U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 02:09 PM

3,350 posts, read 2,749,341 times

Advertisements

I'm sure someone, somewhere, has studied U.S./Canada automobile color trends (preferences) across the decades, and published the work. And mapped results to geopolitical trends, geographic region, economic conditions, etc. And in-turn mapped that to psychological profiles and other characteristics of the buyer. Standard marketing stuff.

I, however, would like a more constrained sample size and informal survey. That being: your opinions! Facts, begone, come one/come all!

Given (assumption): your car's color matters to you, or did at time of purchase or lease. You made a specific choice, and didn't just "fall into whatever works."

My question is "why." Respond with a little about:

- Some (or all) of the car colors you've owned.
- Were those colors trendy, when the car was new? Or were they at time of purchase (if used)?
- Your thoughts on what, if anything, influenced your color decision.

Not as interesting:

"I love (color) cars only", unless you think your decision might be influenced by marketing, economics, etc.
"I think (color) cars are for the birds" --personal opinion, unless relates to previous.
"Anyone driving (color) car is a (expletive). --not very nice, OR may be a subject for other thread(s).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 02:30 PM

11,269 posts, read 12,338,508 times
I'm from Windsor, Ontraio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
My question is "why." Respond with a little about:

- Some (or all) of the car colors you've owned.
- Maroon 1989 Plymouth Sundance (used)
- Black 1992 Ford Tempo GL (used)
- Red 1995 Olds Cutlass Supreme (used)
- Dark Titanium Clearcoat 2008 Dodge Charger (new)
- White 1991 Jeep YJ Renegade (used)
- Silver 1991 Jeep YJ S (used)
- Were those colors trendy, when the car was new? Or were they at time of purchase (if used)?
- Your thoughts on what, if anything, influenced your color decision.
- I don't know about the Maroon, but it sure seemed alot of Plymouths had it back then. Didn't seem trendy in 2001 lol It was my first car, the colour didn't matter.
- The Tempo just looked good in black.
- The Cutlass looked really good in red. It had been repainted with Ferrari red, I liked it and bought it.
- The Charger had a great colour, that would change depending on angle and ambient light. I was the first in the city with it for a while.
- The White Renegade looked good, as it made the fender flares flow well with the boxy body.
- The Silver influenced my decision because it looked good with the black top, bumpers, lg tires, and chrome grill.

Not too sure I answered this correctly lol

Old 02-23-2014, 02:52 PM

3,350 posts, read 2,749,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
I'm from Windsor, Ontraio

Not too sure I answered this correctly lol
Thanks! It wasn't a quiz

Much as I'd like to think I'm "independent" in thought and dress (and car colors), we are all influenced by marketing, emotion, and etc. Was just curious if anyone else ever thought about it.

Randomly selecting twenty cars that passed on a not-too-busy road in Seattle metro this AM, I came up with something like "70% primary or metallic colors, 30% non, most foreign and the minority domestic." Point being I bet there are regional differences to some of that, too: I grew up in Birmingham, MI, not terribly far from Windsor ONT and the same simple experiment today in Detroit may yield different results.

My "why":

- Owned: Most of my cars and motorcycles have been black or gray. Only a few have been non-metallic colors. I've yet to own a blue car or bike, despite that this is my favorite color! Go figure.

- Trendy: I "think" gray was all the rage in Euro cars 5-10 years ago. A lot of Mercedes, BMW, and P-cars in-particular seem(ed) to be silver, gray, black. My P-car is gray, thus I probably bought a (used) trendy color!

- Influence: Black to me is a bit bad-boy. I see it in myself, that enjoyment of a vehicle's murdered-out look (minus the "murder" part). However, black is also the devil to keep clean, gets hot in the sun, etc.

YMMV.

Old 02-23-2014, 03:07 PM

9,684 posts, read 13,575,225 times
No black, too hot in the sun.
No white, to easy to show dirt.
Japanese silver grey is my favorite color. Takes months of driving for car to show dirt.

I am pragmatic. Also own a white car, as man has to have rules, to break them, just to philosophically regret his decsion later, as that's why rule is a rule. NOT to be broken.

Old 02-23-2014, 03:26 PM

5,350 posts, read 14,967,485 times
1985 Dodge Omni GLH (fire engine red) - Never again. Attracted too much of the wrong kind of attention
1985 Nissan Maxima SE (silver) - The car looked good, and my girlfriend had a similar car in a taupe color
1991 Nissan Maxima SE (arctic blue) - didn't really care too much about color for some reason.
1998 BMW 328 (sierra red - a beautiful burnt orange color) - unusual color. Only saw 3 others during the 5 years that I owned the car
2002 BMW M3 (le mans blue - nice royal blue) - another unusual color. Never saw another E46 with that same color and I've had the car for 10+ years

So. . . . . it seems like I'm caring more about color as I get older.

Old 02-23-2014, 03:36 PM

14,803 posts, read 16,837,929 times
I don't think i would ever buy a car that's not black, white or silver.

Old 02-23-2014, 04:18 PM

22,114 posts, read 26,421,730 times
Cars I've owned:

(All bought used)

1966 Dodge Dart GT V-8. Dark green. (Sequoia Green Metallic) Didn't love the color, but I think it looked better in dark green than it would have in light green. I had it repainted once while I owned it. Considered black but I wanted to keep it the original color.

1971 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham. Light green. Did not care for the color but it only had 58,000 miles and priced under $2,500. I did have it repainted black about one year after I bought it! The light green irritated me seeing it every day.

1976 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine. Black with a black interior and a white vinyl roof. The color was one reason I bought it, but not the #1 reason. It had relatively low miles (59,000), a straight body, good interior ran well and a rare model (only 834 built for 1976). Also had the optional rear radio controls and crushed velour back seat. The white vinyl roof is now black; I like that much better than the white roof.

1970 Cadillac Sedan de Ville. Beige, but looked like it had another color mixed in with it... didn't look completely beige. I kind of liked the color, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

1969 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham. Triple black. Yes, the color was one of the reasons I bought it. In addition to the good condition (exterior, interior, engine). Black leather seats, too.

1995 Lincoln Town Car. Gray. Not crazy about the color. Last year, I had the blah gray changed to a nice dark blue. I like that much better. Interior is gray, but very dark, almost looks black.

1966 Plymouth Fury VIP (383-4 bbl). Light yellow with black interior. Plymouth called it "soft yellow." I liked the color of this car. I don't care for yellow on large luxury cars, but it looked good on the Plymouth.

My favorite car colors are:

1. Dark blue
2. Black (see photo)
3. Maroon/burgundy

Least favorite:

1. Green
2. Brown
3. White

Old 02-23-2014, 05:25 PM

1,506 posts, read 3,139,447 times
Black, white & silver are the most popular colours.

Silver is awesome as it literally hides all the dust & dirt for a long time.

Old 02-23-2014, 05:52 PM

10,106 posts, read 13,893,484 times
Am so sick of the color of my car, Desert Beige metallic.

Next one hopefully will be a nice Pearl White such as in the Cadillac or Lincoln soft colors with tan leather interior.

Absolutely detest cars with all black interiors too, like getting into a cave.

A pure white car looks like a big refrigerator going down the road.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:30 PM

995 posts, read 1,298,664 times
I don't like most greens. I like a few shades of blue, browns, a lot of tans, bright yellow (like on my 73 Maverick), black, white, and that's about it. I also can't stand red on a car. Since I buy 40 year old cars, color isn't an influence on my purchase since I don't have that choice anymore. However any car I bought with a color I did not like was usually purchased as a parts car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or