U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 02:36 PM

2,493 posts, read 2,693,642 times

Advertisements

Just bought a Honda Accord EX Coupe. It came with a set of Futura 775 tires. I can't find any reviews of this tire online. I'm heading cross-country and will be traveling through winter weather conditions. I don't think the Futura's are all-season tires, but I'm not sure. I think they are cheap tires from Pep Boys. I need All-Season tires, so I'm thinking I need to buy a new set immediately.

Any suggestions on what to do?

Thanks,

greenie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 03:29 PM

WTF? I'm on tirerack and they are asking me whether I want ultra-high performance, high-performance, grand touring all-season tires.

I'm CONFUSED !!!!

Old 12-06-2007, 03:44 PM

853 posts, read 853,875 times
Truth be told - truly "all season tires" are really not meant to drive in winter conditions. True, some people get away with them, but they are only meant as a stop gap ... kind of... in a pinch sort of thing. I know some people swear by them, but I'm not one of them. Of course, we live in snow country, so that definitely colors my perspective and opinion.

If you don't need real winter tires, I would suggest looking for a fairly aggressive tread with soft rubber (all season) - Goodyear Wrangler is one that comes to mind. I had Wranglers on my Jeep Cherokee and still put snow tires on for the winter months. One of the best snow tires out there is Bridgestone Blizzak (studs unnecessary). Everyone in our family has them on their vehicles and we definitely give them two thumbs up!!

I hope this information helps some.

Old 12-06-2007, 04:04 PM

I did my research. I'm gong with Bridgestone Protenzas for $64 each. I'm not getting winter tires. Accord is FWD and decent in snow. I'm not going to be driving in back country. Most road are plowed...

Old 12-06-2007, 05:02 PM

853 posts, read 853,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
I did my research. I'm gong with Bridgestone Protenzas for $64 each. I'm not getting winter tires. Accord is FWD and decent in snow. I'm not going to be driving in back country. Most road are plowed...
Bridgestone makes a good tire - good choice~!! Please make sure you get four tires and not just two (for the front) otherwise you run a greater risk of problems. Front-wheel drive is great but all four tires have to be the same for the car to perform well.

Old 12-06-2007, 05:42 PM

301 posts, read 1,322,622 times
I had a set of Futura tires.I bought them at a Pepboys Auto parts store.Great tires.Last 3 set I have had on our chrysler mini van have been goodyear regotta's.I'm not sure of spelling.Great wearing tire.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wurd4wurd View Post
Bridgestone makes a good tire - good choice~!! Please make sure you get four tires and not just two (for the front) otherwise you run a greater risk of problems. Front-wheel drive is great but all four tires have to be the same for the car to perform well.
Yes, I am ordering 4. Thank you.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970pelle View Post
I had a set of Futura tires.I bought them at a Pepboys Auto parts store.Great tires.Last 3 set I have had on our chrysler mini van have been goodyear regotta's.I'm not sure of spelling.Great wearing tire.
I'm not comfortable driving them across country and in bad weather. They are not the best.

Old 12-07-2007, 01:57 AM

301 posts, read 1,322,622 times
The ones you my be looking at may not be the best.Don't buy the cheapest ones.Futura tires are made by Cooper.They make a good tire.I don't and wouldn't ever buy a cheap tire.They offer a higher line tire.Remember you asked

Old 12-07-2007, 10:05 AM

1,357 posts, read 4,768,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
which potenzas? I have the potenza RE92 which came as the OEM tire on my subaru. It is the worst tire I have ever owned and I hope the tire buyer at subaru dies in a fire for making the contract to equip these garbage circles on my car. i can't say enough bad things about it and i mention it in every single online survey subaru keeps sending me. lol.

i have potenza G009's on my wifes car and it is a far, far, better tire. highly reccommend. good dry and wet grip, especially for something with a 50K treadlife expectancy. not too bad in the snow, but of course its an all-season, not a snow tire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive