Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 11:28 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,487,504 times

Advertisements

Thanks
Will check out truecae's site
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 01:03 PM

13,629 posts, read 12,250,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkobe View Post
I've tried Costco, Carsdirect, Carwoo, AAA, Edmunds etc. and the cheapest is always Truecar.

I don't like Costco's program because you have to visit the dealer to see the pricing and they are often higher than others.

With Truecar, you just print out their guaranteed price and take it to the dealer. No haggling required whatsoever.
When I worked in the dealership, the Costco program got you a competitive price, but not always the guaranteed lowest price.

Old 05-02-2014, 01:32 PM

4,645 posts, read 4,503,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkobe View Post
I just did it for my Honda Civic. Got it for $17k (nearly $3k off).

Just printed it out and showed it to the salesman..... no haggling at all.
That's good to hear. Did you get a competing quote through Costco?

Old 05-02-2014, 02:00 PM

861 posts, read 1,325,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
That's good to hear. Did you get a competing quote through Costco?
All the others were over $18k. Still a good price at almost $2k off but couldn't beat Truecar.

When I tried to get them to beat the Truecar price, they said they wouldn't even sell a manual at that price. LOL

Old 05-02-2014, 02:28 PM

157 posts, read 283,467 times
For $5 I will be your lunch buying consutant

Old 05-02-2014, 05:08 PM

13,520 posts, read 21,998,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shera11375 View Post
For $5 I will be your lunch buying consutant

Me too. Pay me $10 and I guarantee your lunch will be $5 cheaper that it would be if you had purchased it yourself.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Me too. Pay me $10 and I guarantee your lunch will be $5 cheaper that it would be if you had purchased it yourself.
The $10 would be worth it if you could get it $100 cheaper than the truecar price and I don't have to waste 3 hours of my own time playing games with the dealer. That's usually how it should work, and would be worth it for me.

This article mentions how the author was able to beat the Truecar price by $700 on a Nissan Rogue, by $900 on a Subaru outback and by "several thousand" on some luxury cars. That kind of savings would be worth the $500 flat-rate consulting fee.

http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/the...ngs-1559397086

Last edited by Mr. Zero; 05-02-2014 at 08:30 PM..

Old 05-02-2014, 09:31 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,487,504 times
the daughter of our best friend is a car shopping ninja
she can haggle with the best of them
her boyfriend (now husband) had her negotiate for a truck before they were engaged--and she is the one who negotiated for her mom's current Camry...

my husband would never agree to let her be the one to negotiate the price for his car--
but she likes to haggle and he doesn't--
he does research--decides on a "fair" price and if they will meet it, he is good...
his business involved negotiating contracts and his thing is that both people need to feel they have gained something...
of course he thinks that way because he often had to do other deals with same people/company or were in partnerships with that company so wanted an amicable relationship w/o getting screwed...
not how buying a car works through when you never see the same salesman twice

Old 05-04-2014, 01:13 AM

13,520 posts, read 21,998,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
The $10 would be worth it if you could get it $100 cheaper than the truecar price and I don't have to waste 3 hours of my own time playing games with the dealer. That's usually how it should work, and would be worth it for me.

This article mentions how the author was able to beat the Truecar price by $700 on a Nissan Rogue, by $900 on a Subaru outback and by "several thousand" on some luxury cars. That kind of savings would be worth the $500 flat-rate consulting fee.

The Truth About TrueCar Savings
The article also said the car-buying consultant beat the TrueCar price ($700 on the Rogue, $900 on the Outback,etc) simply by emailing various dealers.
Does that sound like $500 worth of work?
Does that sound like something a consumer simply cannot do?

Old 05-04-2014, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
The article also said the car-buying consultant beat the TrueCar price ($700 on the Rogue, $900 on the Outback,etc) simply by emailing various dealers.
Does that sound like $500 worth of work?
Does that sound like something a consumer simply cannot do?
That's just the first part. There's also dealing with the hassle of all the different tricks dealers try to pull, adding on fees and overcharging for different plans. There's an entire thread about all the BS dealers try to pull, hiding customers keys, sneaking things into the contract and making people wait for no reason. The discount + saved time doing research + saved time from dealing with dealers + no negotiaton hassle could be worth it.

How is this different from paying someone else to do your taxes, mow your lawn or even bring you a pizza? These are all things someone could do themselves, but for some people it's worth it to pay someone else to do it for them. I would argue that car-buying is one of the most hated and stressful consumer experiences out there. If you're a car guy, already know what's legit and what's BS, and enjoy playing games with the dealer, fine. But if you just want to get the car you want at a good price, what's so bad about paying an expert to take care of it (research dealers, negotiate pricing, review the contract) so you don't have to worry about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive