Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 10:57 AM

78 posts, read 125,665 times

Advertisements

I went to get a second opinion ( this time I had brought a guy-friend along), and they didint find anything wrong with my transmission... The previous mechanic said it had a leak. Now, who should I trust ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 11:01 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,163,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxie2519 View Post
I went to get a second opinion ( this time I had brought a guy-friend along), and they didint find anything wrong with my transmission... The previous mechanic said it had a leak. Now, who should I trust ?
Go to a third - with your friend; don't tell them what you think is wrong with the car, just what the symptoms are.

Mostly, I have found that mechanics will tell women "almost-anything" and then when they are with a guy, the truth comes out. I think it is more than likely because if someone said I had a leak, I would grab a rag and say "show me where."

Old 03-08-2014, 11:11 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,855,132 times
Quote:
Seems like the first post is missing, so ...

Why did you go for the first opinion to have your transmission checked ?

We are now only discussing the way you get your opinions from the the people who checked it.
Maybe we can help here when you tell us why you needed to have it checked ?

Old 03-08-2014, 02:24 PM

I initially went to my dealer for a free oil change. They automatically do a general inspection of my car everytime I go there, because it is free they say. So they came back with all this issues ... Transmission leaking and rear brakes need to be changed . The second place said that my brakes do need to be changed but the transmission ain't leaking ... So I'm gonna go get the brakes for auto zone for $80 and go back to have them installed ... I'm just mad that men find women inferior. They should pass some laws or something. This people shouldn't be allowed to trick women just to make extra bucks. It has to be fair

Old 03-08-2014, 02:27 PM

I mean I've almost believed them because this cars are known for transmission failure/defects... I have a pontiac g6,2006. I'm the second owner and the car looked in great condition when I've bought it ...

Old 03-08-2014, 02:29 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,426,535 times
There are already laws against scamming people, roxie. Don't need special ones for women. If I went into the shop knowing aboslutly nothing about cars, they'd do the same to me.

The best thing you can do for yourself is to learn some basics on cars.

Old 03-08-2014, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
There are already laws against scamming people, roxie. Don't need special ones for women. If I went into the shop knowing aboslutly nothing about cars, they'd do the same to me.

The best thing you can do for yourself is to learn some basics on cars.
I'm just saying that the state should give out harsher punishments. Like they could close down their business for few weeks or months...

Old 03-08-2014, 05:11 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,426,535 times
Quote:
I'm just saying that the state should give out harsher punishments. Like they could close down their business for few weeks or months...
If they scam anyone? Yes. Just women? No.

Old 03-08-2014, 05:15 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,429,204 times
The dealership did this to me when I took DH Sonata in for its 'free' oil change. They gave me a form with lots of stuff that should be either done or looked at, took it home to DH and he put it in the trash. Its a way for dealers to make a bit extra for having to offer you a free oil change.
In your position I would ask my male friend to take the car to an independent garage and see what they say, if they say the brakes need replacing I would have it done there not at the original garage. Make sure you mention this to the original garage when you take your vehicle in for its next "free" oil change.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
If they scam anyone? Yes. Just women? No.
If they scam anyone , but mostly women
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive