Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Truck Would You Pick?
GMC 7 11.86%
Chev. 5 8.47%
Dodge Ram 14 23.73%
Ford 18 30.51%
Another Brand 16 27.12%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 06:29 AM

29,444 posts, read 14,623,440 times

Advertisements

I know there is a huge following for the Tundra out there, did they ever get the frame issues solved ?
When I see Tundra's I see more of an offroad type truck vs a tow vehicle. The styling on them is pretty cool , I'll give it that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
that truck might have had a bit of custom work done to it.

to the OP, any of the trucks you are thinking about will handle the job nicely. fuel economy will be similar across the board, as will towing performance. you just want to remember the basics of buying a truck;

1: buy only as much truck as you need for the job

2: buy the best truck you can afford regardless of brand

i prefer the ford F250, but if you find a good dodge or chevy/gmc 3/4 ton truck that fits the bill, then go for it.

I disagree with number 1 , when towing. You really want overkill when towing, the most power, the most braking , the most stability you can get.
Just my opinion ..

Old 03-13-2014, 09:41 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,885,624 times
Correcto.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:45 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,494,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
Correcto.
Are you a moron?? Its no secret Toyota does not make a one ton 16k+lb tower. The OP is asking about towing a very lightweight (8klb) 5th wheel, not a 16k+lb tri axle... great job though captian douch.. I mean obvious...

Old 03-13-2014, 09:50 AM

8k lb isn't all that light when you factor in wind, hills, traffic etc...

Old 03-13-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
You dont have to tell me.. Ive pulled 10k through the biggest hills in N.A... in a Tundra no less. No problem in that.. In an eco boost F150, not so much fun comparitively... compared to that tri axle an 8-9klb 5er sure is lightweight.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:00 AM

25,557 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
That's actually a pretty good comment. I drove an 18 wheeler 750,000 miles and the worst driving conditions were windy. There was the snow and ice, too, but RVers don't usually go out in that stuff.

And hills! You know those trucks you see in the right hand lane going 15 MPH up the hill? That's us going as fast as we can. Typically, that's 400 HP pulling 75-80,000 pounds.

And an RVer driving a truck with brakes that are too small and have faded is more likely to use the runaway ramp that an 18 wheeler with air brakes.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
The Toyota dealer told me that Tundra cann't haul a 5th wheel camper but can pull a Travel Trailer. Tundra has great pulling power.

Nissan Titan truck cann't haul a 5th camper but can pull a Travel Trailer the dealer has told me.
Wrong... theres plenty of people pulling 5ers with both. You might need to check out some towing forums where yoj come across many more people with relivent experience. I would never do it in Nissan though. The obsolute worst towers out of all the 1/2tons, compared to the Tundra which is the best tower in the 1/2 ton class. That is from someone that has approached the million mile mark towing 7-10k lbs ina mix of every half ton made across the biggest hills in N.A.

The Nissan is so bad that Ive pulled the same 8k lb trailer with a Porsche Cayenne back to back with the Titan and the Nissan was completely scary compared to the "performance SUV". And its not much that can be helped. All the scariness is in the chassis.

The Tundra from the drivers seat is as good to tow with as any other gas 3/4 just as long as you watch your CGVW. Which I never had a problem with traveling alone, besides lots of luggage and a dirt bike and keeping the load just under 10k lbs at the time.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
You dont have to tell me.. Ive pulled 10k through the biggest hills in N.A... in a Tundra no less. No problem in that.. In an eco boost F150, not so much fun comparitively... compared to that tri axle an 8-9klb 5er sure is lightweight.
Well I'm impressed or your definition of towing is quite different from mine. I, on a regular basis pulled #7500 ish in the summer (boat) and in the winter (4 place enclosed snowmobile trailer) with a tuned up '01 Dodge Ram /Cummins and I definitely could tell that weight was back there. It wasn't a problem but I for sure knew it was there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
That's actually a pretty good comment. I drove an 18 wheeler 750,000 miles and the worst driving conditions were windy. There was the snow and ice, too, but RVers don't usually go out in that stuff.

And hills! You know those trucks you see in the right hand lane going 15 MPH up the hill? That's us going as fast as we can. Typically, that's 400 HP pulling 75-80,000 pounds.

And an RVer driving a truck with brakes that are too small and have faded is more likely to use the runaway ramp that an 18 wheeler with air brakes.
Most of my towing has been in the middle of winter driving thru northern MI, so I learned early on to have WAY more of everything than you really need. You need power to pull an #8k trailer out of a sway (brakes don't always help) due to wind , snow , ice.. don't think an Eco boost or any gasser will do that.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Well I'm impressed or your definition of towing is quite different from mine. I, on a regular basis pulled #7500 ish in the summer (boat) and in the winter (4 place enclosed snowmobile trailer) with a tuned up '01 Dodge Ram /Cummins and I definitely could tell that weight was back there. It wasn't a problem but I for sure knew it was there.

Most of my towing has been in the middle of winter driving thru northern MI, so I learned early on to have WAY more of everything than you really need. You need power to pull an #8k trailer out of a sway (brakes don't always help) due to wind , snow , ice.. don't think an Eco boost or any gasser will do that.

An eco boost or a Tundra certainly do have enough power to "pull out of a sway". The eco boost does not have anywhere near the braking ability the Tundra has loaded though. Just as in anything else theres not much detrement from going twice as big as a hammer than you need. But its certainly not mandatory if youre not an idiot and you KNOW YOUR equipment and load.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive