Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 02:23 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,442,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
If you need it, buy one and have it installed. I can understand it for people who have neck problems or people who have cars with poor visibility. Although, if the cars are now being designed so that you can't see out the back then they need to be re-designed.

I have an older car and have never had a problem parallel parking or backing up.
You can never design a car with a low enough rear to allow you to see a small child running behind it. And modern trunks are even higher than they used to be for aerodynamics.

A backup camera is a simple solution and will save a lot of lives.

I've never run over a kid either, but neither did any of the 200 people who ran over kids last year.

Old 04-03-2014, 02:24 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,011,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
A backup camera is a simple solution and will save a lot of lives.

IMO, Backup sonar is cheaper, simpler, would save just as many lives, and works better because you focus behind you rather than looking at a display on the dashboard.

Old 04-03-2014, 04:19 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,213,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
IMO, Backup sonar is cheaper, simpler, would save just as many lives, and works better because you focus behind you rather than looking at a display on the dashboard.
Excellent point.

Old 04-03-2014, 04:21 PM

1,136 posts, read 941,984 times
Quote:
That's awesome, someone is talking about installing sonars on cars to prevent us from running over people as we back out of parking spaces. This is officially the end of intelligent life on the planet. If you're that terrified of your ability to back up, you should carry police tape around in your car or truck and cordon off a block behind your vehicle every time you intend to back up. Isn't that the safest thing to do? Maybe hire a guy who will wave lighted safety batons like they do with planes?

Old 04-03-2014, 04:28 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,213,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownblues View Post
That's awesome, someone is talking about installing sonars on cars to prevent us from running over people as we back out of parking spaces. This is officially the end of intelligent life on the planet. If you're that terrified of your ability to back up, you should carry police tape around in your car or truck and cordon off a block behind your vehicle every time you intend to back up. Isn't that the safest thing to do? Maybe hire a guy who will wave lighted safety batons like they do with planes?
It's the idiots, such as people yakking on their phones who walk out behind or in front of you while you're backing that you have to worry about. They are also likely to sue YOU for their low IQ. Common sense seems to drain from one of the ears as they talk and walk!

Old 04-03-2014, 04:34 PM

45,366 posts, read 60,546,019 times
I will say that since I got my 2014 F150 a couple months ago that I can appreciate the back up camera idea. The truck is about 8 inches higher than my 2003 and you really pick it up looking over the tailgate from the cab.

Do I think they should be mandatory? No.

I don't know where the $100 cost for them is coming from, the cheapest aftermarket kit I could find with a quick look was $200. Factory installed is $450.

Old 04-03-2014, 04:38 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,011,522 times
Quote:

First off, I don't support Fed.Gov mandating any of this. It should be left to the market IMO.

Secondly, my only point was that the sonar based sensors that are already common on many cars today would be a cheaper and safer alternative to back up cameras that are apparently going to be mandated by Fed.Gov.

Perhaps you've seen those small round sensors on rear bumpers that are connected to a system in the car that produces a warning beep when you are close to an object? Let me clue you in on something: they use sonar technology.

Old 04-03-2014, 04:40 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times
Quote:
This is officially the end of intelligent life on the planet. If you're that terrified of your ability to back up...
I'm not at all terrified of backing up, that's why I don't mind the help. I think my attitude shows intelligence and it's cocksureness like yours that indicates a lack of it.

Old 04-03-2014, 04:45 PM

1,136 posts, read 941,984 times
Quote:
First off, I don't support Fed.Gov mandating any of this. It should be left to the market IMO.

Secondly, my only point was that the sonar based sensors that are already common on many cars today would be a cheaper and safer alternative to back up cameras that are apparently going to be mandated by Fed.Gov.

Perhaps you've seen those small round sensors on rear bumpers that are connected to a system in the car that produces a warning beep when you are close to an object? Let me clue you in on something: they use sonar technology.
OK, let's address each point.

If you don't support government mandating it, then we're cool. I don't care if someone wants a moonroof, lane departure warning, a spoiler, or anything else, so long as they add it on and pay for it.

My main point (to your post) is that this is how "issues" arise in today's society. Someone (not you, but the media or some "watchdog group") whips us into a frenzy where we're all terrified of catastrophic deaths from backing up cars. It's an entirely false concern. Nobody actually cares about it, yet here we are all debating it heatedly. Most "issues" are manufactured like this.

Second of all, sonars probably would be cheaper and safer, I have no idea. They're also just as unnecessary. It's like if the government mandated "underbody treatment." That's fantastic.

Lastly, I'm quite aware that sonar is currently used in cars. They're also unnecessary. Often, they're used for "adaptive cruise control," which is hilarious because if someone can't drive with cruise control, they shouldn't use it. That's the point with all of this. If you can't stay in your lane without "lane assist," you don't need lane assist, you need your license revoked. If you can't back up without a camera, then you don't need a camera, you need your license revoked.

Old 04-03-2014, 04:46 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,694,681 times
You know learning how to drive vastly helps situations like these. I'm not buying a car with a backup camera ever. It would never help me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive