Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2016, 10:45 AM

6,909 posts, read 7,638,556 times

Advertisements

What about in this situation where there is double yellow and also a white line due to approaching barrier going west and you want to make left turn going east.

https://goo.gl/maps/SWhD43xDGsr
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 12:32 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,027,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDrenter223 View Post
Aren't double yellow lines to be thought of as walls?
That's a double-double yellow line.

Old 06-19-2016, 01:27 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,283,562 times
It's legal to my eyes as long as a cop isn't around

Old 06-24-2016, 11:08 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,087,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
It's legal to my eyes as long as a cop isn't around

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V_E_Jnyhks

Old 06-24-2016, 11:28 AM

2,753 posts, read 3,283,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Haha!

Old 06-24-2016, 12:56 PM

7,138 posts, read 10,979,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
What about in this situation where there is double yellow and also a white line due to approaching barrier going west and you want to make left turn going east.

https://goo.gl/maps/SWhD43xDGsr
If you are talking about making a left turn into the gas station, I believe that would be legal, if you drive past the hashmark lines. Unless the province of Manitoba has some special law against it. I would try to avoid crossing that gore point for any reason though.

Old 12-21-2016, 05:18 PM

1 posts, read 4,072 times
Default Left Turns over double yellow lines

I spent some researching this because of running across a situation, whereby, I found myself stuck behind people turning over a double yellow line from the left turn lane right at the traffic light into a Wendy's in Boone, NC. What I found was that it is considered legal to make a left turn over a double yellow line into a drive, ally or store entrance, however, as long as you can do so safely and NOTE: without impeding or obstructing traffic.

In my case, the Wendy's drive entrance was right on the corner of the intersection across 2 double yellow lines of 2 lanes of oncoming traffic from the left turn lane. Also, unlikely the person trying to make the left turn from the left turn lane at the light realized when we get the green turn arrow to go, the right turn lane of the cross traffic gets a green arrow also to turn right. Obviously, this makes the person trying to make the left turn into Wendy's unable to do so, due to to the constant flow of cars turning right.
Mean while, everyone is held up from making the left turn light because of this person insisting on a left turn against the on ongoing traffic turning right.
So I honk to encourage the driver to continue through the left turn light and let us all make our left turn.

But no! They insist on making the left turn edging forward and stopping as cars turning right continued.
Finally the driver was able to make the turn just as the left turn light turns red and none of us made the left turn signal.
This is a perfect example of illegal left hand turn over a double yellow line. Also, a perfect example of being inconsiderate and indifferent to others on the road.

The LAW is left turns over double yellow lines are permissible IF they can be done safely and without impeding traffic.

Old 12-23-2016, 04:19 AM

1 posts, read 4,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teresainstructor View Post
Sounds like everybody wants to make up their own rules LOL. You can not not not cross a double yellow line. Ever no matter what God
Man, I hope you're not a real driving instructor. You're talking out of your butt too. Yes, you can when turning into somewhere.

The confusion is you cannot if it's TWO SETS of double yellow lines then that becomes a barrier/wall. But if it's just ONE SET of double yellow line, like the OP's example, you can turn left.

In the OP's example, you cannot cut across turn left into the gas station once you come across the front of the light, that's where it becomes a complete barrier. Before that point, it's okay, as long as it's safe to do so and you don't impede traffic.

It's kind of shocking many people are confused about this because we all just instantly assume two solid lines means wall, but for turning left into a business/parking is perfectly legal.

To be honest, I was not 100% confident myself because everyone gives their bs opinions and answers. But it's right there in the DMV handbook...

http://www.cal-driver-ed.com/dmv-handbook/21.htm

You can turn left into somewhere. What's forbidden is crossing it just to pass someone.

I had to register here just to end all this confusion.

Last edited by RadarPrince; 12-23-2016 at 04:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive