Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 07:11 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,158,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkobe View Post
Although panned by critics, 2012 Civic was extremely popular with consumers as Honda sold 317,000 units.
So it hardly bombed. But I am glad Honda listened to the critics and made improvements for the 2013 which convinced me to buy one.
2012 models should be cheaper, too, if that's the route you take - simply because of the 2013 rush-redesign.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkobe View Post
How do dirty upholstery, under-inflated tires, non-working radio and rattling affect the long-term reliability of a vehicle?
Dirty upholstery does not, the other ones do. Reliability isn't limited to simply turning the engine over. No objections about the other ones, though? Thank G-d for at least that...
Quote:
Unless you bought a former rental or have data that backs up your biased opinion, you are just talking out of your behind.
I'm guessing you are one of those people who asks the question: "Well, you've never done drugs, how do you know they are bad for you?" Good luck with that line of reasoning.
Quote:
I do have data.... my own experience owning a former rental, which had 0 problems in the 80,000 miles I owned it. I think I'll trust my own experiences than some stranger on the net who thinks dirty upholstery and broken radio makes them unreliable.
That's not a very representative sample, is it, now? No less anecdotal than my data (possibly more so, in fact, depending on how many vehicles you've rented in your lifetime). Again, trust whomever you want - you have the right to share your opinion, backed, ostensibly, by your experience, and I have the right to share mine. I don't have a dog in this fight, nor do I care what you spend your money on. Given my experience, the last place I would buy a car is at an ex-rental car lot.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:02 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,971,215 times
So, to get back on track. you drive a lot of miles. I'd pick the one you feel most comfortable in. Most new cars, with some exceptions go a ton of miles with minimal problems IF well cared for. You're a true road warrior. The Sonata is a pretty nice car and would be my choice.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoonalt View Post
So, to get back on track. you drive a lot of miles. I'd pick the one you feel most comfortable in. Most new cars, with some exceptions go a ton of miles with minimal problems IF well cared for. You're a true road warrior. The Sonata is a pretty nice car and would be my choice.
Yeah, apologies for getting sidetracked. I am in favor of the Koreans if that 100K warranty is transferable. Otherwise, my vote is still Fusion. Or Honda Civic for the gas mileage.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:47 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post

With no stats to support your assertion, nor mine, we're left with opinions. You're free to believe your own and roll the dice (in my opinion), I'll stay happily away from purchasing rentals.

This guy does an even better job of explaining it than me. Agree with him if you want, disagree with him if you must - I really don't have a dog in this fight. I have, long ago, resolved to never buy past rentals
Don't want to belabor the sidetrack too much, but just so we're clear, I don't have an issue with not wanting to buy rental cars after careful consideration of the real benefits vs drawbacks. The article does indeed make a better case than you did. It's a reasoned piece that says it can still make sense for some but for many in the face of other choices like CPO it probably doesn't. I don't have a beef with that. I have no need to promote the idea of considering rental cars. I just think the idea is most often dismissed out of hand due to wildly exaggerated thoughts about rental car treatment.

BTW, directing this back at the thread in general, a Carfax report should (it did in a couple cases I know of) identify rental company use, and you might find that rental stamp to be the case for cars on dealer lots as well. All the cars mentioned in the OP are suspect. Just because it's at a regular dealer doesn't mean it wasn't a rental.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Don't want to belabor the sidetrack too much, but just so we're clear, I don't have an issue with not wanting to buy rental cars after careful consideration of the real benefits vs drawbacks. The article does indeed make a better case than you did.
Of course it did. The writer gets paid to do his thing and he didn't let personal experience infuse his piece, no argument there.
Quote:
BTW, directing this back at the thread in general, a Carfax report should (it did in a couple cases I know of) identify rental company use, and you might find that rental stamp to be the case for cars on dealer lots as well. All the cars mentioned in the OP are suspect. Just because it's at a regular dealer doesn't mean it wasn't a rental.
I know CarFax identifies fleet use, I'm not sure how granular it gets in terms of what kind of fleet.

Old 02-18-2014, 03:09 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,652,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
I mean, you just drove 150k or so in that 2010 Sonata, right? How did it do? You want another one?
I think this is a key question. Many people seem to be looking for a change when they buy a new car, but if you have something that's working for you why not just get another one?

Old 02-18-2014, 06:32 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I think this is a key question. Many people seem to be looking for a change when they buy a new car, but if you have something that's working for you why not just get another one?
It's only been a couple years so it might be harder to judge. Lot of miles but maybe not a lot of chance to try other cars.

Best guess is, since OP was still considering Sonata, it must not be awful. It's worth considering again. But maybe it's not so fantastic that he wouldn't consider some others.

I don't think there's any clear cut objective top choice in among these. It more comes down to preference. But since you're going for so many miles so quickly, it would be hard to argue with a repeat buy if the earlier Sonata acquitted itself well. Was the 2010 the same style as the 2013? I can't remember off the top of my head....

Looks like 2010 is the earlier design which makes the decision of repeat buy a little harder perhaps.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:01 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,058,916 times
I'd never buy a rental car either... Too many get abused and are not well cared for.

Old 02-21-2014, 03:56 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
thanks for all the feedback...

im still looking- looking on auto-trader with a search

ive found some sonatas 2013 with 25-30k miles for 13,900

the 2010 yr sonata was the last yr of the old style...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive