Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2014, 12:06 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,097,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingen View Post
People mention the Cimarron and the Corvair because they run out of proper arguments when discussing GM`s quality. Mentioning a car built decades ago - and built to conform with the standards of the time they were built - tells me they haven`t tried anything built lately. Compare the Citation with a 80s VW or Subaru.
You've got to be kidding me. Even on GM's flagship car the Corvette, there have been quality problems galore. Here's one my friend got to experience for himself... in addition to all the usual electrical gremlins, switchgear, etc.

Took GM to court over dropped valve, and.... - Corvette Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 12:16 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,625,817 times
I guess I am biased by looking at the past- I had a 1998 Cavalier that I bought new that year. Within the first 3 months it was leaking oil. I had gaskets replaced a couple of times throughout the ten years I had the car- it always had one type of fluid leak or another. Really was just garbage even when it was new. Same was true for the 2004 Cavalier my brother bought. Never again will I buy a GM. Maybe their new vehicles are better, who knows, but I am not willing to give them another chance.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:22 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,290,693 times
So basically what I'm hearing is that cars built 3 decades ago are indicative of cars built today, but ONLY when talking about GM. and that my two GM cars are POS that only an idiot would buy, right? (thus I must be an idiot for buying them because the rest of you are so superior).

Old 03-26-2014, 12:52 PM

17,619 posts, read 17,656,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
So basically what I'm hearing is that cars built 3 decades ago are indicative of cars built today, but ONLY when talking about GM. and that my two GM cars are POS that only an idiot would buy, right? (thus I must be an idiot for buying them because the rest of you are so superior).
No, what you're reading is more than three decades of poor quality from the same company right up to today. The Vega oil leak was one of many problems of the 70s. The Citation, Cadillac Cavalier that over heated from too small a cooling system, and the Olds diesel engine were some of the many quality issues of the 80s. The leaking intake gaskets on V6 engines, failing anti-theft system, and warping brake rotors were some of the problems of the mid90s to early 2000. The most recent and most life threatening problem started in 2001, realized and solution found in 2004, but the solution wasn't put into production, and no recall made for ten years after more than 20 confirmed deaths from the defect. It's a history of not only poor quality, but of corporate denying the problem publicly as well as refusing to make product changes to fix the known problem. I too was once loyal to GM and believed in their quality. Then I drove my future wife's 1996 Mazda Protege in 2005 and it was of better quality than my 2003 Chevy Malibu. We rented a 4 cylinder Altima which was faster and more fuel efficient than my V6 Malibu, smoother ride, and much better interior quality. Even the previous generation Corolla felt better than my Malibu.

Old 03-26-2014, 01:17 PM

401 posts, read 534,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
You've got to be kidding me. Even on GM's flagship car the Corvette, there have been quality problems galore. Here's one my friend got to experience for himself... in addition to all the usual electrical gremlins, switchgear, etc.

Took GM to court over dropped valve, and.... - Corvette Forum
I have had dozens of Corvettes - and zero problems - ZERO. Right now I own a 84 C4. Everything works - it drives nice - and is actually good on gas.

I have had Pontiacs, Chevys, Cadillacs, Buicks and Oldsmobiles. They were all good cars with few problems.
Sturdy cars of good quality - but I have steered away from the Cavaliers and Citations - I am - after all a car person, and I buy the cars I know GM build best.

Instead of being negative: look at the Camaros, GTO`s, Trans Am`s, Eldorado or Riviera`s. Look at today`s CTS, Silverado`s or even a Malibu. Good looking cars.

The car I had with the most problems was a brand new BMW. POS. The brand new Mercedes E-class we bought right after that was OK, but expensive repairs - and it had problems too. Tried Honda too - didn`t impress me.

Right now are daily drivers are newer Mopars - they are excelllent. Absolutely no problems.

IMO, nobody has ever beat GM`s design dept. Even the Citation was a good looking car. Compared to any Subaru the Citation looks like a champ.

Old 03-26-2014, 01:37 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,097,598 times
Quote:
I have had dozens of Corvettes - and zero problems - ZERO. Right now I own a 84 C4. Everything works - it drives nice - and is actually good on gas.

I have had Pontiacs, Chevys, Cadillacs, Buicks and Oldsmobiles. They were all good cars with few problems.
Sturdy cars of good quality - but I have steered away from the Cavaliers and Citations - I am - after all a car person, and I buy the cars I know GM build best.

Instead of being negative: look at the Camaros, GTO`s, Trans Am`s, Eldorado or Riviera`s. Look at today`s CTS, Silverado`s or even a Malibu. Good looking cars.

The car I had with the most problems was a brand new BMW. POS. The brand new Mercedes E-class we bought right after that was OK, but expensive repairs - and it had problems too. Tried Honda too - didn`t impress me.

Right now are daily drivers are newer Mopars - they are excelllent. Absolutely no problems.

IMO, nobody has ever beat GM`s design dept. Even the Citation was a good looking car. Compared to any Subaru the Citation looks like a champ.
You've never had an issue with the digital dash eh? That's hard to believe. I know plenty that have had the digital dash go out, there's a whole aftermarket that sprang up just to fix them.

I'm not being negative about GM products. It's being truthful. However, some people just seem to stick their heads in the sand whenever their favorite brand of car gets knocked for some design flaw, defect, or problem.

These days I'm primarily a Porsche guy... but that doesn't stop me from acknowledging their shortcomings. Some of them are pretty damn stupid, like plastic coolant pipes on my Cayenne, which are mounted right above the starter, so when they crack (and it's when, not if) they take out the starter too and it costs thousands to repair.

All because some bean counter at Porsche thought they could save a few bucks by going with plastic instead of aluminum.

Getting back to point, if you've NEVER had any problems with your Corvettes then you must have either owned very early models, and none of the C5 and up models. Or you've had a C7, which is too new to develop any problems yet.

Old 03-26-2014, 01:46 PM

401 posts, read 534,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
You've never had an issue with the digital dash eh? That's hard to believe. I know plenty that have had the digital dash go out, there's a whole aftermarket that sprang up just to fix them.

I'm not being negative about GM products. It's being truthful. However, some people just seem to stick their heads in the sand whenever their favorite brand of car gets knocked for some design flaw, defect, or problem.

These days I'm primarily a Porsche guy... but that doesn't stop me from acknowledging their shortcomings. Some of them are pretty damn stupid, like plastic coolant pipes on my Cayenne, which are mounted right above the starter, so when they crack (and it's when, not if) they take out the starter too and it costs thousands to repair.

All because some bean counter at Porsche thought they could save a few bucks by going with plastic instead of aluminum.

Getting back to point, if you've NEVER had any problems with your Corvettes then you must have either owned very early models, and none of the C5 and up models. Or you've had a C7, which is too new to develop any problems yet.
I try to buy Corvettes with low miles - the ones owned by old farts that maintain them..not the ones beat up by kids. The one I have now has the digital dash - it works - but it is not my favorite. But it was very chic back in the 80s..I put on a tape with Pat Banatar - and off I go !!

Old 03-26-2014, 02:25 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,588,852 times
Quote:

I have owned a cavalier, corsica, celebrity, pontiac grand am and currently my 1997 tahoe. I sold my 1997 grand am with 149,000 on it last august. I paid $800 for it and put 50k+ miles on it and owned it about 6 years. I put a trans in it right away because the last owner never changed the fluid once. I put a used trans in with 36k on it and drove it 50k+ miles. I only sold it because I needed a truck.

Cavaliers are good if they have the 2.4 DOHC engine in them like my grand am had those motors are STRONG! I drove doing 80+ mph on the highway will the oil pouring out of the sending unit without knowing it. Got to my destination and checked the dipstick almost bone dry of oil. Drove the thing 50k+ more miles without any issues. Sold it for $1,200 on Craigslist still running fine.

Any car/truck will last as long as you change the fluids and maintain them properly. Most people forget to do the trans fluid. I'm a mechanic so I take excellent care of my vehicles and they all last a long time.

Old 03-26-2014, 03:12 PM

17,619 posts, read 17,656,125 times
Quote:

GM makes good looking bodies. Even Jeremy Clarkson admits GM builds nice looking cars. I love the styling of the Vega but wouldn't have owned one without replacing that engine which leaks oil horribly. I had an 8 year old Camaro as a first car that had been side swiped. Because of this, I write off all it's problems as having to do with age and the accident. Second car was a 4 year old Skyhawk with 4 speed manual. Rear shock on driver's side went into the trunk requiring some welding repair. I burned up the clutch but that could be written off with learning how to drive stick. I enjoyed my 94 Cavalier with 2.2L engine. Only proble I had was transmission lock up solenoid violently shutting down the engine. Cheap repair. My 2003 Malibu has been trouble. I was disappointed to have missed out on the class action suit by two months. I was angry upon finding out GM knew about the plastic intake gasket leak problem for about a decade and did nothing to correct the problem. That, along with other defects in my Chevy, have soured me towards GM. This latest scandal is just another reason to not trust them again. I test drove the Cruze and think this is the best Compact sedan GM has sold here in USA. Today's buicks are the best made in decades. Cadillac is getting on top of their game. But I still won't buy GM because I do not trust their administrators to be willing to fix problems with their vehicles as they are found, both on vehicles already on the road and those as yet to be built.

Old 03-26-2014, 03:48 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
My last post for you kid. I have no basis on my opinion of GM? Are you slow? All I owned was GM vehicles so my opinions on GM quality is misguided? wow ok I know the quality of GM that's why I keep buying them moron. You on the other hand have never step foot in a GM car that's obvious.

I could care less if a few people THINK I'm a "blind loyalist" that's a given from foreign car owners. If you want to talk "blind loyalist" that is foreign car owners. They believe in the myth that foreign cars are more reliable and buy based on that rumor not based on their own findings...and that is as blind as you can get.
You have said multiple times the only brand you have owned is GM. How do you know there isn't anything better? You don't - that's the answer. Your standard of excellence is not set very high. But GM meets it. Good for you.

Do you eat the same brand of cereal that you ate when you were 8 years old?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive