Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 12:03 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,762,267 times

Advertisements

OP, how many miles on it? LOL Best of Kansas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 12:08 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,227,219 times
Based on other posts, I have to ask: Is the cause of the problem known? It seemed like it was in the OP, so why would anyone replace the fuel pump also?

Old 01-20-2014, 01:10 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
Since the pump is not hard to get at, and the existing pump has only 20K miles on it, I would agree with most of the experienced mechanics who have weighed in, and just replace the lines, leave the pump alone. I would take a look at any sock filter on the pump and make sure it's clean.

Replacing the pump would spend money for essentially no value. You can't fix what ain't broke.

Old 01-20-2014, 02:43 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK76 View Post
I would take the vehicle back to the dealership and have it repaired under warranty.
I doubt it's still under any kind of labor/part warranty at 20k miles since the repair. The car is certainly under no manufacturer warranty since it is, what 15 years old? Any "warranty" would only be on individual repairs and it is rare that those would be for more than 12 months or 12,000 miles.

Old 01-20-2014, 04:32 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
The hoses are not rocket science, so I would definitely go for number 1, however, in this goofy society we live in sometimes you have to cover your tail. I have tried to do people favors like that and a lot of times they "forget" that you did them a favor if a problem ever comes up and they get all crappy with you.

If you do get them to agree to door number one, make sure you document it clearly on the receipt and have them sign that they agree 100% with your suggestion. You are held to a high standard as you are the professional, and sometimes that can bite you .

Sad we have to be that way, but people suck sometimes, even ones we try to help out.

Don

Old 01-20-2014, 05:38 PM

2,136 posts, read 2,312,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I doubt it's still under any kind of labor/part warranty at 20k miles since the repair. The car is certainly under no manufacturer warranty since it is, what 15 years old? Any "warranty" would only be on individual repairs and it is rare that those would be for more than 12 months or 12,000 miles.
I would be willing to bet they could get it covered under warranty, with a little effort on the vehicle owners part . I have 25 years experience as a technician and a shop owner, some of those years were at a dealership, in that time I witnessed and performed some repairs under warranty that was technically out of warranty by many miles, and in some cases years. I was astonished on more than one ocaission. A conversation with the service manager can make a big difference.

The easy argument is that the hoses should have been repalced at the same time the new pump was installed due to the age and mileage of the vehicle at the time, I know for a fact that I would have done so based on that information alone were I to have done the repair.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:49 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,044,274 times
Alright alright - I know you're all literally wetting yourself in excited anticipation of "the answer..."

I presented him his options. He chose #1. 4" of 3/8" fuel line & 2 small clamps later, we're in business. My written warranty to him is that if the pump goes bad within 6 months, he'll be charged for a new pump, but I'll do the labor for free. All in writing. The guy can't lose. And, having been in there once, I know I could replace the fuel pump a second time in about 15 minutes.

A pastor buddy of mine says there's a 4 word guide to life: Happy Wife, Happy Life.

I'd expand that and say, "Happy Customer, Repeat Customer." This guy has been a customer for quite awhile. He has a 14-year old Volvo with about 125k on the ticker. He'll be back. And he'll bring family and friends. All in all, a good day.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:22 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
GL - Where are you located?

Old 01-21-2014, 05:49 AM

2,341 posts, read 12,044,274 times
Twin Cities

Old 01-21-2014, 05:55 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,775,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
Alright alright - I know you're all literally wetting yourself in excited anticipation of "the answer..."

I presented him his options. He chose #1. 4" of 3/8" fuel line & 2 small clamps later, we're in business. My written warranty to him is that if the pump goes bad within 6 months, he'll be charged for a new pump, but I'll do the labor for free. All in writing. The guy can't lose. And, having been in there once, I know I could replace the fuel pump a second time in about 15 minutes.

A pastor buddy of mine says there's a 4 word guide to life: Happy Wife, Happy Life.

I'd expand that and say, "Happy Customer, Repeat Customer." This guy has been a customer for quite awhile. He has a 14-year old Volvo with about 125k on the ticker. He'll be back. And he'll bring family and friends. All in all, a good day.
Seems prudent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
...but it's in pristine condition. Seriously. Not a scratch, dent, speck of rust. New tires. "Best of Kansas" sounds awesome on the stereo.
Carry on My Wayward Son before we become Dust in the Wind.

The 1984 original or the 1999 reissue?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive