Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 11:51 AM

90 posts, read 187,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Because if you are an American born citizen raised in the most free society in the world and employed by a company that sells to Americans, your job depends on it. Plus it is your duty to support other American workers.

If your trying to market your companies services to Americans it's hypocritical for you to support foreign workers .
If you want to buy a foreign car that's OK as long as it's manufactured here in the USA.

If your a recent immigrant coming to America to work cheap in place of a laid off American you should also be buying American thankful that your still not living in some ghetto back in your country.

Americans should also be buying only made in America furniture because Americans were paid to build it.
You should also be buying American made clothes if you can find any (good luck with that)

Yes, Yes, I know most people are trying to get the most out of their dollar but when you support foreign workers you also now have to support unemployed Americans who were laid off because you bought foreign.

Yes , I also know that people on welfare are lazy do nothings but I also know that there was a time when they were employed doing menial tasks that most other American would not do because they were to good for manual labor.Those jobs are now in China, but hey it's a global economy and how's that working out for many Americans?

So if American cars and products are not good enough for you and cheaper foreign products are better perhaps American manufactures should bring over better foreign workers who can build it better and cheaper.

OMG, they're already doing that. That foreign family of ten that just moved into your laid off neighbor's home is here doing it cheaper.

BTW if only a BMW will do, buy one made in South Carolina.
Ah, complete arrogance. A lot import car companies such as Toyota, Kia, Hyundai, and Nissan these days are assembled and/or manufactured in America.

Last edited by JJ270; 03-14-2014 at 12:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 02:05 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Some people paid the price of buying American with their lives with the Cobalt ignition and power shutoff issue.

There are better import cars than the Cobalt. I certainly wouldn't go near any US auto especially GM after this fiasco. Wonder what other US cars are affected.

Old 03-14-2014, 02:22 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Some people paid the price of buying American with their lives with the Cobalt ignition and power shutoff issue.
Some people paid the price of buying Japanese with their lives with the Toyota accelerator issue.

Suggesting that isolated instances of specific manufacturing defects are representative of a broad range of makes based on the location of their corporate headquarters is short-sighted and overtly predjudicial.

I've personally driven domestic makes for 30 years and several hundred thousand miles and I'm still alive. Others can say the same about imports.

What say we either stick to something relevant to the broader discussion or kill the thread?

Old 03-14-2014, 02:34 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,586,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

There are better import cars than the Cobalt. I certainly wouldn't go near any US auto especially GM after this fiasco. Wonder what other US cars are affected.
Just like Toyota with the stuck gas pedals that killed 34 people. All manufacturers have issues once in a blue moon just like any company out there.

Old 03-14-2014, 02:36 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,586,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Some people paid the price of buying Japanese with their lives with the Toyota accelerator issue.

Suggesting that isolated instances of specific manufacturing defects are representative of a broad range of makes based on the location of their corporate headquarters is short-sighted and overtly predjudicial.

I've personally driven domestic makes for 30 years and several hundred thousand miles and I'm still alive. Others can say the same about imports.

What say we either stick to something relevant to the broader discussion or kill the thread?
Beat me to it lol

Old 03-14-2014, 03:11 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
Just like Toyota with the stuck gas pedals that killed 34 people. All manufacturers have issues once in a blue moon just like any company out there.
That's just the people who were IN the Toyotas, there were others killed when a runaway Toyota slammed into them.

Old 03-14-2014, 03:15 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,494,654 times
Quote:
Although worst case scenerio all you need to do is knock the shifter to neutral to "save your life" in Toyotas case. Nothing the driver could have done in Chevys case that killed over 300 people and counting.

Old 03-14-2014, 03:16 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,494,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
That's just the people who were IN the Toyotas, there were others killed when a runaway Toyota slammed into them.
Wrong DOT/NHTSAnumbers always include "deaths contributed to".

Old 03-14-2014, 03:27 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,211,652 times
Default Engineered to last to ?

... but no longer. I play a game when I am stopped in traffic at a light. Without turning my head, I wind my window down, and listen to the car beside me. If I can hear it whine, rumble and rattle, nine times out of ten, its a GM product. When I bike around, the only cars that sneak up on me are the Japanese models.

Sound is friction. Friction is heat. Heat degrades your vehicle.

I remember my father as a shade tree mechanic constantly working on his Chevies. Once, I as a child, took the butterfly valve from the carb he was working on and broke the powder cast metal into pieces in my hand. And later, the sunshade arm snapped off under its own weight and hit me in the face. Again cast metal. I owned a '56 Chevy, that if I parked it up-hill, the fluids from that car would beat me to where I was walking.

I have bought Toyota and Honda and never looked back.

The door swings both ways. Garbage in-garbage out. At some point, the lack of quality just wears you down.

Old 03-14-2014, 03:38 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
GM had more than ten years with the current problem, and new data claims 303 deaths. The more cars you sell with life threatening defects, the more people die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive