U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2014, 04:22 PM

3,436 posts, read 3,168,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Probably someone living in the 'countryside' without their own snow removal company or equip (and living in a climate with light powdery snow).

Granted I don't have one (rear plow), but it is a lot cheaper than my Dumptruck, Dozer and Bobcats and tractors I keep laying around.

I was actually looking for the great Internet Video of the guy with the old chevy station wagon and 'home-made' rear plow !!! that guy can move some SERIOUS snow!

Probably most C-D posters don't own a snow removal business, and not that many have their own bulldozers / loaders for snow removal. I have never considered getting a snow-blower, but my neighbor has an Oshkosh with a 10' x 6' snow blower, so I just use his (We 'back-it into the garage too!).
Oshkosh H-series High-Speed Snow Blower - Feature - Car and Driver

Maybe the OP lives in FL

That Oshkosh high speed blower is awesome! Your snow becomes the neighborhoods snow People backing into a garage the night before it snows would work well if you don't take care of it before you leave or head to work.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 04:47 PM

2,677 posts, read 6,041,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
You do realize that both are exactly the same...what order you drive then back and back then drive are no different
They are not exactly the same.

When you back in into a parking spot, you are backing into a fixed spot either between 2 parked cars or between your garage junk. Then you pull out head first, with much better visibility into either moving parking lot traffic or out of your driveway into the street.

When you pull in nose first into a parking spot, you back out into that same traffic, with poorer visibility. That visibility either includes turning your body/head, limiting one half of the view, or looking into a small back-up camera screen or using your mirrors.

The best view to go into traffic is front first. That's why we don't drive backwards.

Old 01-29-2014, 04:50 PM

2,288 posts, read 2,685,857 times
I always do. My garage isn't connected to the house and it puts the trunk closer to unload. My main reason is because I have so much trouble with my car, it makes it easier to get a jump or have someone work on it.

Old 01-29-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
They are not exactly the same.

When you back in into a parking spot, you are backing into a fixed spot either between 2 parked cars or between your garage junk. Then you pull out head first, with much better visibility into either moving parking lot traffic or out of your driveway into the street.

When you pull in nose first into a parking spot, you back out into that same traffic, with poorer visibility. That visibility either includes turning your body/head, limiting one half of the view, or looking into a small back-up camera screen or using your mirrors.

The best view to go into traffic is front first. That's why we don't drive backwards.

With that logic, you have terrible views going into your garage, the same views as backing out....either way you do it, you have to back in with terrible views, whether it's into the garage or on to the driveway leaving, it's all relative, your backing down your driveway whether your arriving or leaving. Unless you have an area on your driveway you can do this (most don't)

Old 01-29-2014, 05:22 PM

192 posts, read 350,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeinmo. View Post
My main reason is because I have so much trouble with my car, it makes it easier to get a jump or have someone work on it.
Agreed. My Dad taught to back in so that way you always get easy access to the engine compartment. Especially as the house his parents had was a two car garage that was one car wide, so if you parked with the engine in you had no room to jump start the car if you need to. He also backs in every place he ever parks, I agree that it is much easier to get out as you can usually see better, but I tend to nose in anyway as it is faster (backing in tends to confuse other people and they try to grab your space, also pedestrians, at least around here, don't seem to get that you are going into a space and walk around behind you).

Old 01-29-2014, 05:47 PM

7,127 posts, read 8,449,655 times
at my home, I always back into a garage. I also back into my driveway. almost always.....unless I have tons of groceries or stuff to carry into the house.

Now in pubic parking lots, I got straight in. My dad said, if a car slammed into my parked car...its more repairable for rear end damage oppose to front end damage (think of the stuff under the hood). So I guess after all these decades, this was stuck in my mind.

Old 01-29-2014, 05:58 PM

2,677 posts, read 6,041,184 times
Quote:
With that logic, you have terrible views going into your garage, the same views as backing out....either way you do it, you have to back in with terrible views, whether it's into the garage or on to the driveway leaving, it's all relative, your backing down your driveway whether your arriving or leaving. Unless you have an area on your driveway you can do this (most don't)

I'd rather hit a stationary object than a moving one!

But you clearly do not understand that most parking lot accidents happen from when a car is backing out of a spot. Why do you think that is? Because some people blindly back out or have limited visibility when backing out.

Maybe backing into a spot is hard for you ?

Parking lot accidents: statistics, causes, and liability | MyParkingSign.com Blog

http://www.mnltap.umn.edu/publicatio...02-backing.pdf

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/811144.PDF

Old 01-29-2014, 05:58 PM

1,123 posts, read 2,531,915 times
It's not just about convenience. If your garage is in an alley, it is EASIER to make the 90 degree angle while backing in. When backing in, 3/4 of the car is in front of the pivot point (your front wheels), making it easier to swing the car around. When pulling in forward, only 1/4 of your car is in front of the pivot point.

My wife scraped the front bumper of her brand new SUV on the side of the garage door opening three times before she finally heeded my advice and learned how to back in.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
I'd rather hit a stationary object than a moving one!

But you clearly do not understand that most parking lot accidents happen from when a car is backing out of a spot. Why do you think that is? Because some people blindly back out or have limited visibility when backing out.

Maybe backing into a spot is hard for you ?

Parking lot accidents: statistics, causes, and liability | MyParkingSign.com Blog

http://www.mnltap.umn.edu/publicatio...02-backing.pdf

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/811144.PDF
I understand all that. If backing out of a parking spot is done blindly, then that same person who backed into the spot did it blindly too and who cares if you hit a stationary or moving object in a lot, both are causing damage.

I back a 28 ft enclosed trailer behind a pick up truck into a parking spot daily during the summer at my shop The street I live on gets almost no traffic, so you won't see me hitting anything.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:26 PM

2,256 posts, read 3,615,078 times
Quote:
I understand all that. If backing out of a parking spot is done blindly, then that same person who backed into the spot did it blindly too and who cares if you hit a stationary or moving object in a lot, both are causing damage.

I back a 28 ft enclosed trailer behind a pick up truck into a parking spot daily during the summer at my shop The street I live on gets almost no traffic, so you won't see me hitting anything.

You really dont get it. Its statistically shown that backing into TRAFFIC is more dangerous than pulling forward into traffic. One of the reasons many fleets REQUIRE backing in/driving out.

THERES NOT TRAFFIC IN MOST PEOPLES DRIVEWAYS OR GARAGES. THERE IS TRAFFIC IN THE STREET THOUGH!

You are wrong. It is NOT "the same".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or