Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 05:12 AM

2,147 posts, read 3,590,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by a32 cefiro View Post
Thank you for your feed back but i did get it diagnosed the only problem that showed up was the knock sensor so i changed it and scanned it again the diagnosis said system normal but it still cuts off
You might have had it scanned for codes and got a knock sensor code, but it was not professionally diagnosed. A code scan is not a diagnosis in most cases. It is only a first step.

Any decent automotive professional knows that a faulty knock sensor will not shut down your engine.

A proper diagnosis consists of the shop's tech driving the car until the symptom is duplicated and testing for spark, fuel etc. with the symptom present. A full-fledged scan tool should be attached at this time and the datastream examined. This costs money unlike a code pull at Autozone or similar, but should be less than the pointless replacement of a fuel pump and other parts.

If you paid a shop good money to diagnosis your car and all they said was bad knock sensor, shame on them.

Don in Austin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 05:35 AM

3 posts, read 19,869 times
Ok thanks for the advice

Old 08-13-2014, 09:31 AM

217 posts, read 325,965 times
Had this happen to my old 2000 VW Passat. Would randomly cut out on me while I was stopped at a light, while starting the parked car, as well as while going 40-50 mph (putting me in a few dangerous situations). Initially I too looked at the ignition and fuel pump as problems.

It ended up being a few of the fuses that they stuff in the door panel that needed to be replaced. After that it ran perfectly. Could still be driving it if a guy didn't run a red light and collide into my car a year later, totaling it.

Your problem sounds electrical to me.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:42 AM

1 posts, read 2,123 times
I have a 1992 ford explorer truck.. I took it in for a tune up it ran perfect for about 2 days all of a sudden the check engine light came on, and it keeps shutting off i can de driving and come to a complete stop and it will just cut off..i had it idle up but yet its still cutting off.it cranks back up instantly runs for about 10 seconds and cuts right back off..please could someone tell me what going on with this truck before i torch it. I'm tired fumbling around with it , and cutting off.. I cant go through the drive threw window because it wont stay runnimg

Old 01-08-2015, 10:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,955 times
Nissan Murano 2006 it just jumps and drives like its almost going off slowly then it starts again

Old 02-27-2015, 04:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,867 times
I have a 1998 pontiac grand prix supercharged 3800, 137000 miles and my car does this. The car makes a funny ticking sound whenever I accelerate? Help me

Old 03-18-2015, 02:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,809 times
I have a 2001 BMW it runs fine when the temp is cool outside but as soon as it gets hot and you are sitting in traffic it shuts off. Has anyone have this happen to them before, could it be a fuel pump problem??

Old 03-30-2015, 03:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,758 times
I have a 1996 Chevrolet Cavalier 2.2 engine with the same exact problem..Just started in January it dies out every blue moon but always start back up after about 30 minutes..I'm frustrated and I don't want to just keep fixing things until I get to the problem!!! HELP PLEASE!

Old 06-02-2015, 03:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,635 times
My wife car does the same thing. She has a 2006 Nissan Maxima and lately it's been driving fine at first but after getting in and out running around taking care of business and I'm almost home, without no warning the car just shuts off..

Old 06-15-2015, 06:07 AM

1 posts, read 1,587 times
a 2002 saturn vue .driveing along and it will just shut down .i pull over turn off and restart..some times it goes for days or even longer.does it at all speeds.the other day did it 3 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive