Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 11:57 AM

79 posts, read 139,736 times

Advertisements

Will this stuff help my car?

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Sea Foam SF-16 Motor Treatment - 16 oz.

Do you just empty the whole thing into the gas tank?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 12:07 PM

44,627 posts, read 61,603,272 times
Yes, and it works too. Used the product as directed in the oil pan as well as the gas tank and it eliminated lifter noise right away. Our mechanic recommended it.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:18 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,081,106 times
I've used it in the motor to clean it out before an oil change as well as the gas tank. Never used it in the brake booster, though. That seems to get the most effect but I'm not sure if that's more of a visual thing because of the smoke. I can't say whether Seafoam has made a difference or not as I'm pretty good about maintaining my vehicle on a regular basis.

Old 02-14-2014, 03:29 PM

793 posts, read 1,419,406 times
My old car wouldn't pass smog unless I ran it through the vacuum lines.

If you do, DO NOT put the line in the bottle. You will ruin your engine.

Old 02-14-2014, 03:41 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,869,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
If you do, DO NOT put the line in the bottle. You will ruin your engine.
Why is that?

Old 02-14-2014, 03:50 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,948,582 times
Sea Foam is not a miracle liquid and will not fix problems that need a repair. The first thing to do is rule out mechanical, electrical or other problems. Engines run poorly for a number of reasons and while being "dirty" can be one of them, most often it is because the engine isn't being maintained properly.

If you change your oil on time then you'll never need Sea Foam in the crankcase. If you buy good gasoline and have the fuel system maintained properly, Sea Foam isn't needed either.

Many people think that buying some ten dollar bottle of a liquid is going to cure maintenance problems. It might solve some problems caused by lack of routine maintenance but sooner or later the problems will resurface and at some point the consequences will cost far more than the maintenance and that bottle of snake oil isn't going to help.

Old 02-14-2014, 03:57 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,869,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Sea Foam is not a miracle liquid and will not fix problems that need a repair. The first thing to do is rule out mechanical, electrical or other problems. Engines run poorly for a number of reasons and while being "dirty" can be one of them, most often it is because the engine isn't being maintained properly.

If you change your oil on time then you'll never need Sea Foam in the crankcase. If you buy good gasoline and have the fuel system maintained properly, Sea Foam isn't needed either.

Many people think that buying some ten dollar bottle of a liquid is going to cure maintenance problems. It might solve some problems caused by lack of routine maintenance but sooner or later the problems will resurface and at some point the consequences will cost far more than the maintenance and that bottle of snake oil isn't going to help.
I wouldn't go as far as calling it a bottle of snake oil, but you are right. It remedies problems that should not have been problems in the first place. However, if you're buying a used vehicle, you don't truly know the extent of care people put into their cars (usually none). Sometimes it's a great tool to have. I know my bronco's 351w LOVED the stuff, it woke her right up

Old 02-14-2014, 04:59 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,064,697 times
OP, you need to post up make, model, and year, and tell us what your performance complaint is before we can say if SeaFoam is likely to help the condition or not.

For example, if your sparkplugs are overdue for a change, no, SeaFoam is not going to do anything to help that.

But if you have a sticky hydraulic valve lifter, yeah, it might help.

With all these additives, remember that if some is good, more is not necessarily better...

Old 02-14-2014, 10:40 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speeddev1l View Post
Will this stuff help my car?

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Sea Foam SF-16 Motor Treatment - 16 oz.

Do you just empty the whole thing into the gas tank?
You can use it 3 ways.

1. Dump directly into the gas tank. You will probably need a long narrow funnel to be able to get past the metal gas cap leading into your tank. This is good for cleaning fuel injectors.

2. Dump directly into the oil crankcase. This is only recommended if you are coming up on an oil change. Do this about 100-200 miles before your next oil change. Reason being, this will take almost all of the sludge out of your engine and put it directly into your oil, that will make for some extremely dirty oil, best to change it quickly.

3. Dump directly into the vacuum line. This will be fed into the intake valve and clean out the innards of the engine. This one is a little more complicated as you have to disconnect a vacuum line, every car is different, and you have to feed it in slowly. The car may begin to rev higher and then choke and die when you dump it in, but its pure petroleum, it will not damage the car.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-15-2014, 06:05 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,790,192 times
In short, it works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive