U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 11:21 AM

14,777 posts, read 34,537,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
This is the downside to all the manufactures take on their FRS/BRZ fighters. Toyota hyped the crap out of it for like 17 years. They knew from all of the hype everyone was giving it that when they finally produced it, it was going to sell.

Now, 2 years after it was released other manufactures are finally realizing that people want cars like that and are making their fighter cars, but 2 years behind on just coming out with a concept, and then another 2 years for there to be a production car giving the FRS/BRZ a 4 year head start on sales which would likely capture a lot of the market for that sector. If they would have come out all around the same time, I think that each manufacturer, other than toyota and subaru, would have greater sales numbers than they will now.
Well, I'm not entirely sure about that. Being first out the gate certainly helped sales on the FRS/BRZ, especially the FRS which is pretty much singlehandedly responsible for rescuing Scion from the duldrums. Sales are hot enough that everyone took notice, but the issue is and always has been the cost of developing a small RWD platform. Rumor on the street is that the FRS/BRZ is not profitable. Toyota doesn't really care as the cars job is to serve as a "halo" for Scion with a trickledown effect on sales of the other models and it's working. Subaru is having a tougher time with the BRZ do to the FRS undercutting the price and the fact that the Subaru faithful either love it or hate it, more hate than love from what I've heard from a buddy at Subaru HQ. No one else jumped in feet first, because they have far less to gain from spending all that development money on a new chassis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 11:28 AM

304 posts, read 817,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
yep

put me down for a NISMO IDx
Look like mini-Dodge Challengers, not really a bad thing

Old 01-16-2014, 11:36 AM

5,092 posts, read 9,058,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KM_W&M06 View Post
Look like mini-Dodge Challengers, not really a bad thing

:facepalm:

Old 01-16-2014, 11:47 AM

304 posts, read 817,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
:facepalm:
Sorry, I'm not a Nissan/Datsun aficionado...IMO these new ones share more lines with the current Challenger than it's predecessor, but that's just me

Old 01-16-2014, 11:57 AM

5,996 posts, read 13,301,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KM_W&M06 View Post
Sorry, I'm not a Nissan/Datsun aficionado...IMO these new ones share more lines with the current Challenger than it's predecessor, but that's just me
It's sad that we can't just be auto enthusiasts. One side will start yelling about how awful you are for doing a disservice to the classic 510 by comparing it to a Dodge. The other side will tell you to go to hell for comparing their priceless Challengers to a Datsun.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:02 PM

1,139 posts, read 881,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I'm watching the hatchback wars and its good to see how they've increased in popularity just like sedans did a few years back. The 2015 Honda Fit looks like it will be a big success...
If the 2015 Fit's MPG numbers are as good as they're saying, I may be going back into one. LOVED the interior space and fun-to-drive factor, but I could never get better than about 32mpg.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:17 PM

7,192 posts, read 7,527,496 times
Audi R8 V10
Its a sexy little car up close

Old 01-16-2014, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Audi R8 V10
Its a sexy little car up close
This model is probably on its way to replacement since its been around for six years now.

Old 01-16-2014, 02:18 PM

3,054 posts, read 5,033,612 times
I have spent a few days looking at pictures of everything at the show, and all the new stuff is in my opinion UGLIER than ever! YUK ! Time to fire these car designers and get people with taste to design new vehicles!

Old 01-16-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
I have spent a few days looking at pictures of everything at the show, and all the new stuff is in my opinion UGLIER than ever! YUK ! Time to fire these car designers and get people with taste to design new vehicles!
Why would they fire the designers? The vast majority of the people in this thread and elsewhere have found something they liked at the show. You are the minority here. In general, whenever you really hate something, I know things are headed in the right direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or