Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 12:10 PM

9 posts, read 26,490 times

Advertisements

I always shake my head when I drive up to a gas pump and see an even amount like $20.00 or $50.00 on the screen, meaning someone paid with cash. It's stupid for many reasons:

A) You lose out on the 5% back you'd get by using a credit card. Some people complain that credit cards have fees, but not if you pay the balance. If you saved that $50 in cash then you'd have the money to pay the credit card bill (which would be only $47.50 after the cash back).

B) Going inside to pay means wasting time and blocking the pumps that other people are waiting for.

C) Paying an even amount could mean two different things. If you overpay then you waste MORE time going inside to get your change. If you underpay then you don't have a full tank and will have to get more gas sooner.

Join the rest of us here in the 21st century. Cash is obsolete and a waste of time and money.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:13 PM

2,533 posts, read 3,100,245 times
Why...why...why does the use of cash at a gas station bother you, to the point of calling strangers "idiots?"

Oh, okay, I see this is only your seventh post. I absolve you of your silliness. You'll soon learn to rein it in.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:16 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
you are a nutcase. I choose to use credit cards for buying my gas and pretty much everything else, but I don't care if someone else chooses to use cash. just accept that they have their own reasons for their preferences and move on.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:17 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,290,693 times
I fill to even numbers with my creidt card. Mind. Blown.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:18 PM

16,904 posts, read 16,125,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjawodfc View Post
I always shake my head when I drive up to a gas pump and see an even amount like $20.00 or $50.00 on the screen, meaning someone paid with cash. It's stupid for many reasons:

A) You lose out on the 5% back you'd get by using a credit card. Some people complain that credit cards have fees, but not if you pay the balance. If you saved that $50 in cash then you'd have the money to pay the credit card bill (which would be only $47.50 after the cash back).

B) Going inside to pay means wasting time and blocking the pumps that other people are waiting for.

C) Paying an even amount could mean two different things. If you overpay then you waste MORE time going inside to get your change. If you underpay then you don't have a full tank and will have to get more gas sooner.

Join the rest of us here in the 21st century. Cash is obsolete and a waste of time and money.

In my area of the United States you get a five cent per gallon discount if you pay with cash. Interesting that I am less than 50 miles from you.

You won't last more than a couple more posts here, calling people idiots.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:21 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,044,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjawodfc View Post

TROLL

By the way, I always use a debit card, and I always fill to an exact collar amount. To the penny. That way it's easy to know if somebody else is using my card.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:25 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,387,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post

In my area of the United States you get a five cent per gallon discount if you pay with cash. Interesting that I am less than 50 miles from you.

You won't last more than a couple more posts here, calling people idiots.
Perhaps he is trying for. How can I get on the most ignore lists in the shortest time?

Old 02-03-2014, 12:25 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,510,983 times
First off, they're people, not "idiots". While I use a rewards card not everyone has a credit card for whatever reason (young, poor credit, low paying job, not here legally, etc...). Even if they do many people are not comfortable using it in a gas pump (card skimmers). Some are older folks who never got into the plastic habit for anything other than major purchases. I'd wager my mother has more money than you ever will and she still pays with cash.

Regardless, why should it bug you that much? There are much more important things to worry about than how other people fill their tank.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:30 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,929,395 times
My guess is OP has been blindly paying more for each gallon of as by using CC instead of cash. A majority of gas station will charge you more for credit versus cash.

Don't get me wrong. I love using my credit card and I have a separate card and love the bonus but some purchases are better using cash.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:38 PM

358 posts, read 886,658 times
In some locations the charges are as much as 15 cents per gallon cheaper when you use cash. In other locations it is illegal to charge a different price for credit vs. cash purchases. There are even some locations where the service stations do not accept credit cards. Those are generally considerably cheaper than other stations.

Most 5% back discounts are temporary and subject to many different conditions. I am not aware of any credit cards that provide long term 5% discount on purchases of petrol.

Some people control their spending by using only cash. It makes it easier for them to track how much money they have left and avoid overspending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.