U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2014, 10:34 PM

120 posts, read 228,249 times

Advertisements

Hey CDers, so whenever I'm without my Vespa scooter im stranded and lately I have been on the fence about getting another mode of transport.

Bicycle vs Car vs another Motorcycle.

The thing about a car is that it seems like overkill since the vespa will still likely be my main mode of transport. Though the plus is i could start dating again without having to find out if i can borrow my moms car that night! Also a car in the rain is really a plus. Cost is also another issue - times are tough!

Bicycle - So relaxing, no dating on a bike but no maintenance either, no insurance.

another moto - pretty straight forward, having a backup scooter would be kind of nice, less footprint than a car.

transportation is also not a huge deal for me, I don't have a commuter job (work from home). though if i had a car i would probably be more involved in the social scene. Hiking to the spots downtown on a late weekend nt is kind of a schlep.

Sry if this post sucks, i have major retail-anxiety! What would you all do in my situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 07:43 AM

2,600 posts, read 5,442,327 times
You already answered your own question, get either a bicycle or another scooter plus remember that bicycles do need maintenance as well !!!

Old 02-07-2014, 09:38 AM

13,349 posts, read 16,509,989 times
Are you living in the SF Bay area on a $36k annual salary?
If so, then a car would probably be cost- and parking-prohibitive.
Stick with a scooter.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:00 PM

10,750 posts, read 25,521,951 times
I would likely get a car, since it would improve your social life and dating. Since you are not in immediate need, I would take my time and look around for a good, economical car, be it something like a vintage Mercedes W123 300d that can be converted to run on vegetable oil, or something like a Corolla. There would be an expense to any car, but the positives would outweigh the negatives, especially since you do not use it for commuting.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 02-07-2014, 12:49 PM

9,815 posts, read 13,883,984 times
This:

Not quite a car, definitely more safe than bike or moped or bicycle.

Old 02-07-2014, 02:55 PM

1,123 posts, read 2,325,859 times
My transport alternate IS my motorcycle. I would never dream of living without a car as my primary transportation. But I guess it all depends on where you live. SF, NY, Chicago a car may not be necessary. Everywhere else, it is.

Old 02-07-2014, 02:58 PM

358 posts, read 620,433 times
It is unclear to me why you believe you cannot date on a scooter or a bicycle.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive