Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 10:44 PM

44,555 posts, read 61,283,437 times

Advertisements

I've been a member of AAA since 1962 and it's been worth it. Our cost is $55.00 for 2 annually. I've always had fast and courteous service. I think the longest I've ever waited was about an hour. Never been bothered by junk mail or spam from them.
We travel frequently and use the AAA discounts everywhere. Had to be towed once and it was free. Have had many flat tire changes done. Had to have battery jumps several times. Windshield replacements through them also. Good reliable service company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 11:27 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,541,556 times
It's $48.00 a year here in Los Angeles, and worth every nickel; the wait time for roadside assistance is never more than 30 minutes, and it's certainly saved me tons of $$$ on vacations over the years, and especially for car rentals.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:57 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,409,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I've used my AAA in other states. I never had a issue
Not what I said. They covered me, and when the found out the other family member lived in a different state they didn't want to honor the coverage and tried to force me to get a CO AAA even though it was family from the beginning.

Old 01-30-2014, 12:13 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,300,223 times
Love my AAA insurance. I always have old beater cars. I figure with my AAA and a cell phone, I'm safe. I don't use it a lot, but love it when I do. Even in the SF Bay Area, I never waited longer than 45 minutes. I've used it for new battery, jumps (got a "new" used Toyota that didn't automatically turn off the lights - took forever to get in the habit of remembering to turn them off), and i pay for Plus, so I can get towed up to 100 miles, I think, if I break down away from home.

I don't use the discounts often, but have used them, too.

Embarrassing, but true: I used it yesterday to get free gas. The light came on in the car again, I figured I had plenty gas to just get around town until Friday (payday), went to give blood yesterday and ran out of gas when I got to the parking lot! I gave blood, then when they put me in the snack room to sit for 15 minutes, I called AAA. They arrived in 30 minutes, right after I finished eating my Hagen Daas dark chocolate ice cream bar they gave me lol!

I've been a member for at least 25 years. Worth it for the peace of mind and simplicity in getting help.

I never get junk mail from them.

BTW, I really dislike AAA for any other type of insurance. I've found their customer service to be snobby and their prices too expensive. I used to have life insurance, plus the travel assistance, called to get a quote for car and renter's insurance - WAY more expensive than Geico and they aren't friendly. I love Geico for all my other insurance. Great customer service, and always friendly.

However, the AAA roadside assistance customer service is great. I don't know why it's so different from their other insurance, but it is...

Old 01-30-2014, 12:15 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,409,372 times
AAA is pretty critical when you live rural or 4 season climate. It's worth it.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:08 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,116,371 times
I keep AAA around just for the 100 mile towing, because I travel alot. It is also good if you lock your keys in your car, need a jump or have a flat tire. I have never run out of gas so I can't say I have ever used that service. I have always been delt with by AAA very swiftly. If there is going to be a delay, they will call you and let you know how long. And, they always ask if you are in a safe location which I know is their protocol to ask, but it is nice to me that they do.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:10 AM

140 posts, read 253,432 times
I have been a Triple A member for 8 years now. We have not used their roadside assistance much, but boy, does it come in handy. I ran over a huge screwdriver in the road on a very busy street once - immediate flat tire - and they came right away and put on my spare tire. Another time - most recently, my battery died without warning. Luckily, I was in my driveway. I called our local mechanic who is literally around the corner from home, and they said they did not offer any kind of home services. If I had Triple A tow me to their shop, they wanted $259 to install a new battery. So instead, I asked Triple A to bring me a new battery - and they came to my house, brought and installed a new battery, and checked my electrical system all for $141! I waited about 45 minutes for them to come out. It was awesome.

We don't travel much but have used their discounts a lot at auto shops. You can do a search online and they will tell you what auto shops will give you a Triple A discount. It is usually 10% off labor, which helps when you have a big repair. I have used it for hotels a couple of times, but truthfully did not notice that big of a discount. And if you do use the Triple A discount at a hotel, you can't use other coupons or discounts.

Just for those times of a car breakdown, it is worth every penny. My daughter has had the card since she's been driving. It's real peace of mind if you have kids.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:06 AM

10,865 posts, read 16,935,191 times
It's been my experience that all you need is one AAA call every two years for the service to pay for itself even without discounts.

Lock your keys in your car once, and that's a couple years of AAA membership. Dead battery in the middle of nowhere is one year of AAA membership. Flat tire or blowout is at least one year of AAA membership.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:31 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,346,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Not what I said. They covered me, and when the found out the other family member lived in a different state they didn't want to honor the coverage and tried to force me to get a CO AAA even though it was family from the beginning.
That's how AAA works. Associate members have to live in the same household. If you live in CO and family lives elsewhere, you're in different households and need two different memberships.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:46 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,300,223 times
What I also like, is that I'm covered in someone else's car, even if they don't have AAA. So, I can go on a trip with a friend who doesn't have it, say we have a flat in her car, I can call AAA to come fix it. I haven't used that benefit yet, but I love having it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive