Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2014, 08:28 PM

3,422 posts, read 3,312,612 times

Advertisements

I posted in a previous that I am shopping for a pre-owned vehicle. I'm in Jersey and we've got like a foot of snow on the ground from last week's storms. I don't think it's a great time to look at cars, given all the snow and salt lingering. My wife points out that if we wait too long we may miss out on good deals, as some ppl are getting their tax refunds - and she has a point. But again, a lot of cars are either buried in snow, or filthy with salt! Am I being wise to hold off a while until some of this snow melts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 09:39 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,084 posts, read 80,136,113 times
The best deal I ever got was when I bought the first day after the roads were clear enough to drive safely after a big snowstorm. The dealer hadn't seen a customer in several days. I offered $3,500 under sticker, no additional dealer markup, destination or other fees and got it with no dickering. Might have been able to do better if I started lower. You might get a great deal now, but it's not a good time to test drive unless you want to see how it does on nasty roads. They will most likely be happy to clean it up for you to see how it looks before you sign on the dotted line.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:44 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,835,068 times
I know a car often rides differently when it is just wet outside, so I would try and hold off on it until things clear up. My Mustang drives easier and the ride makes it seem like a totally different car in the wet vs dry. A certain car may ride like a dream in the wet and snow, but feel like a rattle trap and handle differently in dry weather. I would want to make sure it drives OK to me in the dry weather when it will be driven most of the time. But I can understand that she wants something soon! My wife can't wait for anything once she has her mind made up!

Good luck!

Old 02-07-2014, 09:47 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,532,157 times
I agree with above, if you're talking about at dealers they're probably twiddling their thumbs right now! It might take a while to get a good look at the outside of the car, but they'll clean it up and you can drive it and check out the inside and so forth. Doesn't matter if the car has salt on it, still drives the same. They can wash it after the drive perhaps so you can check the condition of the exterior.

If you're talking private party, it'll be trickier. You might need to spring for a car wash during the drive in order to see it properly.

Either way, I agree it would be good to test drive again in better weather if possible. But usually that will on,y improve the ride. The bad weather gives you a perspective you don't often gets test drives. I'd go ahead and start shopping in the bad weather though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive