Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 08:52 AM

155 posts, read 274,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
What "guy" are you talking about?
The guy whose used engine question has monopolized this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 12:32 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrooks View Post
The guy whose used engine question has monopolized this thread.
If you look at the thread title, and you read the first post, it was MY used engine question. It didn't "monopolize" the thread, it was the TOPIC of the thread.

Thanks for playing.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:04 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,755,919 times
Three Wolves, is today the happy day you get the car back?

Old 05-05-2014, 10:00 PM

632 posts, read 747,917 times
Wolves
I've gone the used engine route several times over the years, mostly with success. A reputable supplier will be willing to to test an engine and provide you with compression numbers for each cylinder. You can usually find new engine comparison data, on line and forums like this one are always willing to help with interpretation of the information. Typically, you can find ninety day warranties and in a couple of instances I've negotiated and gotten up to 6 months. None of them covered labor for an install or removal if it failed.

The last two engine changes were Miatas. One engine cost $600 while the other was $900. Both were installed by a reputable independent mechanic for $350 each, plus fluids etc. Both cars are still going strong after 10,000 miles or more. Its a good way to go if you do your research and purchase from a reputable salvage dealer. My personal preference is LKQ yards that deal with collision repair shops. They test and warranty their parts and they can ship from multiple locations around the US.

Old 05-06-2014, 11:18 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,755,919 times
TWIS any news?

Old 09-25-2015, 02:11 PM

This is an update from getting the engine some time ago. I had been messaging CC in PM, but forgot to update here.

I got the engine put in, I tested it out, drove several day trips with me and my dogs, (since I work from home now), and all went well. Got to my first oil change, all still going well.

I have now moved clear across the country, (long story), drove 3800 miles due to the route I took since it was winter time when I moved, and the car did fantastic.

As soon as I got here, I got another oil change. Since that oil change, it's been a bit rough so I'm thinking he didn't do something right. It runs well, just not exactly the same. I had that oil changed about two weeks after arriving, so even after 3800 miles, it was doing great around town...nothing changed until that oil change.

I'm going to get another one at a different place, just because I don't trust that mechanic did his job right. New to town, don't know who to trust, but not trusting that guy now.

Regardless, my engine that I got put in now has over 4000 miles since it was put in, it's been over a year, and all went well. This was a success story. Thanks to everyone's shared success stories, I decided to take the risk, and it paid off.

Old 09-25-2015, 04:06 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,931,388 times
If your mechanic is recommending replacing the entire engine over some bent valves, he is not really a mechanic

Old 09-25-2015, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme View Post
If your mechanic is recommending replacing the entire engine over some bent valves, he is not really a mechanic
You should probably actually read the thread before making a comment.

Old 04-06-2018, 05:00 PM

1 posts, read 495 times
Default We give 3 months warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
To those who have some knowledge about engines, what are your suggestions/comments and/or advice on replacing a blown engine with a used engine?

(Please note: I would prefer not to buy a new car, even if I were to buy a brand new engine, it would still cost less than buying a new car, so please do not suggest it. Please also note that I do not have the money for a brand new engine, so am curious about used engines, which I do have the money for right now. Please also, also note, it's been almost a year, so I have been working and saving, and doing what I can...but I have to get this car fixed.)

Is it common or uncommon for used engines from a salvage yard to have any type of warranty? If so, how long is the average warranty for a used engine? What do the "people" do to the engine, (inspect it, run tests, anything else), before they sell it?

Has anyone had, or know someone who has had, a good experience with replacing a blown engine with a used engine from a salvage yard? Anyone have horror stories to share? I don't mean stories that you read on the internet, or stories that were heard third or fourth hand, I mean do you have stories, or do you know of stories from someone close to you?

What else do I need to know about getting a different engine put in? Do I have to buy other parts for it? What is boring, and is that done on used engines? What should the mechanic be doing when he does put a used/salvaged engine in? How can I tell if the engine is any good? What is a compression test, and what exactly does it tell you about an engine?

The goal is to find a used engine with lower miles than I have....which could be difficult because my car does not have a lot of miles...around 78k and it's a 2004. I don't want to go in to this completely blind.

Some people say a used engine is a good idea, some people say a used engine is a stupid idea. This is a lot of money, either way, so I would like to have some kind of information upfront before making a final decision.

Also, please use laymen's terms...just so I have at least some kind of understanding with what you may say.
Thanks.
My shop gives 3 months warranty and we charge about $500 labor. Deisel trucks, BMW's and others that require a great deal of work like the Audi Q7. We charge more. Leos Auto Repair in Fontana. (909) 384-2405

Old 04-06-2018, 10:21 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,148,782 times
Ii have been there before, it is better to rebuild what you have now, if possible. I took the gamble once, and regret the out come. I needed the top end rebuild for my 305 chevy engine ($600 for a full top rebuild), or I could source and gamble at the junk yard. I went the Junkyard route, had the block compression tested, and a good (so I thought) engine ($450). 6 months later, things started going south . a thump when idleing, because of a damaged piston. f! I am out $700 .

If you can rebuild, go for it, and while you are at it, replace any hard parts you may need at that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive