Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How fast?
55-60 4 2.38%
60-70 11 6.55%
70-80 86 51.19%
90-100 25 14.88%
100+ 42 25.00%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 09:00 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,677,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cats234 View Post
I meant open as in me being the only car on the road haha
Good, these people around me are nuts. I open my car up from time to time and have a blast (I've gone 140mph as my max so far, but I'm saving that speed for the track...definitely don't want to get a speeding ticket going that fast). The part that still is annoying is when cars try to race me. I had a Grand Prix trying to race me and I just had to laugh.

I generally drive the speed limit now and just enjoy my car, I open it up a few times here and there but not like I use to. I notice many older people with fast cars drive in a similar fashion. I think it comes with a little respect for the car and the people around you. It's similar to being built, you don't go bullying people around, but if you are in a situation when you need to use your might you can and it's no sweat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 09:59 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,687,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post
Remember, the faster your speed, the actual time advantage is exponentially diminished.
Huh?

Old 03-20-2014, 07:54 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,133,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I read your thread. Unbelievable. I've never had an experience like that. That guy really piled it on. I've heard that they go hard on people with radar detectors. I was very lucky time I got pulled over -- for 79 in a 55. The cop couldn't have been nicer, and he wrote down 65 mph on my ticket.
Unfortunately, Some NJ traffic cops really love draining off all your hard earned money . My dad was caught doing 45 in a 30 zone around midnight in another town, and ended up paying a $400 fine at court. This was 0.15 miles from where the 45 mph zone began. My friend was pulled over by an undercover female cop in south Jersey for doing 52 in a 40 zone and then bashed with a $290 fine. I saw people being pulled over for doing ~75 in a 65 zone along interstates, and that's a $250 fine due to safe corridor violations imposed by the State of NJ. Just telling you to watch your speed in NJ.

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 03-20-2014 at 08:03 AM..

Old 03-20-2014, 07:17 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,881,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Unfortunately, Some NJ traffic cops really love draining off all your hard earned money . My dad was caught doing 45 in a 30 zone around midnight in another town, and ended up paying a $400 fine at court. This was 0.15 miles from where the 45 mph zone began. My friend was pulled over by an undercover female cop in south Jersey for doing 52 in a 40 zone and then bashed with a $290 fine. I saw people being pulled over for doing ~75 in a 65 zone along interstates, and that's a $250 fine due to safe corridor violations imposed by the State of NJ. Just telling you to watch your speed in NJ.
The big bad man in blue and his ticket book don't scare me. I will surely speed in New Jersey when the opportunity presents itself, just as I have many times in the past.

The cop probably slammed you harder because you groveled too much. You're better off keeping a stiff upper lip when you deal with those guys, and being mildly respectful but not obsequious.

Old 03-21-2014, 03:06 PM

2,866 posts, read 3,611,050 times
I stay within 5 mph of speed limit taking into consideration road conditions. I use cruise control most of the time. No speed limit would mean whatever is safe depending on conditions.

Old 03-22-2014, 08:34 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,133,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
The big bad man in blue and his ticket book don't scare me. I will surely speed in New Jersey when the opportunity presents itself, just as I have many times in the past.

The cop probably slammed you harder because you groveled too much. You're better off keeping a stiff upper lip when you deal with those guys, and being mildly respectful but not obsequious.
Dont know how it works in CT, but if I am caught speeding outside NJ all traffic violations are worth 2 points .

State of New Jersey - Motor Vehicle Commission

Old 03-22-2014, 09:54 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,881,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Dont know how it works in CT, but if I am caught speeding outside NJ all traffic violations are worth 2 points .

State of New Jersey - Motor Vehicle Commission
My last speeding ticket was in New York, and it didn't show up on my license. That was a nice little bonus.

I've had points on my license several times in the past, and it's not that big a deal, as long as you don't get too many in too short a period of time, and don't need to switch insurance companies before they come off.

I got lucky with this last ticket, because I did in fact switch insurance companies earlier this year. When they ran the check, my driving record was clean as a whistle....

Old 03-22-2014, 10:40 PM

774 posts, read 1,159,774 times
Back in 1991 I ran up to about 130 in a '91 Lexus LS 400 while going through Oklahoma. It was just like in the old Lexus commercials with the champagne glasses stacked on the hood of a Lexus running the motor at high-rpm...incredibly smooth with no hint of vibration at all. And very quiet, too. It was so smooth that Dad slept right through that part of the trip.

Old 03-22-2014, 11:46 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,942,023 times
Ahhh sooo traffic sooo terruble on I95 to st simon today to pic up # 1 son...i try not to drive too fass w yung man in car seat..others onda load mad because maybe i no go fast enuff..one driva even pull up besi me and show me his finga...my son ask me what strange man is pointing at...i show son how to make sign w finga..as i pull up besi driva and swerve rike im texting letta home to mother.. i see panic rook on drivas face..then he get grimpse of 5 yr old giving him finga...so i guess road rage learn behavior rike hate hmmmm....¿¿

Old 03-24-2014, 05:09 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,092,385 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post
Remember, the faster your speed, the actual time advantage is exponentially diminished.
Huh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Huh?
If the speed limit is 45 mph, and you have a hundred mile trip, then going an extra 5 mph will save you about 13 minutes. But if the speed limit is 75, over the same distance, then going an extra 5 mph will only save you 5 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive