Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 07:59 PM

17,619 posts, read 17,665,401 times

Advertisements

Ever notice that vehicle's people say have personality are vehicle's with flaws? Old girlfriend had a mid60s American Rambled she loved. There were two spots on the dash marked with tape. Hit one spot for headlights and hit the other spot for the original all transistor radio. To start the car, turn key 1/2 way, pull key, and turn rest of the way while kicking the gas. Screw driver to open trunk. Front door locks didn't unlock with key. I liked that the front seat folded back flat to make a bed (we were teenagers at the time).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 08:01 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,097,598 times
Every time I hear of cars with "personality" I think of British cars with a multitude of problems LOL

Old 02-12-2014, 08:05 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
German cars have egos. People tout they like cars with "German feel" it means even though it may drive really well but in reality it has lots of gremlins and issues.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:53 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,267,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Ever notice that vehicle's people say have personality are vehicle's with flaws? Old girlfriend had a mid60s American Rambled she loved. There were two spots on the dash marked with tape. Hit one spot for headlights and hit the other spot for the original all transistor radio. To start the car, turn key 1/2 way, pull key, and turn rest of the way while kicking the gas. Screw driver to open trunk. Front door locks didn't unlock with key. I liked that the front seat folded back flat to make a bed (we were teenagers at the time).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave
Was thinking about an old girlfriend whose first car was a 60s model American Nash Rambler 4 door sedan with inline 6. She loved the car saying it had character. It's character included front doors that didn't unlock from the outside so she'd lock the front doors, leave the back doors unlocked, and happily climb over to the front seat. There were two spots on the dash marked with tape. She'd pull the knob to turn on the headlights and then hit the spot with the first tape then the lights would come on. She'd turn on the factory original "all transistor radio" and hit the second spot for the radio to come on. She had the screwdriver to pop the trunk. Starting the car was an anti-theft process. Stick key in, turn key halfway, pull the key as if trying to pull it out, then turn the rest of the way while kicking the gas pedal.
Second post is from this thread from 2012.

Same poster, or just the same ex-girlfriend?

Old 02-13-2014, 09:58 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,227,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Whenever you think you need to use an apostrophe, don't. That action will make your posting correct more often than not.

My GTO sometimes starts then shuts off immediately. Two trips to the dealer under warranty for this with no problem found. Is that personality?

Old 02-13-2014, 10:00 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
I had a Saab that had lots of "personality." It was kind of like dating a mentally ill model; when everything was running right with it, it couldn't be beat, but man, the downside got to be too much to handle.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:17 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,263,285 times
My VW Bug had personality. Every winter I could choose between freezing or having heat but being subjected to exhaust gasses due to rusty heat exchanger. Float in the carb would stick so a knock with a hammer would temporarily remedy. No weight over front wheels made turning on icy intersections more interesting than a novice doing the skeleton.
BUT, it always started and as I learned to tinker with it, it would run despite doing stupid things like running on 2 cylinders. I sure did like my Corolla I got after the bug. No personality, like the "bondo bug" but it had heat and a far less "quirky" engine!!

Old 02-13-2014, 10:42 AM

19,125 posts, read 25,327,931 times
I knew a woman who bought a new Audi TT with lots of...personality.
In order to get the wipers to work, she had to pound on a specific area of the dashboard.
She was given this tip by one of the mechanics at the Audi dealership.

Not wanting to have to pound on the dashboard of her new car, she returned again & again to the dealership, in the hope that they could remedy the problem. After about 5 trips to the Audi dealer with no resolution of the problem, she just accepted that the only way to get the magnificent German electronics to function properly was..to pound on the dashboard.

I remember that she had a lot of other electrical/electronic problems with that car, but unfortunately I can't recall the exact details of that laundry list of complaints.

Like most sensible owners of German cars, she got rid of it as soon as the warranty coverage expired.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:48 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,850,028 times
Think of cars with NO personality. Cars as appliances.

Toyota Camry.

On second though - No!

Old 02-13-2014, 11:00 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,187,014 times
Alfa Romeos? Or any vintage Italian car?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive