Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 07:11 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,784,803 times

Advertisements

So I usually drive 10 over, and haven't been pulled over for anything in 9 years, but I'm moving to Vegas and apparently they write tickets for 1 over (which seem absurd as even if gauges are 99% accurate, there can be a 1 mph difference between speedo and laser speed at 50 mph).

So I've started to try and drive the speed limit and I have got to say it seems dangerous. Even with multiple left lanes being open, people tailgate like crazy, and I feel like I spend a whole lot of time looking in the rear view mirror to watch out for these tailgaters (especially the ones going super fast in the slow lane and either slam on their brakes before they get to me or do a last second lane change).

So is there any substance to the oft mentioned, with the speed of traffic protecting you legally from speeding tickets. Or is that more of a numbers game in that the cops can't get everyone in a group?

I guess equally worth while, anyone get a ticket for going less than 10 over on an interstate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2014, 07:35 AM

24,296 posts, read 17,027,498 times
around town I always drive the speed limit. On the highway I usually add 5 to the limit and people still go flying past me. I have seen speed traps on the highway where one cop is hidden and down the road is another and I have seen that one pull over 4 cars at once that were travelling in a speeding group. I have also heard a story about a guy getting pulled over out of a group of speeders. The guy "said why did you pull me over when everyone was speeding?" The cop "you are the one that stopped" I wouldn't chance it.
More than 25 years ago I got my one and only speeding ticket. a guy was tailgating me really bad so I stepped on the gas to get some distance between us but the problem was I didn't ease off and got caught. If someone tailgates me now on the highway I let them go around and on other roads I make sure I'm doing the limit. I'm not getting another expensive ticket for being stupid.
I say be safe and drive the posted limit, if more people did that there would be less accidents.

Old 03-15-2014, 07:44 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,749,717 times
Stick to the speed limit.

I have seen may times where a police office radios down to his or her partner and they will pull over the complete herd of speeders.

Old 03-15-2014, 09:29 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,006,867 times
I'd ask people on the Las Vegas board. They'd know what really happens there.

Technically, sure, at any time, any one COULD get pulled over for speeding just 1 mile over. That's why you need to know what cops do in YOUR particular area.

ARE there are speed traps? ASK around.
If there are speed cameras -- KNOW where they are.

It's NOT that hard to speed and NOT get caught.....IF you're smart about it.

Old 03-15-2014, 09:33 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,307,950 times
Just go with traffic... You'll **** me off if traffic is going 50 mph, and you're going 40mph just because the speed limit says so.

Old 03-15-2014, 09:35 AM

2,825 posts, read 2,084,130 times
OP, when I stay in LV, I always use cruise control set to the posted speed limit. This is especially true when driving on the 215 and the Summerlin Pkwy. When driving through a school zone, be watchful for the flashing lights and the posted 15 mph speed limit in some places.

Old 03-15-2014, 10:16 AM

18,887 posts, read 27,349,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDrenter223 View Post
So I usually drive 10 over, and haven't been pulled over for anything in 9 years, but I'm moving to Vegas and apparently they write tickets for 1 over (which seem absurd as even if gauges are 99% accurate, there can be a 1 mph difference between speedo and laser speed at 50 mph).

So I've started to try and drive the speed limit and I have got to say it seems dangerous. Even with multiple left lanes being open, people tailgate like crazy, and I feel like I spend a whole lot of time looking in the rear view mirror to watch out for these tailgaters (especially the ones going super fast in the slow lane and either slam on their brakes before they get to me or do a last second lane change).

So is there any substance to the oft mentioned, with the speed of traffic protecting you legally from speeding tickets. Or is that more of a numbers game in that the cops can't get everyone in a group?

I guess equally worth while, anyone get a ticket for going less than 10 over on an interstate?

NTSA permits 5% speedometer error. At 40 mph it is 2mph legal error. You can contest 1mph ticket. My Camry has 4mph error, shows faster than GPS checked one.

Old 03-15-2014, 10:49 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,907,641 times
If you're truly going with traffic, rather than faster than the rest of traffic, the odds of getting tagged for speeding are relatively low.

Old 03-15-2014, 11:01 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,823,199 times
first ask on the NV board if it's true, then worry about it.

Old 03-15-2014, 01:00 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,907,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
first ask on the NV board if it's true, then worry about it.

Good point. I find it hard to believe that tickets are commonly given out for 1 mph over the speed limit.

I don't base my driving on the fear of getting tickets, in any case. I drive the speed I want, and if I get a ticket, so be it. It doesn't happen very often. It's hard to get tickets often unless you're really driving badly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive