Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2014, 09:28 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,211,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
Hey, you is what you is and I call 'em as I see 'em. Wear it like a badge of honor. You've obviously earned it.

As you drive your safe, regulated vehicle down a USDOT/IDOT provided and maintained road. Toodles.
Only a child would go around calling other people they know nothing about rude names, or an adult who ACTS like a child. THAT is the label you can wear here since you've shown that you can't show respect enough to agree to simply disagree without your child-like behavior.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:51 AM

957 posts, read 2,020,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
- 15 million new cars sold (aprox).
- $140 for each camera.
- this equals $2,100,000,000 for this requirement.

The CNN article states "between 59 to 69 deaths will be prevented each year" with this camera. This equals $30.4 million per person; worth it?

Change this cost to other areas; the environment, hospitals, etc. Seems a death caused by someone backing up is worth more than deaths caused in other areas.
The flaw in the math is that it is only $140 for each car that doesn't already have a screen in the car, which is just a small subset, much less for those that have a screen, and many cars today already have cameras, so that cost is actually 0. That said, it is still probably 10 million or more per life.

This regulation was originally set to go in this year. The delays in approving it over the last several years have been all about the cost per life being much higher than what NHTSA is usually willing to approve - which is generally 5-6 million. That's why the rule was not finalized years ago. As speculation, NHTSA was willing to significantly increase the cost per life saved due to reduciton in injuries as well as the number of young kids who die in backup accidents each year. Some people value those lives more.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:11 AM

1,136 posts, read 941,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I just heard that the Government will be requiring backup cameras on all new cars by 2018.
I think it makes sense for safety but do we really need this. How much will it add to the sticker cost?
Is it just another thing that will erode a drivers skill or take some responsibility away from the driver so he will have more time for texting? Soon the cars will be driving themselves.
What do you think Do we need a Gov. mandate for back up cameras?
First of all, it doesn't make sense for safety. Who doesn't know how to back up their car without a camera? If you need a backup camera, then you probably shouldn't be driving. People will say "it saves lives!!" No, it doesn't. That's a baloney argument because I can bet that almost nobody here has actually heard of anyone getting hurt by a car backing up. All this is, is the government randomly making rules for the automotive industry. The government, by the way, is great at this. People on the left love to talk about how the government saves lives -- no, they don't. Nobody in the government came up with the backup camera, designed it, or built it. They just waited until someone did and then lazily showed up and said "I demand that everyone have this!" And that's even if you actually believe that they serve any function. And if you do, then tell me how we're all still alive when 95% of us don't have backup cameras still.

Old 04-02-2014, 11:30 AM

256 posts, read 342,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
If you're not a terrorist, running a meth lab, plotting to overthrow the government, or engaging in any other criminal or terrorism-related behavior, then WTF are you so paranoid about?

Stop listening to Alex Jones, Jerome Corsi, et al and watching "Doomsday Preppers".

The government is not coming to get you because frankly, you're probably not that important and they have real threats to worry about.
Okay, that makes sense, you should only worry about privacy if you have something to hide.

Old 04-02-2014, 12:01 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,167,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownblues View Post
People will say "it saves lives!!" No, it doesn't. That's a baloney argument because I can bet that almost nobody here has actually heard of anyone getting hurt by a car backing up. ...................And that's even if you actually believe that they serve any function. And if you do, then tell me how we're all still alive when 95% of us don't have backup cameras still.
There are several posts throughout this thread linking to statistics showing people have been hurt/killed by being run over by vehicles backing up. What more evidence do you need?

Mike

Old 04-02-2014, 12:53 PM

39,856 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Seems like another huge waste of money for a great many drivers. If you are a parent with young children and don't consider yourself responsible enough to make sure they aren't behind your rig, fine, buy yourself a backup camera. Your situation, you should be the one buying it. For most others, especially those that don't live in crowded urban neighborhoods...a waste. Government mandates already add ~$5000 to the cost of a new vehicle according to some sources. Emmissions control systems, catalytic converters. Mandatory crash testing and certification. Air bags. Stability control systems. Antilock brake systems. Now backup cameras. Is it any wonder that so many can't afford a new vehicle? All of these sysems are complex, and very expensive to fix when they fail.

I will admit that they would be nice on a truck...sure might make solo-hooking to a trailer a lot easier.

Old 04-02-2014, 12:58 PM

39,856 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
- $140 for each camera.

The CNN article states "between 59 to 69 deaths will be prevented each year" with this camera. This equals $30.4 million per person; worth it?

Change this cost to other areas; the environment, hospitals, etc. Seems a death caused by someone backing up is worth more than deaths caused in other areas.
The ironic thing is that many northern states ban a piece of safety equipment that actually DOES reduce accidents and fatalities every year. Yep, they don't allow people to have them on their cars. The reason? It costs the state a few $$ a year in road maintenance. The safety device? Studded tires. States that ban them should be required to do an analysis of the cost per life saved when drivers have them.

Old 04-02-2014, 02:38 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Backup cameras are cheap with economies of scale they will drop down in price. However, no matter how much sensors and security there will always be idiots.

Old 04-02-2014, 03:16 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
Driver training = X-ray vision?

Mike
How long have cars been in the world? People don't even know how to use their mirrors to back up. You mean you're going to put a video camera on the car and expect them to back up safely?

It's not a big deal to me because I don't usually buy new but really? More regulations to drive up prices. Whatever.

Old 04-02-2014, 03:26 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,633,866 times
Quote:
- $140 for each camera.

That's not counting the people who are injured but survive. There's approximately 17,000 of them per year. And what about the property damage? My neighbor's car has a scratched bumper, cracked taillight and dented trunk lid from some idiot backing into it in a parking lot. The car is almost brand new, and of course the person who did it didn't leave a note so he's stuck with the damage because they can't afford the deductible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive