Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 04:41 PM

9,611 posts, read 21,140,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
Wrong DOT/NHTSAnumbers always include "deaths contributed to".
.....and this article says the number is 89, not 34.

It could be because there were three separate issues investigated: ETC, floor mat displacement, and brakes. It could be that 34 deaths resulted from one of the issues and that the death toll from the total of all three issues is 89. I just don't know.

And the number really isn't relevant to my point anyway, that being that the specific issues of a particular make don't reflect on the manufacturers in that group as a whole. Toyota's problems didn't affect Honda buyers, and Chevrolet's problems didn't affect Ford buyers. It's not a "badge origin" issue at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 05:12 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,467,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
.....and this article says the number is 89, not 34.

It could be because there were three separate issues investigated: ETC, floor mat displacement, and brakes. It could be that 34 deaths resulted from one of the issues and that the death toll from the total of all three issues is 89. I just don't know.

And the number really isn't relevant to my point anyway, that being that the specific issues of a particular make don't reflect on the manufacturers in that group as a whole. Toyota's problems didn't affect Honda buyers, and Chevrolet's problems didn't affect Ford buyers. It's not a "badge origin" issue at all.
Easy 89 the oldest number.. an unofficial number.. the official number after investigation was 34.

GM latest.. still over 300 and climbing.

Old 03-15-2014, 05:22 AM

16,086 posts, read 10,242,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
I said I see a ton a riced out hondas which i do I'm sorry that bothers you and some others. It's no secret that kids love to rice those cars out. Like I said the movies fast and furious set a trend to modify those cars.

And yes I notice all the gm trucks suvs and cars when I look up and see these hondas gm cars and trucks are everywhere
No Eddie what you said was most Hondas you see are riced out. Which is probably the dumbest thing I will read all weekend. At least I hope it is.

Old 03-15-2014, 08:32 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,209,527 times
Even where I live in So Cal 80% of the imports I see are just commuters. The riced out imports are usually young kids. I never see older guys past their 20s in those cars. But truthfully it's no different than what American kids did to their cars in the 50s 60s 70s 80s 90s and now.

Part of the reason kids drove imports is because they were just more appealing to them. The aftermarket embraced the vehicles with body kits, performance parts and interior parts. When you have a company and you're selling 5-1 ratio of import vs domestic applications where are you going to focus your energy?

Old 03-15-2014, 11:15 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,551,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
No Eddie what you said was most Hondas you see are riced out. Which is probably the dumbest thing I will read all weekend. At least I hope it is.
Yep MOST that I SEE... ricers are everywhere and like I said I've been all over the tri state area. Those econoboxes are cheap and cheap to modify that's why they buy these cars. I don't care either way if most are commuter cars or most are ricers they both don't appeal to me in any way shape or form same with most foreign cars.

Old 03-15-2014, 01:10 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,692,009 times
PDD you made some good points. The problem is, not much is made in America anymore. I wished we didn't have to buy from China.....or Mexico....or Japan...I wished you could still buy a TV set that was 100% made in the U.S.A. with quality in mind....but such is not the case.

So it seems at some point, in the midst of eating more food, driving vehicles that use more fuel and using appliances that consume more electricity, Americans decided they wanted their goods cheaper....and so in the quest for this, someone figured that in China, they'll build the same product for less than what the American will do it for, because a dollar an hour to them is 25 cents an hour to us, and they'll even build it as cheap as you want it to be.

So what happens next is goods are now mass produced overseas, the overseas builder is making money, the foreman behind it is really banking large, and we the people get shafted with a product that might get you 5 years worth of use out of before it ****s the bed, and that's usually right after the warranty runs out. Coincidence?

What is more, is to repair said item costs nearly as much as a new like item costs, so there you go, you gotta go buy another one, putting even more $ in the foremans pocket, who smiles when he knows you'll be back to buy a new one in another 5 years when your second one/replacement finally ****s the bed.

Welcome to America. Land of the greed, home of the junk.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:57 PM

1,618 posts, read 2,605,767 times
You know, I can't get past the OP's initial question. Specifically how it's worded is very telling. It's not "Why we should buy American made autos." It's "Why YOU should buy American made autos." Presumably while the OP goes and buys something else.

Old 03-17-2014, 02:09 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,601,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
it is your duty to support other American workers.
no... it isn't.

i would buy vehicles from "american" manufacturers if i thought they lasted as long as hondas and toyotas.

Old 03-17-2014, 02:16 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,601,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
For a company to use the patriot card I would say that it had lost the plot in terms of actually producing a good quality, reliable product that stood up to scrutiny on its own merits.
amen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive