Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 10:13 AM

2,335 posts, read 4,151,341 times

Advertisements

I had a field trip to the NYIAS back in 7th grade and attended the show for many years after while growing up in NY. I remember people picketing outside the NY Coliseum with their lemon Olds diesels while we rolled up in our school buses LOL. I lived in Detroit in the 90s and went to Cobo for the Detroit show for most of the years that I lived there. Maybe I'm becoming jaded, or maybe I just don't follow cars (or anything else) as much as I'd like to anymore with 2 4 year old kids but I thought the show and its offerings were a little underwhelming this year.

Having said that, I really liked the Volvo Concept XC Coupe. I'm looking forward to the next XC90. Hey, I said I have kids!

The 200 is nice too but I was hoping Chrysler would make more of a splash by unveiling the Hellcat.

Last edited by Cardiff Giant; 01-17-2014 at 10:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 10:42 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeatheist View Post
Nissan IDx. I am planning to buy one.

Me too, as long as I can get something close to the NISMO version they showed. Don't want it bigger so kids can fit in back or otherwise made more mainstream. Don't want anything other than what they showed at Detroit and Tokyo. (well, I will tolerate a bit, since obviously it was a show car, but it not much)

In general though, I am liking several of the various Asian small sporty cars that we saw.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:54 PM

347 posts, read 650,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Well, I'm not entirely sure about that. Being first out the gate certainly helped sales on the FRS/BRZ, especially the FRS which is pretty much singlehandedly responsible for rescuing Scion from the duldrums. Sales are hot enough that everyone took notice, but the issue is and always has been the cost of developing a small RWD platform. Rumor on the street is that the FRS/BRZ is not profitable. Toyota doesn't really care as the cars job is to serve as a "halo" for Scion with a trickledown effect on sales of the other models and it's working. Subaru is having a tougher time with the BRZ do to the FRS undercutting the price and the fact that the Subaru faithful either love it or hate it, more hate than love from what I've heard from a buddy at Subaru HQ. No one else jumped in feet first, because they have far less to gain from spending all that development money on a new chassis.
RWD originally fell out of favor for compact or medium cars for packaging reasons. The FWD transaxle and transverse-mounted engine is a much more efficient way to arrange a car's powertrain in a smaller car while also freeing up some passenger interior space.

Nowadays, inexpensive FWD compact, subcompact, and medium sized cars aren't exactly profitable at their price margins, but they make enough money for automakers partly because their platforms are designed to be shared between different models, from sedans, hatchbacks, wagons, to even small SUVs and crossovers.

So ultimately, it's not so much the developmental costs of designing a new chassis, but how many cars you can put this new chassis in.

Unfortunately, the sporty RWD platform that underlies the GT86 twins are so far used in just one car - the GT86. Given how much it cost to research and develop the chassis and engine of the GT86, and the car's smallish sales figures, it's no surprise that the car isn't profitable....yet. Toyota and Subaru need to not just sell more of the GT86 twins, but also produce variants of the GT86 (I've read that a GT86 sedan is on the horizon) as well as other models based on this RWD platform. Given how little of the car market consists of inexpensive RWD cars, and the extremely limited variety of car types that use inexpensive RWD platforms (mostly sports cars like the GT86 twins, the MX-5 Miata, the Mustang, the Genesis coupe...that seems to be it), it seems like Toyota and Subaru would have to invent some new car types and develop them for this platform if they ever hope to make it profitable.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:52 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,548,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
This model is probably on its way to replacement since its been around for six years now.
yea I know, but I love the Matte Blue on the car(performance is not bad either)
Top Gear recently had a supercar episode in Spain and the Audi R8 v10 won.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive