Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 07:25 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times

Advertisements

Pickups today are pretty much like regular cars with the benefit of having a bed on back to carry stuff. My one Son has a Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab and it is as comfortable inside as my Caddy, has a full back seat, and really comes in handy when we want to tow something or haul something. We've taken long trips in it and were as comfortable as we would have been in any car.

One thing I don't get though is why some people buy 4 wheel drives when they will never need or use it. We live in Florida, no snow ever, and I still see a lot of 4wd pickups. I realize some people MAY go off roading or live on a sandy road, but most of these things will never leave the pavement. With a 4wd there are more moving parts to wear out and less gas mileage, so not sure why some people buy them.

Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 07:42 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,800,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
One thing I don't get though is why some people buy 4 wheel drives when they will never need or use it. We live in Florida, no snow ever, and I still see a lot of 4wd pickups. I realize some people MAY go off roading or live on a sandy road, but most of these things will never leave the pavement. With a 4wd there are more moving parts to wear out and less gas mileage, so not sure why some people buy them.

Don
Moved from a different area
Used to pull a trailer up a boat ramp
Got a deal on a used car
HOPE to eventually use it
Use it in the rain so the the rear wheels don't break look, especially in hilly, paved, stop and go areas.
If it is a smart AWD, better performance and safety

Old 03-14-2014, 07:45 AM

3,763 posts, read 5,860,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badgmc View Post
Because we live in a country that gives us great freedoms and many choices with which to exercise those freedoms and can buy what we need, want and can afford. Quite simply, "Because I can!"
THANK YOU!! We can do that at least FOR NOW. I don't particularly want a 4 WD but if people can afford it and want to spend the gas to keep it running, then who am I to stop them?

Old 03-14-2014, 07:45 AM

508 posts, read 663,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyMarshall View Post
I am trying to figure out why people decide to buy trucks over cars?
I owned a couple of different trucks when I was building my house. I needed them to haul construction supplies. One was a Toyota truck and it got decent mileage even compared to many cars and I did drive that with the bed empty on occasion.

The other was a Chevy Silverado, I think - something like that anyway. Full size truck. I only ever drove that when I needed to haul stuff.

I would like to note - the full size Chevy and the really old Chevy van I had at one time (no power steering, no power brakes, 3 on the tree) are the ONLY vehicles that had seat belts that fit properly. The lap belt is supposed to go across the tops of your legs and the shoulder belt shouldn't come across your neck. At 5'2" its amazing to me that the only vehicles I've ever driven with comfortable properly fitting seat belts were both Testosterone-mobiles.

Old 03-14-2014, 07:47 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,915,755 times
Troll post is trollin. OP joined yesterday.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:39 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,817,168 times
OP posts a thread like this every couple of months. Ignore him.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:24 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,270,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitBanana View Post
OP posts a thread like this every couple of months. Ignore him.
Very interesting observation considering it's his first post ever.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:29 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,962 times
Quote:
Why, to make up for having tiny testicles or being a lesbian.

Or maybe because like everybody else, truck buyers choose the vehicle that best meets their needs and preferences.

You figure it out.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:33 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Default I'll keep it REAL simple

Quote:

1. hauling

2. towing

Maybe you don't need a truck.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:43 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,319,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Pickups today are pretty much like regular cars with the benefit of having a bed on back to carry stuff. My one Son has a Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab and it is as comfortable inside as my Caddy, has a full back seat, and really comes in handy when we want to tow something or haul something. We've taken long trips in it and were as comfortable as we would have been in any car.

Don
They are not much more expensive to get the 4x4 version of the truck and the 4WD PU trucks Hold the Re-sale Value better and are easier to sell trade-in later on.

Pretty much the 2WD drive version deprecates faster and is worth much less when it comes time to sell or trade it in then a similar equipped 4WD version.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive