Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2014, 04:22 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,811,042 times

Advertisements

Yeah, 22-23mpg is with a programer, 2wd single cab truck with pumped up, low rolling resistance tires, slight tail wind etc. And all highway driving at 50-55mph.

My 5.9 has a programmer on it and it gets 20mpg. But I live in the country with no traffic, so it's all highways at 65mph.

Don't get me wrong, that's still a very impressive number for such a huge, heavy and capable truck. As I've said before, under the same driving conditions, my Forester XT gets only slightly better ~ 22mpg.

Old 02-15-2014, 06:37 PM

18,700 posts, read 41,910,995 times
I drive a truck for several reasons. I own two vehicles, a Ford F250 and a 400 Honda 4 wheeler. Both are licensed and insured for the road.

Normally, I drive the 4 wheeler, often putting more than twice as many miles per year on it, instead of the truck. Now that that's understood, I drive a truck because that is what I need. Do I haul a load every day, no. But when I need to haul a load, I need to. Unlike some rich folks, I can't afford the luxury of having a car with 3 empty seats and a trunk that will not haul what I need to haul.

My truck, even though it is a 4x4, gets 21-22 on the highway and about 16 in town. It's a 1985. When I ordered that truck, the national speed limit was 55, so I ordered with special gears for the tires I was going to put on it. It's a Diesel and it's not Ford's diesel for that time, the IH. I have a Cat, 3208 in it. Seeings how when I ordered it, I built it for 55, I'm stuck with that now. If I run 55, I get 21+ mpg. If I run 65, my milage drops off and if I run 75, my milage is really in the dumper at about 12 mpg.

Just the opposite of some folks on this thread, I don't understand why somebody would want a car. I guess if I had a family to haul around, I might have a car. The truck is way more versital on what it can do.

So, for the nay sayers, I bought it because that is what I wanted and that is what I paid for. If you want me to drive a car, cough up the cash and I'll be more than happy to drive what you want me to drive. Until then, I'll stick with my truck.

Old 02-15-2014, 06:44 PM

417 posts, read 864,199 times
I get 13-14 MPG in my H3, not sure why its so bad as its not that big of an SUV

Old 02-15-2014, 08:46 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,813,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
You are correct. I had a friend from Germany in town and he asked, why are there so many empty pickup trucks driving around? I just said, it is a status symbol and really most aren't used at all. They are stupid for most all people. They don't handle well, don't brake well and really are horrible in most everything unless you need to haul something. Judging by the countless empty pickups all over the place, they aren't used much. Better off driving a good car for safety of yourself and others and renting a pickup if you need it. Way cheaper and way more intelligent. The German guy laughed and said, there aren't many real drivers in the US I guess. How could one drive such a thing all the time if they were a "driver". I just laughed with him as we cruised down the road in my Audi which is 100 times any pickup if you are a "driver".
I want to thank those who gave me positive feedback. It was by far the most positives I got from a single post ever.

Lets face it, it is all about marketing and men thinking they are big heroes driving a pickup. Too funny.

Thanks again!

Old 02-15-2014, 09:01 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,688,889 times
Quote:
I want to thank those who gave me positive feedback. It was by far the most positives I got from a single post ever.

Lets face it, it is all about marketing and men thinking they are big heroes driving a pickup. Too funny.

Thanks again!
Reminds me of two people from work, both are short men, probably 5 ft 7 inches, and they both drive huge ass trucks, I saw one of trying to reach to the top of the glass trying to remove snow, I just wanted to stop and ask, do you need help with that?

Lol, it's a false security blanket for these short people that clearly do not intended to use the truck. Furthermore, most people that use trucks for work (myself included) only use them because we have equipment we haul around. But, most of the time you'll see plumbers and other hands on blue collar guys driving around vans, not pickups.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:08 PM

3,653 posts, read 4,784,182 times
I'm still wondering why these people spend THEIR OWN PERSONAL MONEY on vehicles such as these myself. I mean I'm sure they're never used for what they are designed for.

Last time I was in the market for a vehicle there was this single person in the dealer buying a 4 door sedan. Come on! 4 doors and a back seat? And single! He doesn't need all that space. I think he should have bought a motorcycle instead. It would make much more financial sense for him.

And then there are these people in my neighborhood who have mustangs and other similar cars. Go fast cars and they don't even race them. You know something? They should be taxed extra as it's just wasting resources.

And the people who waste their money on convertibles when it's too cold to use for half the year. Or it just might rain in the summer. I feel that is waste so they should be taxed well.

Or how about those wasteful German cars. Are all those extra gadgets needed? More possible tax from those too.

You know, why not just tax air conditioning and power windows extra? All a car needs are brakes, an accelerator and a drivers seat and a few other items such as blinkers and wipers. Any other add ons should just be taxed. Because I said so.

The nerve of all these people buying things that they like and which bring them enjoyment. With THEIR OWN MONEY! WOW! You would think with all these flashy, useless vehicles on American roads that we are all a bunch of showoff's trying to compensate for something which is either too small or missing all together.

I think dealers should be required to sell all the same brand, model, and color vehicle. Whether that vehicle is a motorcycle, sedan or (GASP!) pick-up truck will be determined by family's size and work. All housing should be torn down and replaced with box style houses with 1 room for every 2 people 1 bathroom for every 4 people and a kitchen with no more then a 2 burner stove. Can't have people cooking too much because they might get too fat to fit in the size cars I feel should be sold.

Sadly, it seems there are people who agree to all that BS I just typed.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:19 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,811,042 times
Quote:
Which, when you look at your numbers, it's saying much

Old 02-16-2014, 12:10 AM

4,000 posts, read 10,809,834 times
Quote:

Thanks again!
So what is the marketing angle towards people who drive an Audi? Does it make you feel sleek, sophisticated, and bourgeois? Your post would suggest as much. I don't think the majority buy a pickup to feel like a hero, in fact even suggesting such is a bit ludicrous. It may project an image they can relate to, much like your Audi offers you. More often than not there is a need, even if only occasional, for a pickup truck in their life.

Old 02-16-2014, 04:27 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,960,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
So what is the marketing angle towards people who drive an Audi? Does it make you feel sleek, sophisticated, and bourgeois? Your post would suggest as much. I don't think the majority buy a pickup to feel like a hero, in fact even suggesting such is a bit ludicrous. It may project an image they can relate to, much like your Audi offers you. More often than not there is a need, even if only occasional, for a pickup truck in their life.
Our friends have an Audi. Nice car for 2 people. Four people in it is a tight squeeze and uncomfortable. And since his car holds pretty much nothing, he calls me to pick up stuff for him. The car is $55,000. Driver car? And other than a race track, where does that matter? And are these people really "drivers" or do they just want to feel like one. Buying an Audi doesn't make you sleek, nor does a PU make you a hero.
A PU does make you practical. For way less than an Audi, you get 4wd, more room, more comfort, the ability to haul and tow things, and probably 15 to 20 grand left over to buy the gas needed to haul things for your non PU owning friends. And the Audi? In 99% of real world driving, a Honda Accord does just as well.
So to make things easier for us truck owners. I'll make up T-shirts that say "I hate Trucks!" for you to buy. That way we know who to say no to when you need help picking up your new mower or gas grill from Home Depot.

Old 02-16-2014, 04:54 AM

2,807 posts, read 6,404,759 times
I'm not against trucks; I only laugh about people who buy one as compensation for their micropenis. It's getting so bad that Chrysler had to start the Ram brand as a niche for normal people who actually need industrial vehicles, since the pick-up market is by dominated penis enhancements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive