truly revolutionary truck should be composite materials.

Future is here already, BMW is already using the carbon-fibre composite body for the i3:

Quote:
In a news release, the company also noted that composites will allow the company to produce cars while using 50 percent less energy and 70 percent less water, with the bulk of the environmental savings thanks to eliminating the traditional paint process used for steel or aluminum-bodied cars. The company is also using energy from wind turbines to power its production lines, so buyers will be able to not only point to reduced fossil fuel use in their driving, but also in their car’s manufacturing.
“We are completely redefining sustainability with regard to personal mobility,” Krüger said.
Delivery of the i3 to customers in Europe begins in November while North America and China will begin receiving the cars in early 2014.
To make the cars a reality, BMW had to collaborate with other firms. Its Moses Lake joint venture, SGL Automotive Carbon Fibers, is a joint venture with SGL Carbon SE, with SGL owning 51 percent of the firm which produces the textile used in the carbon fiber.
BMW also has an agreement with Boeing Co. to work together on developments for carbon fiber manufacturing simulations and automated production. Boeing, based in Seattle, uses carbon fiber throughout its manufacturing, most extensively on the 787 Dreamliner.
Composite-body BMW i3 starts production - News - Plastics News

Old 01-13-2014, 09:25 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,405,709 times
One thing about aluminum versus steel--if you thump a steel panel it has some give. It can deform a little bit and then spring back to where it was supposed to be. Aluminum is unforgiving: if you deform it, it will retain the deformity. I think you will see more minor dents on the road, given the costs of making repairs to aluminum.

Of course, fuel savings will pay for the bodywork. The weight loss is really huge.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:28 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
One thing about aluminum versus steel--if you thump a steel panel it has some give. It can deform a little bit and then spring back to where it was supposed to be. Aluminum is unforgiving: if you deform it, it will retain the deformity. I think you will see more minor dents on the road, given the costs of making repairs to aluminum.

Of course, fuel savings will pay for the bodywork. The weight loss is really huge.
From what I understand, the new F150 is actually more dent resistant than the last.

I don't need a truck as I don't haul around heavy loads or equipment but this is a very solid improvement and likely a game changer in the truck segment.

From Motortrend: "While Ford is being coy about defining the alloys used, we’re told they’re the same as used in military HMMWVs and aerospace applications. The engineering team learned about aluminum when assisting with the development of the original aluminum Jaguar XJ. We’re assured that it will resist dents and dings better than steel, and that it will not be substantially more expensive to repair (and hence to insure)."

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz2qIUpm5Jg

Last edited by iTsLiKeAnEgG; 01-13-2014 at 09:38 AM..

Old 01-13-2014, 09:44 AM

2,773 posts, read 5,159,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
From what I understand, the new F150 is actually more dent resistant than the last.

I don't need a truck as I don't haul around heavy loads or equipment but this is a very solid improvement and likely a game changer in the truck segment.
Not sure why they say it is "more dent resistant", since as Marcopolo pointed out, unlike steel there is no spring-back in aluminum alloys? Body shops will have hard time to learn on how to deal with aluminum body which has different properties when compared to steel (welding, dent repairs, paint, etc).

Besides lighter weight (less gas consumption), the non-rusting advantage is huge - so trucks can last longer...so it will be a better long term investment for many.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:54 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,405,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post

From Motortrend: "While Ford is being coy about defining the alloys used, we’re told they’re the same as used in military HMMWVs and aerospace applications. The engineering team learned about aluminum when assisting with the development of the original aluminum Jaguar XJ. We’re assured that it will resist dents and dings better than steel, and that it will not be substantially more expensive to repair (and hence to insure)."

Read more: 2015 Ford F-150 First Look - Motor Trend
I'm not sure I trust the "We're told..." kind of testimony, but my knowledge may be dated. I was around aluminum-body commercial truck boxes back in the day, and those puppies held every deformity, every time. Maybe there are new alloys that behave more like steel.

I've got this deal covered--I own GM stock in case Ford flops, and Alcoa in case it succeeds.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:06 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
I'm not sure I trust the "We're told..." kind of testimony, but my knowledge may be dated. I was around aluminum-body commercial truck boxes back in the day, and those puppies held every deformity, every time. Maybe there are new alloys that behave more like steel.

I've got this deal covered--I own GM stock in case Ford flops, and Alcoa in case it succeeds.
I'll wait to see real world results but with the release of a new and consumer untested product, all we can go by are what the manufacturer claims.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:17 AM
rhn

53 posts, read 120,283 times
I dont think body shops will have a significant learning curve when it comes to working with aluminum. Many vehicles these days have aluminum body panels. A large portion of Ford vehicles already have aluminum hoods (mustang, F150, explorer (hood and fenders)). The Acura RL is almost completly aluminum, and the majority of SUVs these days have liftgates made of aluminum.

The main concern with aluminum and body work is that extra care is needed in preventing contamination from "incompatible" metals (IE galvanic corrosion).

I think the new F150 looks great and will continue to sell well, especially after the aluminum proves itself.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:49 AM

42 posts, read 65,288 times
It looks like a Tundra.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln